2 hdd and 2 different os

chknntz

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I have a windows vista 32 bit os and a 320 gig hd, and I just built a windows 7 64 bit os with a 500 gig hd. Is there any way that I can install the 320 gig in my new pc without losing the data on it and it working off of the windows 7?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, easily. You have the 500 GB unit working now as your C: drive with Win 7 64-bit installed. Just mount the 320 GB unit in your case and connect up the power and data cables. When you boot up (assuming your BIOS has the port Enabled) it should be in Win 7 again, but you should find your 320 GB unit as a new second hard drive. It will contain all your old files untouched. It also will contain the old installation of Win Vista. But it will ignore that and NOT try to use it unless you tell it to do so.

In this configuration you even could boot and from the old Vista, then go back and switch to Win 7 again. Within your BIOS Setup screens one parameter group you set is the Boot Priority Sequence. Usually you have it try your optical drive first, then your hard drive with the OS installed on it, and no other choice. So right there you could tell it either to boot from the 500 GB unit with Win 7, or from the 320 GB unit with Vista, and it will do what it's told. To change, you have to go back into BIOS Setup and change the boot device specification again.

chknntz

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for the input, I just built my first pc and it went really good but the wife was upset about all the music and pics on the old hd and she didnt want to lose any of it so I'm backing it up on a portable hd before I try to put both of them together, thanks for all the help!!!!