Question 2014~ Macbook Pro Randomly Shuts Down, but ONLY in OSX

nimlux

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
My macbook has had an issue when I boot into OSX where it will randomly shut off from 1 ~ 5 minutes and is random every time. I tried taking it into the apple store to be fixed but they had no idea what the issue could be and suggested I factory reset it to fix it. I did this and it did not solve the problem.

Keep in mind I have bootcamp, running windows 10, and it works perfectly fine and still does to this day as I'm currently posting on said macbook.

The issue only occurs in OSX, I've tried factory resetting it, running older versions of OSX and nothing seems to fix it. I have no idea what could be causing this issue and its extremely frustrating since the majority of my hard drive is partitioned with OSX and I only have 75gb partitioned for bootcamp so It would be nice to be able to at least increase the bootcamp partition but I am not able to even do that as it shuts down too quickly anytime I've tried to use OSX.

I recently re-installed the latest version of OSX after resetting it again and I can't even boot into OSX to set it up without it shutting down.

I'm able to use OSX recovery mode, but normal OSX doesn't work at all, it gets halfway through the loading bar and the screen turns black, the fans run at full speed and then it shuts down.

At this rate if I was even able to just install bootcamp on the full hard drive I would settle for that but this is just annoying.

Specs:
Macbook pro 15inch mid 2014
2.2 ghz intel core i7
16gb 1600 mhz ddr3
intel iris pro 1536mb

Last edited:

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
Try these steps...
  1. reboot and hold CMD+R until the apple logo appears.
  2. Open Terminal (located in finder in the Utilities Folder)
  3. Copy and paste this and then press enter: sudo csrutil disable
  4. Now restart in normal mode (without pressing any keys)
  5. Go back to terminal and copy and paste this command and then press enter: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK
  6. Now restart and press and press and hold CMD+R right when it turns on until you see the apple logo.
  7. Go to terminal again and copt and paste this command and then press enter: csrutil enable
  8. Finally, restart and it should work no problem.
If this doesn't work... please reply to this message.

nimlux

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
Try these steps...
  1. reboot and hold CMD+R until the apple logo appears.
  2. Open Terminal (located in finder in the Utilities Folder)
  3. Copy and paste this and then press enter: sudo csrutil disable
  4. Now restart in normal mode (without pressing any keys)
  5. Go back to terminal and copy and paste this command and then press enter: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK
  6. Now restart and press and press and hold CMD+R right when it turns on until you see the apple logo.
  7. Go to terminal again and copt and paste this command and then press enter: csrutil enable
  8. Finally, restart and it should work no problem.
If this doesn't work... please reply to this message.

So I tried following this, the csrutil command wouldnt work in regular rescue mode so I booted into internet rescue mode and that worked. I then rebooted into OSX, but it won't even boot into it. It just loads the apple logo then the screen turns black and then it shuts off in 30sec ~ 1min.

Is it possible to execute the file changes via recovery mode?
Otherwise I'm not sure how I'm supposed to even fix this if I can't even boot into OSX.

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
So I tried following this, the csrutil command wouldnt work in regular rescue mode so I booted into internet rescue mode and that worked. I then rebooted into OSX, but it won't even boot into it. It just loads the apple logo then the screen turns black and then it shuts off in 30sec ~ 1min.

Is it possible to execute the file changes via recovery mode?
Otherwise I'm not sure how I'm supposed to even fix this if I can't even boot into OSX.
Sorry to here that... I’ll do some research and get back to you in a little bit.

nimlux

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
Sorry to here that... I’ll do some research and get back to you in a little bit.
Appreciate it.

I also tried installing Mac OS X Yosemite because I did not used to have this issue until I updated my OS to newer versions of Mac OS. But the problem still occured not sure what to even do.

I can't get it to even boot into the mac partition without it just getting a quarter way through the apple loading bar and then the screen turns black, fans go full power and it shuts off in 20~40 seconds.

nimlux

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
So I was able to get Yosemite installed by booting into safe mode, it works for the most part it in safe mode.

I tried doing the csrutil on safemode but it still says that command does not exist.

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
So I was able to get Yosemite installed by booting into safe mode, it works for the most part it in safe mode.

I tried doing the csrutil on safemode but it still says that command does not exist.
sorry for giving you the wrong command... instead try this command: csrutil disable

Still doing research but I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible...

Last edited: