Z87 MPOWER Board

jinkazuya

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Well...I read the manual...But I cannot locate the HD Audio or the 97AC connector regarding this board, and the label of the board just states Jaudio1 and that's it.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

I have the Z87 MPOWER and can confirm this. If you have both remember to plug in the HD audio, not the AC '97, as some newer boards short when the AC '97 is plugged in.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

+1 That's a good thing to on the AC '97, has MSI addressed it ?

P1nnacle

Distinguished

I don't know, but I had an XFX board that I shorted and replaced 3 times before I learned that secret. I've hated plugging things into the front panel connectors ever since. Who knows, maybe they've fixed the problem on newer boards, but it's something I still keep in mind (and definitely won't be testing to find out).

RealBeast

Titan
Since ASUS and Gigabyte have, I would expect that MSI has also on a Z87 board (they did on older boards) -- the manual should provide the definitive answer if you look in the specific section on the motherboard connector and should show pin out diagrams for both if it does support both. Any modern case should have both connectors off the front panel cable and they should be well labeled, in my experience they are by Lian-Li, Antec, Silverstone, and other major case makers.

jinkazuya

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
well...I connected the HD Audio one. However, it doesn't seem to produce any sound through the back I/O panel. I used the green plugin header of the speaker and connect it to the green jack. Not sure if I have to use optical cable or HDMI. However, I am sure I have correctly installed the right driver that comes with the motherboard installation disc.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Make sure that you have the front speakers selected in windows.

RealBeast

Titan
Did you install the motherboard sound drivers and in the device manger does the sound adapter appear without an exclamation point? Also as P1naccle said, you have to select the correct playback device in the sound control panel and insure that the volume is not muted.

You don't need the Toslink (optical audio out) or HDMI unless you connect them to a device for output instead of the mini RCA jacks, which you are using.

RealBeast

Titan
Very unlikely, did the connector seat all the way down in the port?

And did you install the sound drivers?