24 fps, 29 fps, argh

Maybe someone can offer advice in this. I've been encoding to MPEG with
TMPG and generally have few problems, but consistently get jerky results
when I try to convert a 23.976 fps source (to SVCD, DVD, it doesn't seem to
matter). I don't have this problem when converting 29 fps files. I have
tried setting the encode method to 3:2 pulldown but it is still uneven, with
small skips in action sequences and broad pans. Any suggestions?
TT

Trever Talbert wrote:

> Maybe someone can offer advice in this. I've been encoding to MPEG with
> TMPG and generally have few problems, but consistently get jerky results
> when I try to convert a 23.976 fps source (to SVCD, DVD, it doesn't seem to
> matter). I don't have this problem when converting 29 fps files. I have
> tried setting the encode method to 3:2 pulldown but it is still uneven, with
> small skips in action sequences and broad pans. Any suggestions?

Stop doing that.

Gary Eickmeier

> Maybe someone can offer advice in this. I've been encoding to MPEG with
> TMPG and generally have few problems, but consistently get jerky results
> when I try to convert a 23.976 fps source (to SVCD, DVD, it doesn't seem
> matter). I don't have this problem when converting 29 fps files. I have
> tried setting the encode method to 3:2 pulldown but it is still uneven,
with
> small skips in action sequences and broad pans. Any suggestions?
> TT

When encoding 23.976fps, use the NTSC Film templates, they will take care of
everything, and make sure 3:2 pulldown isn't enabled under the Advanced tab.

"When encoding 23.976fps, use the NTSC Film templates, they will take care
of
everything, and make sure 3:2 pulldown isn't enabled under the Advanced
tab."

I see a SVCD NTSC-film template, but there isn't one specified for DVD.
Both of the DVD NTSC templates say 29fps. Also, I thought 3:2 pulldown was
the whole idea.. that it was meant to handle the change in fps?
Thanks for the help!
TT

"Trever Talbert" <talbert@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
> "When encoding 23.976fps, use the NTSC Film templates, they will take care
> of
> everything, and make sure 3:2 pulldown isn't enabled under the Advanced
> tab."
>
> I see a SVCD NTSC-film template, but there isn't one specified for DVD.
> Both of the DVD NTSC templates say 29fps. Also, I thought 3:2 pulldown
was
> the whole idea.. that it was meant to handle the change in fps?
> Thanks for the help!
> TT

The 3:2 pulldown should be enabled under the main video tab, not the
advanced tab. It's a very common mistake, and it causes it to actually
"render" the 3:2 pulldown pattern into a 29.97fps stream, and when you
encode that to 23.976 it all goes horribly wrong. If you don't have an NTSC
DVD FILM template, load the regualar (29.97fps) one and change the
following...

- Change Encode Mode to "3:2 pulldown enabled when playback"
- Change Frame Rate to "23.976 fps (internally 29.97 fps)"

You have to change them in that order, or the correct frame rate won't be
available. If the options are greyed out, right-click them and select
Unlock.

You can then set the Rate Control Mode to whatever you want, and most people
set DC Componen Precision to 10, and you want to set Motion Search Precision
to the best possible quality, of course. Let me know if you have any
questions or problems.

Adam H wrote:

> "Trever Talbert" <talbert@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
>
>>"When encoding 23.976fps, use the NTSC Film templates, they will take care
>>of
>>everything, and make sure 3:2 pulldown isn't enabled under the Advanced
>>tab."
>>
>>I see a SVCD NTSC-film template, but there isn't one specified for DVD.
>>Both of the DVD NTSC templates say 29fps. Also, I thought 3:2 pulldown
>
> was
>
>>the whole idea.. that it was meant to handle the change in fps?
>>Thanks for the help!
>>TT
>

> The 3:2 pulldown should be enabled under the main video tab, not the
> advanced tab. It's a very common mistake, and it causes it to actually
> "render" the 3:2 pulldown pattern into a 29.97fps stream, and when you
> encode that to 23.976 it all goes horribly wrong. If you don't have an NTSC
> DVD FILM template, load the regualar (29.97fps) one and change the
> following...
>
> - Change Encode Mode to "3:2 pulldown enabled when playback"
> - Change Frame Rate to "23.976 fps (internally 29.97 fps)"
>
> You have to change them in that order, or the correct frame rate won't be
> available. If the options are greyed out, right-click them and select
> Unlock.
>
> You can then set the Rate Control Mode to whatever you want, and most people
> set DC Componen Precision to 10, and you want to set Motion Search Precision
> to the best possible quality, of course. Let me know if you have any
> questions or problems.

So what was the reason for shooting at 24fps again?

Gary Eickmeier

Cheaper to transfer to film from what I've been able to figure out

--

Dave Jones
Independent Video Productions

> So what was the reason for shooting at 24fps again?
>
> Gary Eickmeier

> So what was the reason for shooting at 24fps again?

Everything (almost) that is shot/produced on film, including movies, TV
shows, cartoons, etc, is 24 frames progessive. Since NTSC broadcasts are 30
fps, the 24 fps source goes through a process called Telecine where fields
are duplicated to make it appear to run at 30 fps. It's a lot less hassle
for PAL, where they just speed up the source to 25 fps. The drawback of 24
fps is that it looks less smooth than 30fps (60hz interlaced). Then again,
most people have gotten used to the "filmic" look of 24 fps, and it also
offers better image quality since it's progressive, compared to 60hz
interlaced, which is essentially two fields of 240 vertical lines, but
that's less of an issue on an interlaced display, such as a television set.

"You can then set the Rate Control Mode to whatever you want, and most
people
set DC Componen Precision to 10, and you want to set Motion Search Precision
to the best possible quality, of course. Let me know if you have any
questions or problems."

Worked like a charm this time, with no choppiness at all - that one setting
difference did the trick. I'd been setting 3:2 in the Advanced settings tab
instead. Thanks very much for your help and patience!
Trever Talbert

> Worked like a charm this time, with no choppiness at all - that one
setting
> difference did the trick. I'd been setting 3:2 in the Advanced settings
tab
> instead. Thanks very much for your help and patience!
> Trever Talbert

Glad I could help.