Portal

Page 4 - Forum discussion tagged with Portal.
  1. P

    I need a GPU for a Gateway FMCP7AM mobo with E5200 cpu

    I'm new to pc gaming and I'm trying to outfit my current pc to a playable machine. I'm just completely overwhelmed by all the choices and my legacy hardware makes it even more confusing. What should I be aware of when looking for a compatible GPU? I have 6G RAM and play on a 1080 tv. I also...
  2. S

    west coast custom map server

    Archived from groups: alt.games.quake3 (More info?) I set up a server at nuclearfallout.net (Seattle) that runs custom maps. Pings are really good if you are anywhere near there, and maps can be had from my webpage: http://sittingduck.nuclearfallout.net Current map rotation is posted there...
  3. T

    New RAM needing new settings?

    Hello, I've just upgraded my RAM after identifying faulty RAM with memtest. Previously, it was running 2 x A-RAM DDR2 2GB-800, and now it is running 2 x GSKILL DDR2 2GB-1066 (which IS supported by my mobo (ASUS G1-P5G43, but only in A1 and B1 DIMM slots). Then, I had some serious freezing...
  4. S

    Greetings, Newbie over here

    Hi, as you can see I'm a newbie here at the forums as well as the computer technical stuff, although I've always been an aficionado of it. I've tried asking the following questions on other forums, and about 80-90% of the time the response is "go to TomsHardware", and thats mostly in the...
  5. D

    Level up suggestions for Drd 5

    Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?) I'm currently playing the Shadowlords series with an Elven Druid level 5. I'm about to make L6 in Shadowlords 4, and am trying to decide on the next level up. I'm considering L6 as Rogue, Wizard, or another level of Druid on my...
  6. C

    What happened to my fan! - 9600gt

    Hi all. Ever since I got my 9600gt, I've been able to control the fan speed with RivaTuner. I installed mass effect (including 1.01a patch) today and when I went to RivaTuner to change my card settings, the fan tab was missing! I checked nVidia control panel and the fan control section is grayed...
  7. G

    installation woes

    Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?) Installed BF1942 installed the battlefield_1942_patch_v1.6.19.exe (274,248kb) then installed DesertCombat0_7FullInstall.exe (605,472kb) then installed dc_final_client.exe (369,706kb) THESE ARE SHOWN EXACTLY AS THEY...
  8. B

    wireless security (web) key

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?) how do I get my wireless security (web) key
  9. G

    DoomRL 0.9.6 Released!

    Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?) As some DoomRL activity has been born on this newsgroup I decided to post also here, hope you don't mind :D --- DoomRL Version 0.9.6 is out! Grab it while it's hot! A lot new stuff in this version, and a helluva lot bugfixes (some...
  10. N

    No display- 4870x2 crossfire x

    Hello, Firstly here are my system specs (default settings - not overclocked) Intel E8600 CPU 3.33 GHZ Asus Rampage Formula x48 Mobo w/ latest 410 bios update on August (Chipset drivers installed) 4x1 GB Patriot E.P.P. DDR2 PC2-9600 @ 1200MHZ 2x 10k rpm WD sata Hardrives 1 sata dvd rw...
  11. G

    Isle of the Cult: Hint Request [SPOILERS]

    Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?) Hi everyone. I've managed to piggy-back on other people's requests up to now, but I'm stuck on (what should be) one of the last puzzles. Lighting the beacon to signal the boatman. The game won't accept anything in my inventory as...
  12. A

    switching HD

    Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?) If I take a hard drive from a Gateway (Essentials, running ME), and put it into a Presario 5000, it apparently might or might not run. BUT, is there any danger to the hd in trying? Could anything on the hd become overwritten, or would...
  13. A

    Testing msahci sys driver

    How do I check if MSAHCI.sys driver is being used in my machine. Let me know how and what needs to be done while testing msahci.sys driver. Both of the above questions are in refference to Win7. Thanks, Andrew
  14. A

    How does 5" SATA Drive go in a 5.25" Drive bay - Question

    Hi again, one more hurdle before I make the purchase, I have a Full ATX Black Armor ThermalTake Tower that has 10 External 5.25" Drive Bays, 2 - external 3.5", 6 internal - 3.5" Internal, and 7 Expansion slots. I will be buying 2 5" SATA Drives. Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black...
  15. G

    6110 Officejet ejects blank pages only.

    Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?) This printer was working fine. I got a new computer and installed the latest HP all in one drivers from the web, device was recognized and test page was OK. I noticed it wouldn't print from windows applications. It would start and just...
  16. badge

    Attention Men. Gizmodo Technology Alert.

    Travel plans? What's that weapon in your pants? http://gizmodo.com/5464262/the-tsas-new-genital-visualizer-will-probably-upset-travelers http://video.aol.ca/video-detail/tsa-penis-scanner-tsa-unveils-new-genital-visualizers/1097786452/?icid=VIDLRVTRV02
  17. C

    Need advice/criticism on first time build

    Hello Everyone, Recently - and quite out of the blue - my wife bought me an Antec 900 case because she had been listening to me hankering for a new computer for a while. Beyond normal computer use, I plan to use this future build for gaming (more strategy games than Bioshock, though I'm...
  18. S

    Super Budget PC 250$

    Ok, so im building a pc for my little brother for his birthday, and i only have 250 bucks, so i spent the last few days looking to the best deal. i was able to grab an old case and a spare PSU 450watt. Tell me what you think, and if i should buy him COD4. like will it play it 2x STT...
  19. R

    My computer is not shut down

    My computer is not
  20. H

    Are all SLI bridges the same?

