Question 12v rail issues on Corsair HX1050 ?

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Hi my pc specs are
Corsair HX1000 1050w
CPU I7-12700k
RTX 2080 super Waterforce
Motherboard is a Asus ROG Strix Z790
Corsair Vengeance 16GB ram kit
Corsair MP510 M.2 drive
Samsung 512GB M.2
Cooling is a custom watercooled loop

I am currently experiencing issues with my system just randomly going to a black screen and sometimes the 1 of the 6 pin connector lights on the GPU will light up and stay on. Other times it will black screen then reboot straight back into windows, It will also refuse to post at all and I'll get the RGB on the RAM and motherboard will light up but there will be no RGB on the GPU no fan will spin and the pump wont start. The PSU fan will spin for 2-3 seconds and then stop and there is no output on both monitors. There was also no diagnostic LEDs lighting up.

Also I tried to run benchmarks and the very second I hit start the system rebooted. Yesterday I noticed the 12v rail was dropping rather low it was idling at 11.424v and was fluctuating between 11.424v and 11.724v. It dropped as low as 10.928v for a brief moment then picked up again. When I put the system under load it will shoot straight back up to 11.524v and fluctuate upto 11.808v and 11.904v.

Then I unplugged all power connections and then tested the PSU with a PSU tester and all looked good and then plugged everything back in and now the 12v rail is setting steady at 11.904v. I am rebuilding the system in the next few days and I'm not sure if I need a new PSU yet as I have had the PSU since 2016 and it was a refurbished unit from Scan. I have the pc plugged directly into a wall socket.

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Update:

I've checked temps and when idling/light tasks CPU sits at 30 degrees GPU sits at 33 degrees. under load 63 degrees on the CPU and 55 on the gpu. Voltages have been monitored through BIOS Hwmonitor and OCCT and ll 3 report the same on the 12v rail. I've ran MEMTEST through BIOS no errors reported. I'm also running 2 separate 8 pin connectors from the PSU to the GPU. I've confirmed all connectors going into the PSU are in properly and secure. The PSU could be upto 14 years old as I've had it for 8 years and it was a refurbished unit when I bought it from Scan computers back in may 2016.

You need a new PSU, its 8 years old and a refurbished one at that. On a higher end computer 8 years is a good run for a PSU, also those 2080's have some bad power spikes that will trip a PSU. I had a 2080 Ti that would trip my PSU like someone was hitting the reset button on the computer.