xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
I have a Seasonic Focus 750 Gold (http://www2.seasonic.com/product/focus-plus-750-gold/ ) and a i5-8600k with the Asrock edit z390 Extreme 4 Motherboard.

I have bought the motherboard and cpu just recently, and when building it I saw that I have a 8pin and a 4pin for the CPU, now I have plugged in the 4pin which seems to work fine, since I only had 2x 4pin plugged onto my PSU.
My question is, can I plug in this 2x 4-pin into my 8pin connector? Am I missing out on potential power? Should I get a 8pin eps cable?

Last edited:

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
I have ONLY a 4 pin plugged in now, so I should do the 2x4 pin I have in the 8pin and disconnect the 8pin? I can do them both aswell (so 8pin and the 4pin) since I have the cables for it

I have ONLY a 4 pin plugged in now, so I should do the 2x4 pin I have in the 8pin and disconnect the 8pin? I can do them both aswell (so 8pin and the 4pin) since I have the cables for it

Well i didn't understand fully.... if you have the 8 pin plugged in already, then you're good to go. The additional 4 pin is not necessary... so you can unplug it if you want to.

One single 8 pin eps is enough for overclocking purposes, so that's the only cable you'll need for your CPU.

Reactions: xaohs
if all you have is a 4 pin then use 1 4 pin.
just dont try to run an 8 core, with sli'd 2070's.
the 4 pin will add an additional 150w for the cpu/motherboard to use and saying as its only a 95w cpu, your good.
even with an overclock it wont reach the limit of the socket and the supplementary atx power.

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
if all you have is a 4 pin then use 1 4 pin.
just dont try to run an 8 core, with sli'd 2070's.
the 4 pin will add an additional 150w for the cpu/motherboard to use and saying as its only a 95w cpu, your good.
even with an overclock it wont reach the limit of the socket and the supplementary atx power.
Shouldn't I just disconnect the 4pin and connect the 2x4 pin anyway since it's not much work?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That unit comes with 2x 4+4pin EPS cables as do most of the better units in this range and up because it's designed for OC and primarily of use for cpus like the 9900k which require large amounts of 12v DC that cannot be fed from the main 20+4 pin connector.

Look on your motherboard at the EPS header. If it's an 8pin header, then fill it with 1x 4+4. If there's 2x then fill that also. Use as many as you have. Better to fully fill the EPS and not use all of it than starve it.

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
That unit comes with 2x 4+4pin EPS cables as do most of the better units in this range and up because it's designed for OC and primarily of use for cpus like the 9900k which require large amounts of 12v DC that cannot be fed from the main 20+4 pin connector.

Look on your motherboard at the EPS header. If it's an 8pin header, then fill it with 1x 4+4. If there's 2x then fill that also. Use as many as you have. Better to fully fill the EPS and not use all of it than starve it.
What do you mean "if there's 2x then fill that also"

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There are some motherboards that have 2x 8pin EPS or 8pin + 6pin or 8pin + 4pin. There's 2x headers up there. Quite often this isn't done primarily for the cpu, those boards also use that 12v EPS as supplemental power for onboard rgb. So not being fully conversant with the board, better safe than sorry. It won't hurt in the slightest to have any power input headers filled from psu. If the mobo only uses a little power, at least it's there to be had.

My motherboard has a 6pin supplement pcie, just for the gpu in slot 1 x16. So this is populated with an extra pcie cable directly from the psu. This is for older gpus that still use a lot of the 75w from the motherboard. Now it's got extra power from psu, so doesn't draw from the 12v supplied by the 20+4 pin.

Any place you can supplement power is a good thing, especially 12v DC, since it'll take up less power from the mains, so there's more power available for other uses, and less current run through the mobo as a whole.

My other system has an 8pin header on the mobo, but the psu is small so only has a 4pin EPS, so that's all that's used. If it had a 4+4, I'd use both. If the psu had 4+4 EPS but the mobo had a 4pin, I'd just use the 1x 4pin. But I'd give the mobo everything I could from the psu.

Last edited:

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
There are some motherboards that have 2x 8pin EPS or 8pin + 6pin or 8pin + 4pin. There's 2x headers up there. Quite often this isn't done primarily for the cpu, those boards also use that 12v EPS as supplemental power for onboard rgb. So not being fully conversant with the board, better safe than sorry. It won't hurt in the slightest to have any power input headers filled from psu. If the mobo only uses a little power, at least it's there to be had.

My motherboard has a 6pin supplement pcie, just for the gpu in slot 1 x16. So this is populated with an extra pcie cable directly from the psu. This is for older gpus that still use a lot of the 75w from the motherboard. Now it's got extra power from psu, so doesn't draw from the 12v supplied by the 20+4 pin.

Any place you can supplement power is a good thing, especially 12v DC, since it'll take up less power from the mains, so there's more power available for other uses, and less current run through the mobo as a whole.

My other system has an 8pin header on the mobo, but the psu is small so only has a 4pin EPS, so that's all that's used. If it had a 4+4, I'd use both. If the psu had 4+4 EPS but the mobo had a 4pin, I'd just use the 1x 4pin. But I'd give the mobo everything I could from the psu.
So basically, use the 4+4 pin for the 8pin and then other 4pin cable I have lying around to the 4pin ? So do both and not only the 4+4 or the 4?

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017

So basically, use the 4+4 pin for the 8pin and then other 4pin cable I have lying around to the 4pin ?

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
So in that case, I use a 2x 4-pin EPS cable for the 8pin header
and I use another 2x 4-pin EPS cable that I have on the 4pin header but using 1 of the 2x 4-pin only

Is this correct? I'm kinda confused now

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017