Question 0xc000021a BSoD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2019
So a couple of months ago I had gotten a Z390 -A Pro replacement mobo for my birthday. It's kinda blurry, the events leading up to my problem. But one day I went to start up my computer and started getting BSoD errors,(the few I can remember are, "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT", "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", and "0xc000021a". It didn't start off that bad, only occurring randomly, but over some time it got constant. I ended up short-circuiting my mobo and completely screwed it. I sold that set of ram to a friend for a new pair of headphones because I got a new kit of ram thinking that was the problem. Now recently I just bought a new mobo and once I got everything installed, I WAS STILL GETTING THE SAME ISSUES, mainly "0xc000021a". I slapped Windows 10 media creation tool on my USB and when loading that up I was still getting the same error as trying to load the OS. I kept at it tho and I got into the media screen. I had been thinking about it for a while prior to all this error crap. I formatted all my drives and installed windows 10. But the install BSoD-ed and got ruined. I'm at a loss right now to what the hell could be the problem. I was still getting the error with-out an OS. I tried to install, CentOS and Windows 8.1, which I was able to install Windows 8.1 and boot into. I had a separate USB with BSoD Viewer and all my BSoDs were related to, "ntoskrnl.exe" which would explain the kernel crashes. But I haven't been able to but into since and it only goes as far as auto repair. MemTest86 get 10k errors with-in the 25% of pass 1 with both DIMMs and it stops the test. I tried them separately. Both getting a substantial amount of errors. I've also tried to start up with only the essentials in it, and still, it leads me to the same thing.

~thank you in advance for helping me!!!! :)

pc specs: i59600K, GTX 1050ti 0c, 16gbs ddr4 @2400mhz, and an MPG Z390 Gaming Plus

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

MemTest86 get 10k errors with-in the 25% of pass 1 with both DIMMs and it stops the test.
If this is the case, before anything else, can you clarify this is regardless as to what RAM stick you use or what slot it is in? And this is with new RAM?
Did you have the same problem with the old RAM?
Have you tried clean reinstalling Windows?

Please see this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/ As it will give you a guide on what information to give us (for example the dump file) so that we can assist you further.

Aug 5, 2019
It started with my original set of ram. But I got a new kit because originally I had thought that as to be the issue. I tried the test with both of them in the optimal DIMMS, and when I tested them separately, I kept the singular module in the first optimal slot. And MemTest doesn't show me the previous tests. and I can't get that far as to load the media creation tool again, because it gives me the 0xc000021a error.

and thank you for the welcome:)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes sir, well more like before it loads. I was also getting it with-out an OS. And when I tried to install CentOS, it gave me a kernel crash too
In which case you're probably looking at a hardware fault.
Are you RAM modules from the same pack? Have they been installed as per the motherboard manual?
What is your PSU make and model?
When you say you got a motherboard replacement, was the issue occurring with your previous motherboard?

Aug 5, 2019
In which case you're probably looking at a hardware fault.
Are you RAM modules from the same pack? Have they been installed as per the motherboard manual?
What is your PSU make and model?
When you say you got a motherboard replacement, was the issue occurring with your previous motherboard?
2x8 Vengence LPX for my RAM, and yes they are in the correct DIMM slots.
My psu is a Photon750 80+ gold from Rosewill
and indeed, the problem started before I replaced my mobo.

Aug 5, 2019
Have you updated BIOS of the MB?
Do you have another storage drive you can test with?
My MB is updated to the newest version, It's only a week or so old
I tried installing to my m.2 when I was able to even load it. (Windows10ISO)
And yea the problem was occurring previously to upgrading the MB and ram

Aug 5, 2019
When I say try a different storage device, just to clarify, completely remove all other storage devices, then retry the installation.
I have 4 storage devices, 500GbHDD, 1TB HDD, 60Gb SSD, and a 120Gb m.2. what I typically keep my OS on is the 60Gb SSD. Should I put the OS on one of the HDDs?(as painful as it would be)

Aug 5, 2019
So I reinstalled the Windows 10 ISO onto one of my flash drives. And no cigar, it gives me the 21a bug check while the loading wheel was spinning. I got one successful "boot", but that's all it was. It froze as the screen turned that purple color.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, to clarify:
  • You got a new motherboard, and the issue persisted.
  • You got new RAM and the issue persisted.
  • You have tried a different storage drive entirely, and the issue persisted.
  • And you get the error even when simply trying to install windows?
  • BIOS is up to date.
If all the above are correct, then now trying one of your HDDs with all the others removed will be worth trying in case it is the M2 that was the issue being as all drives have been connected up to now.

May be worth clearing CMOS just to ensure there are no out of default BIOS settings.

After that, I'd try removing the GPU and running on integrated. Sounds like it is hardware, it's just finding out what component.

Aug 5, 2019
Ok, so I did what you said, and with some persistence(and about 20 BSoDs later), I was able to get it installed but that's about it. Still trying to load up the drive to do the second step aka the personalization part. But I'm only still getting BSoDs(Mainly the 21a error but I've also got, "System_Service_Exception")
*Cleared CMOS and am using IG
And yea, all of that is correct

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you're still getting BSOD don't worry about trying to go through it. We're just trying to eliminate hardware.
I'd potentially be looking at CPU at this point. Faulty PSUs are more common, but I would suspect less likely to cause your issue.

You encountered the BSOD with the GPU uninstalled?

You're getting BSOD no matter what, even with a new motherboard and RAM.
Are you able to check the CPU for any potential damage as well as any bent pins in the socket.
What CPU temperatures do you get in the BIOS?

Aug 5, 2019
Yea, that's what I was originally thinking it was.
Correct, even with the GPU unmounted
I took the CPU out and cleaned it, no visual signs of damage and in bios,it's at 29C

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
At your point it was clarifying which hardware to fault:

RAMMemtest - errors present
Swapped RAM
Issue persists
StorageSwapped storage driveIssue persists
MotherboardSwapped motherboardIssue persists
Graphics CardRemoved GPUIssue persists
OSReinstalledIssue persists
BIOSUpdated BIOSIssue persists
PSU??????
CPUTemperatures normal
No signs of damage
???

Only other thing to consider is removing all other USB drives, any network PCI cards etc. And just retesting. I don't suspect it will make any difference, but it's worth the try just to eliminate it.

If there was a short on the case I'd also expect there to be a different problem, rather than various BSOD.

Aug 5, 2019
it would be a way to test if CPU was to blame, it was showing as a question mark in PC Tailors last post,
I was just trying to help
I wasn't being a dick about it, I was genuinely wondering.
But my problem is I can't boot into windows. the furthest I get is WindowsPE Recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.