    Ok, I'm a little peeved at newegg right now, I bought an MSI PRO-E board from them and it clearly shows in the picture it comes with an sli bridge, but it didn't, they mislabeled it when its really a crossfire bridge. So my question is I have an SLI bridge from an older Gigabyte board so will it...
  21. D

    Does someone have the FF3 Cobra One installer?

    Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?) I can host it, if someone can send it to me. dan dot king 1 at ntlworld dot com Dan
  22. G

    Internet Explorer stopped responding with installation of ..

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?) I've installed a Linksys wireless G router (WRT54G) and matching notebook adapters (WPC54G v2) in my two laptops--a Dell and a Toshiba, both running Windows XP Home. The Dell works great. On the Toshiba, Internet...
  23. C

    Are all SLI Bridge Connectors the same?

    I upgraded to a 8800GTS (512mb) in my Dell replacing the original 7900GS. I have a friend that has an XPS 710 with a 7900GS and figured that I could give him my old card so he could run them in SLI. Does he have to buy the SLI bridge from Dell ($50+) or can we just source one online?
  24. G

    8400 can't burn DVD

    Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?) After using cd21.exe, downloaded from dell.com, to flash the Philips DVD burner's firmware I successfull burned one DVD to about half capacity. Burn speed went from 4x before flash to 15x afterward. Then three failures with the same...
  25. A

    Bolstering Resume

    Hello all I'm currently a Junior at a Midwestern University. Just recently joined this discussion board even though I have been lurking in the shadows for a few years. To cut to the chase I'm studying Management Information Systems which for those of you who don't know even though I assume you...
  26. G

    [FM2005] All English Side Version2

    Archived from groups: alt.games.champ-man (More info?) Have decided to take a break from my AGCM game (If I play more I'll have even more screens to post). So have decided to revise an earlier idea from CM03/04 : This time only using players with first nationality english, and see how...
  27. G

    HP9000 D220 SCSI Disk (controller) and DLT problem

    Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?) I have a HP9000 D220 server and need more disk space. I have a 36GB SCSI disk (part number D33019), but this disk does not seem to work with the scsi controller (A2874-66005). Does anyone know if it is possible to get this disk working...
  28. randomizer

    Australian Internet filter gets a green light

    http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2009/115 Also, here's the official report on the filter: http://whirlpool.net.au/img/article/1852/isp_filtering_live_pilot_report_low_res.pdf
  29. G

    Adding New Hard Drives & Memory

    Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?) Could someone please provide assistance with adding new hard drives. I have recently purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.2 system and wish to make some of my own upgrades. The units has 1GB of RAM, 1 x Maxtor 250GB Hard Driver, 1 x DVD...
  30. badge

    How cold is it where you are?

    It's cold.
  31. G

    Very basic laptop battery questions

    Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?) I am thinking of ordering a wireless Dell Inspiron 1150. This would be my first notebook computer. I have a question about the battery choices which are: 65 whr 8-cell versus 96 whr-12 cell. Ok, the Dell site indicates the latter will...
  32. B

    EVGA GTX 550Ti - Dell Inspiron?

    Hey, I'm upgrading my old Dell Inspiron 530 desktop so I can play games like Vindictus, Minecraft, Battlefield 3 at medium settings [maybe higher?] Right now my dell is all stock http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 /...
  33. W

    ghost XP IDE drive to SATA drive

    How to get it to boot, keeping programs and data intact?
  34. L

    Reinstalled XP on my Dell, now only have USB v1

    Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?) My Dimension 4550 has been running increasingly sluggishly and crashing ever more frequently after about 2 years of use, so I decided to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows XP from scratch. Good decision, it's made a huge...
  35. B

    [SOLVED] Does dvd+r disks work for mac computers?

    I have a 2004 mac G5. Does dvd+r dl blank disks work on my computer? Is there a way to get it to work? I'm trying to burn a program on it that is 6 gigs.
  36. Vaqh

    Be Quiet good PSU's?

    do be quiet make good PSU's? if not, can someone suggest a good psu brand?
  37. O

    How do I know if my motherboard supports hyper-threading?

    Hello, I wanted to purchase this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131994 In the specifications, it is listed that turbo boost technology 2.0 is supported, but it doesn't mention anything about hyper-threading. My question is, if I buy an intel I7-4770k...
  38. K

    Trivia Question

    Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?) I am seeking the answer to the following trivia question: "Favorite cereal of the title character in Seinfeld? Thanks for any help.
  39. T

    Halo 2 and broadband article

    An article about broadband use since the release of Halo 2: <A HREF="http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-5481727.html" target="_new">http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-5481727.html</A> the Prisoner I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:
  40. G

    Dell and Default Browser

    Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?) My default browser is Mozilla. Went to the Dell Alert website (to help a friend who couldn't find something) and when I clicked on 'what to do before downloading SP2'), it opened in an IE window. Anyone one how to make Dell respond to...