[SOLVED] 2060 Super > I7 7700k bottleneck?

DiabolusVolente

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Evening gents, I’m looking to upgrade my GPU atm. After couple of days doing research I think I’ll go for the 2060 Super 8GB from gigabyte. The only thing stopping me from placing my order right now is bottleneck. I’m not sure if there will be any horrible bottleneck or if it’s still decent. I can’t find the card on bottleneck checker so I’m looking for people to explain if there is any. Running an i7 7700k with nzxt x62 liquid cooling Z270F mobo and 16GB ram.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read/respond appreciate the help!

Solution
So you really like the 2060 Super? And ye I guess I’m on a old 60hz Samsung monitor too.

If you are stuck on a 60Hz 1080p monitor, then there is no point in spending money on an RTX 2060.

What is your current video card?

If you're going to keep your existing monitor for a while, AND your current card is not up to the task of gaming at 1920x1080@60fps, then I'd suggest, in order of performance lower-to-higher (prices indicate US prices):
  • RX 570 (mid-to-high details, avg around 60fps, starts around $120 for the 4GB model, $10-$20 more for the 8GB model)
  • RX 580 (high-to-max details avg around 60fps, starts around $160 for the 8GB model)
  • GTX 1660 (high-to-max details, more solidly 60fps, starts around $200)
  • GTX...

WildCard999

Titan
I think 1080 Tbh, my monitor is kind of “old” so I’m not sure tbh. I don’t think Im on 1440
It's probably 1080P, anyways it'll be fine but if for some reason you do see very low GPU usage you can always utilize Nvidia DSR. What it does it render the game at a higher resolution then scale it back to your native resolution. This utilizes the GPU more and can make the game look a bit better then AA options (works great in anime style games such as Xenoverse).

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

2x DSR, in the Nvidia Control Panel is what I'd probably start with although it may not even be needed as the 7700 & 2060S is a good pairing.

Yes, that's your PSU, but it's a very poor quality power unit. Looks like some Generic or low-end budget Model to me. Inter-Tech CombatPower CPM-750W. This is not a well known and popular PSU brand.

https://m.computeruniverse.net/en/inter-tech-combatpower-cpm-750w

I won't recommend this PSU to power up any Gaming PC. Just stay away from this unit. Get yourself a high quality PSU from reputed Brands like SEASONIC, BE quiet, EVGA, Corsair, ANTEC, and other similar brands/OEMs.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp.

Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Reactions: DiabolusVolente
Sorry for spamming, and rushing u with my load of questions, how about this one? And is 650 enough to power everything in my pc? https://www.megekko.nl/product/4186/186193/PC-Voedingen-PSU-/Corsair-TX650M-V2-PSU-PC-voeding

No. You are not spamming by any means. Anyways, YES, that's a very good high quality PSU. No worries here. 650 Watts should be sufficient/enough, though for some extra headroom, OC, and future upgrades you can get a slightly higher wattage PSU as well.

But I don't think it would be necessary. Get this Corsair Model. Quality of the PSU matters, not wattage.

DiabolusVolente

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
No. You are not spamming by any means. Anyways, YES, that's a very good high quality PSU. No worries here. 650 Watts should be sufficient/enough, though for some extra headroom, OC, and future upgrades you can get a slightly higher wattage PSU as well.

But I don't think it would be necessary. Get this Corsair Model. Quality of the PSU matters, not wattage.
Alright I really appreciate the help and fast response. Is this PSU going to work on all my components and Is it a good one? If so I’ll prob order this one since I like the clean way for cable management. https://www.megekko.nl/product/4186/1061990/PC-Voedingen-PSU-/Corsair-RM750-PSU-PC-voeding

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What’s the best way to calculate bottleneck manually?

You determine the following facts about your monitor:
  • What is its resolution?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What is its refresh rate (or FreeSync range and if it has Low Framerate Compensation, if equipped with FreeSync)

You cannot make a good decision about, and should not be buying, a video card without having this information about your monitor.

When you have those answers, then you pick a video card that is known through reviews and testing to be able to achieve the framerates you want at the resolution of your monitor.

I think 1080 Tbh, my monitor is kind of “old” so I’m not sure tbh. I don’t think Im on 1440

You really need to know the details of your monitor before picking a video card. The concept of a "good match" between a specific CPU and GPU pairing, without other information, is nonsense. And, as stated before by others: bottleneck calculator sites are garbage. I wouldn't say they're useless... I would say they're far worse than useless.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

TRENDING THREADS