[SOLVED] Z690 motherboard required me to buy a separate GPU. Did I waste money?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I didn't know Z690 motherboard didn't have the graphics on it already. So last time I asked this question about why my monitor isn't turning on. After installing GPU, the monitor turned on.

But my only purpose of using this computer is to use a statistical software which will run 30GB big data to conduct statistical analysis. So I am wondering if I wasted my money on having to buy a GPU because I bought a motherboard which requires a separate GPU. I consider any component that doesn't speed up my big-data statistical software is a waste of money.

If the answer is yes, then I will buy a motherboard that has a graphics already. But how can I find motherboard that is at least as good as Z690 (like supporting DDR5) which has graphics? Any way to choose the criterion on NewEgg?

Solution
If your cpu is a model with a F at the end, you can not run integrated graphics and did need a discrete gpu.
OTOH, if your processor did not have an F at the end, you did waste by buying a discrete graphics card.

Usually, a non F processor which includes integrated graphics will cost about $25 more.
A very good deal if you do not need fast action graphics for games.
I didn't know Z690 motherboard didn't have the graphics on it already.

I think some motherboards did "have the graphics on it already"......................a long time ago.

Nowadays, many CPUs have integrated video. If you use one of those, you don't need a separate GPU for many purposes...quite possibly your purpose. If you were a serious gamer type, you would.

Whether you wasted money depends on:

1; what CPU you have

2; if your graphics needs can be met without a separate GPU

I haven't used a graphics card in over 10 years.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can use a CPU with integrated graphics, but in your last thread on this topic, you never supplied that information despite several posters asking for the information repeatedly.

The last mainstream consumer motherboards that I am aware of that had graphics integrated into the motherboard itself is some early budget Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards that were actually AM3 motherboards from 2008 retrofitted to use AM3+ CPUs.

So again, you don't have to buy a GPU unless you buy a CPU with integrated graphics, which means no recent Intel CPUs with an F in the model name and no recent AMD CPUs without a G in the model name.

We can give you better advice tailored to your specific hardware, but you'd need to actually tell us what CPU you're using.

If your cpu is a model with a F at the end, you can not run integrated graphics and did need a discrete gpu.
OTOH, if your processor did not have an F at the end, you did waste by buying a discrete graphics card.

Usually, a non F processor which includes integrated graphics will cost about $25 more.
A very good deal if you do not need fast action graphics for games.

Solution