[SOLVED] $1200 Workstation/Gaming Build

Hello Everyone ,

long time no see , so here's my current system specs :
  • Intel i7-4790K @4.7Ghz
  • Asus Z97-AR
  • 16 GB DDR3 @2444mhz
  • Sapphire R9-390
  • The rest is irrelevant
Anyways backstory time , I am a computer Engineer and my work require me to do a lot of stuff at home so having a workstation at my place is a blessing to monitor some stuff or theory-craft as well as finish due projects. My work involves a lot of multi-threaded tasks , hosting multiple Virtual Machines ( Virtual Box not Hyper-V ) and other operating systems on top of the host OS , running 24/7 is an absolute must and work includes a lot of heavy computation done in Java and Python. The problem is that my current system was built primarily for gaming however college and work happened and I had to adapt and adjust , the current system is not up-to task with handling a lot of the workload I am throwing at and I thought I would really use more computation power for more swift task completion so I thought I could use more cores and threads however I have been very out of loop with the current technology since early 2016 . With all of that said , I still do some light gaming on the side on 1440p in my spare time so I am in the market for a new system however I am on a tighter budget that I would really like to have.

So the build I was considering after a little bit of light research is :

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GZRr6R

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1114.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 00:58 EDT-0400

Could still swap the 3700x with 3800x though , I'll do little to no over-clocking as I really need stability in my system more than the slight performance gain . Still don't want the rig to suck at gaming though because It's a luxury I would like to have. I am pretty much settled on the Radeon 5700 XT and I will re-use my storage / PSU / Case from my older system so you needn't worry about that in the budget however the additional 2 TB are there for convenience . Furthermore I was thinking about adding an aftermarket cooler however I really can't exceed $1200 So please answer if you can bring some experience to the table .

N.B I am still looking at whether the Motherboard supports virtualization or not so an answer on that too would be very helpful.

Thanks and sorry for the long post ,

Last edited:
Solution
Hello Everyone ,

• Intel i7-4790K @4.7Ghz
  • Asus Z97-AR
  • 16 GB DDR3 @2444mhz
  • Sapphire R9-390
  • The rest is irrelevant
Anyways backstory time , I am a computer Engineer and my work require me to do a lot of stuff at home so having a workstation at my place is a blessing to monitor some stuff or theory-craft as well as finish due projects. My work involves a lot of multi-threaded tasks , hosting multiple Virtual Machines ( Virtual Box not Hyper-V ) and other operating systems on top of the host OS , running 24/7 is an absolute must and work includes a lot of heavy computation done in Java and Python. The problem is that my current system was built primarily for...
Oct 13, 2019
Hi,

Your build looks decent, but I wouldn't bother with an old 3.5" slow drive.
Get a 1 TB ssd for about 100$ instead.

Also, I would choose either nitro+ or red devil card, but gigabyte is decent enough.

And stay with 3700x, 3800x not worth it, imho.

For PSU I would recommend Corsair RM (2019) 750 W

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Hello Everyone ,

• Intel i7-4790K @4.7Ghz
  • Asus Z97-AR
  • 16 GB DDR3 @2444mhz
  • Sapphire R9-390
  • The rest is irrelevant
Anyways backstory time , I am a computer Engineer and my work require me to do a lot of stuff at home so having a workstation at my place is a blessing to monitor some stuff or theory-craft as well as finish due projects. My work involves a lot of multi-threaded tasks , hosting multiple Virtual Machines ( Virtual Box not Hyper-V ) and other operating systems on top of the host OS , running 24/7 is an absolute must and work includes a lot of heavy computation done in Java and Python. The problem is that my current system was built primarily for gaming however college and work happened and I had to adapt and adjust , the current system is not up-to task with handling a lot of the workload I am throwing at and I thought I would really use more computation power for more swift task completion so I thought I could use more cores and threads however I have been very out of loop with the current technology since early 2016 . With all of that said , I still do some light gaming on the side on 1440p in my spare time so I am in the market for a new system however I am on a tighter budget that I would really like to have.

So the build I was considering after a little bit of light research is :

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GZRr6R

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1114.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 00:58 EDT-0400

Could still swap the 3700x with 3800x though , I'll do little to no over-clocking as I really need stability in my system more than the slight performance gain . Still don't want the rig to suck at gaming though because It's a luxury I would like to have. I am pretty much settled on the Radeon 5700 XT and I will re-use my storage / PSU / Case from my older system so you needn't worry about that in the budget however the additional 2 TB are there for convenience . Furthermore I was thinking about adding an aftermarket cooler however I really can't exceed $1200 So please answer if you can bring some experience to the table .

N.B I am still looking at whether the Motherboard supports virtualization or not so an answer on that too would be very helpful.

Thanks and sorry for the long post ,

3800x just has higher clock speeds so not really worth in my opinion. I would say switch to a 1TB SSD if you have the budget. Something like a Samsung 860 Evo would do just fine. Also the cooler that comes with the CPU is plenty enough seeing as you aren't overclocking. They can handle them even if you do OC 😊

Solution