damnbuoy

Reputable
Jun 6, 2018
Hi there,

I have an ASRock Z370 Taichi and its acting wierd.
Its not posting after a successful post, and now somehow the bios is reverted back to one it was shipped with v1.3.
Once when I was trying to turn on the PC after multiple failed attempt to get post screen, it was showing something like "Backing up B - > A" and now when It somehow posts, the bios version shows 1.3, I was on 4.2 since 2 years?!

The system simply wont post after a shutdown, The motherboard shows 00 code on small display attached on mobo.

It wont let me flash bios or update it either, no methods are working, instant flash, flash from windows, efi shell, nothing!

when trying to flash via efi shell
"12 error - no non-critical blocks found in rom file"

when trying to flash via windows
"Secure Flash Check Failed" after auto reboot in bios.

when trying with instant flash,
system wont post as I mentioned earlier.

What can be the possible solution? bios chip replacement? or can I flash bios somehow using some alternate method?
ps: the board came with SMD type Bios chip and there are two of them right next to each other. (Prolly backup bios chip?)

Solution
the board came with SMD type Bios chip and there are two of them right next to each other. (Prolly backup bios chip?)
it should be, M_Bios and B_Bios (on gigabyte mobos, main and backup) are usually near eachother, so yeah, you will always revert to the old bios shipped with the mobo if you have flash chip failure. one if you have the hands to desolder and solder them, then you could find the same bios chip and flash it with something like ch341a programmer, and solder back the bios chip, and hope everything's normal.

OR simply just desolder both of them, and switch their place, Backup bios placed on main bios and vice versa.
the board came with SMD type Bios chip and there are two of them right next to each other. (Prolly backup bios chip?)
it should be, M_Bios and B_Bios (on gigabyte mobos, main and backup) are usually near eachother, so yeah, you will always revert to the old bios shipped with the mobo if you have flash chip failure. one if you have the hands to desolder and solder them, then you could find the same bios chip and flash it with something like ch341a programmer, and solder back the bios chip, and hope everything's normal.

OR simply just desolder both of them, and switch their place, Backup bios placed on main bios and vice versa.

Solution