Zero Display Error--ATI X700

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Hi Guys

I have a old X700 in my system thats recently be giving me problems. A while back (around the Catalyst 7.12) I decided to update my drivers and I hit an error.

Essentially, when I try to install the new ATI drivers (even the new 8.4) it says "Zero Display Error". All the other stuff gets installed fine. GPU-Z and the Catalyst control center CAN find the X700. When I right click properties I see my X700.

The problem is that frame rates are horrible, even on old games like Homeworld 2. Also, my PC randomly turns on and off when certain video files are opened. ( they are of mpg, avi and other types. They open up fine on my laptop)

I thought it could be system related but my specs seem good:

Q6600 (not OCd)
2 gigs kingston 667 ram
320 gig Western Digital HDD
80 gig Samsung HDD
2 DVD Drives
550 Watt Max Power PSU (not exactly reputable, but still, 550 watts)
Asus 680i SLI Striker Extreme II
ATI X700

What do you guys think is the problem? Did the X700 die? It came from my uncle used...

Thanks

Fire_Zealot

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
hehe no kidding. I was going to get a 8800GT or something when it came out but it was about 100 dollars more expensive when it came out here in turkey.

Now that the 4800s are here I'm going to try and upgrade around September, but I may have to bite the bullet and get it now if the X700 is bugged. The random system restarts in particular are annoying to deal with, I can go without gaming on the PC for a while...