Jun 23, 2019
So I am completely stumped and I am hoping the Tom's Hardware community can help me figure this out. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the temps on my CPU were really high. It would push 80 C sometimes and idle at 55-60. This is a new problem that suddenly appeared. It had always been idling around 40 up to 65ish under load, prior to the 2 weeks ago. I ran through all the software changes I could think of (I'm a gamer) but nothing really helped. Frame rates would drop to intolerable limits no matter what I tried. All drivers/software are updated except Windows (Due to their recent shenanigans, I'm trying to avoid it since before this overheating issue, I haven't had any problems).

I dug into my computer and reseated the cpu cooler using some arctic silver I still had. That worked... for about a week. Now I'm back to the same issue. As I've been typing this and nothing else is happening my peak speed has stayed at around 4 GHz with the temp. never falling below 63 but peaking up to 75 and dropping quickly. I am using Ryzen Master for all my hardware monitoring needs.

To list the steps I've taken:
Reduced graphics to minimum (in games)
Ensured windows game recording/streaming is perma. off ( I don't use any streaming or capture software, I play for the fun of it)
Changed between creator mode and game mode in ryzen master.
Created a user profile in ryzen master to only use manual overclocking and leaving them at stock value.

I've never posted anything before, I've usually found answers by just searching but nothing useful has come up. I'm really hoping someone out there has seen this and can help me, or is at least willing to help me troubleshoot this, I'm so frustrated now that the issue has reappeared.

Please and thank you!

Below is my setup:

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
So I am completely stumped and I am hoping the Tom's Hardware community can help me figure this out. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the temps on my CPU were really high. It would push 80 C sometimes and idle at 55-60. This is a new problem that suddenly appeared. It had always been idling around 40 up to 65ish under load, prior to the 2 weeks ago. I ran through all the software changes I could think of (I'm a gamer) but nothing really helped. Frame rates would drop to intolerable limits no matter what I tried. All drivers/software are updated except Windows (Due to their recent shenanigans, I'm trying to avoid it since before this overheating issue, I haven't had any problems).

I dug into my computer and reseated the cpu cooler using some arctic silver I still had. That worked... for about a week. Now I'm back to the same issue. As I've been typing this and nothing else is happening my peak speed has stayed at around 4 GHz with the temp. never falling below 63 but peaking up to 75 and dropping quickly. I am using Ryzen Master for all my hardware monitoring needs.

Ensured windows game recording/streaming is perma. off ( I don't use any streaming or capture software, I play for the fun of it)
Created a user profile in ryzen master to only use manual overclocking and leaving them at stock value.

I've never posted anything before, I've usually found answers by just searching but nothing useful has come up. I'm really hoping someone out there has seen this and can help me, or is at least willing to help me troubleshoot this, I'm so frustrated now that the issue has reappeared.

Please and thank you!

Below is my setup:
Can you tell me what is your specs?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Please and thank you!

Below is my setup:
To better assist, we need to know the complete specs for this rig (make/model of all components). Also, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Jun 23, 2019
To better assist, we need to know the complete specs for this rig (make/model of all components). Also, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?
Can you tell me what is your specs?
So I guess the signature doesn't really show up for others to see, so here are my specs.

ASRock Tachi X399
AMD Threadripper 2950x
Enermax 360 AIO
G-Force GTX 1070 Ti
Windows 10 V 1803
G.Skill 3200MHz 64 GB Quad-Channel

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
So I guess the signature doesn't really show up for others to see, so here are my specs.

ASRock Tachi X399
AMD Threadripper 2950x
Enermax 360 AIO
G-Force GTX 1070 Ti
Windows 10 V 1803
G.Skill 3200MHz 64 GB Quad-Channel
Install the latest bios from your motehrboard site and open the bios and check cpu core voltage.

DSzymborski

Titan
Don't use auto OC settings when trying to deal with a situation for this. The next thing to do is to have everything at stock speeds and check out what your baseline cooling is like. I'd argue against using auto OC settings at all, but definitely not right now.

Jun 23, 2019
Don't use auto OC settings when trying to deal with a situation for this. The next thing to do is to have everything at stock speeds and check out what your baseline cooling is like. I'd argue against using auto OC settings at all, but definitely not right now.
Yeah I was replying with how my setup was when this started happening. I also posted(originally) that I set the OC to manual and set everything to stock and there was no appreciable difference. I even reduced the speed to below clock speeds and that had some affect, but it still idled at around 62.

Jun 23, 2019
Sudden temperature increase + using liquid cooling = probably an issue with the pump, coolant or obstruction in the cooling loop.
Hmmm... I can feel the temp. difference between the outgoing and return pipes and the rumble of the flowing coolant. How would replacing the thermal grease affect the issue you describe?

InvalidError

Titan
Hmmm... I can feel the temp. difference between the outgoing and return pipes and the rumble of the flowing coolant.
If the pump has a flow rate of ~0.5GPM (among the lowest) and your CPU is putting out 100W, then the coolant leaving the CPU block would be less than 1C warmer than what is coming back from the radiator and you should have a hard time telling that one pipe is warmer than the other. If you can feel a significant temperature difference between the two pipes, then I'd suspect the flow isn't as high as it is supposed to be for some reason.

Jun 23, 2019
If the pump has a flow rate of ~0.5GPM (among the lowest) and your CPU is putting out 100W, then the coolant leaving the CPU block would be less than 1C warmer than what is coming back from the radiator and you should have a hard time telling that one pipe is warmer than the other. If you can feel a significant temperature difference between the two pipes, then I'd suspect the flow isn't as high as it is supposed to be for some reason.
I think you might be right. I just sat in BIOS and turned the fans and pump their highest settings and the temp. didn't decrease from the 94 reported by the mobo, which is the die temp plus the 27 offset. I won't be able to fully test by replacing the unit until I get a replacement.

What are your thoughts about the fact that the Ryzen CPUs have a suite of temperature/OC control that would try to reduce the temperature by reducing the clockspeed, but it still hung out at 4 GHz even when idle?

InvalidError

Titan
What are your thoughts about the fact that the Ryzen CPUs have a suite of temperature/OC control that would try to reduce the temperature by reducing the clockspeed, but it still hung out at 4 GHz even when idle?
Not sure what that question is supposed to mean. My i5-3470 idles at 1.6GHz, idling at all-cores-turbo speed sounds like an unnecessary waste of power to me.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Do you have the energy/power saving stuff on in BIOS? I suspect you don't. You should turn it on.
If you are OCing, there is one thing you should turn off but I can't remember the name right now. "Cool and quiet" maybe.
The temp difference in most countries from winter to summer is 30-50C. Thats going to have an effect on PC temps.
Might have to dial back the OC/Voltage.