[SOLVED] 3.5mm output jack doesn't work

Jan 10, 2021
Problem: When I plug in my headphones into the 3.5mm sound output jack in the front of the cabinet, nothing happens. Only the jack at the back of the cabinet works for sound output.
Can someone guide me as to how to connect the front jack to the onboard sound card?

Configuration:
Cabinet: Cooler Master K380
Motherboard: AsusTek Z97-k
Intel Core i5-4460 3.20GHz

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Take a closer look at the computer's audio configuration settings.

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

A pop-up menu should appear with 5 choices regarding audio.

Explore each option including all windows, tabs, and properties being careful not to change anything.

Verify that the audio configuration is as expected and, if not make note of what you find versus what you expected.

Jack Information should appear when you select Playback devices in the Sound Window and then choose Properties.

Speakers/Headphone Properties Window, Tab = General.

Again check the other tabs and available properties. Front jack could be working but just turned down via "Levels".

Consider that you may...

Ralston18

Titan

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

Explore each option including all windows, tabs, and properties being careful not to change anything.

Verify that the audio configuration is as expected and, if not make note of what you find versus what you expected.

Jack Information should appear when you select Playback devices in the Sound Window and then choose Properties.

Again check the other tabs and available properties. Front jack could be working but just turned down via "Levels".

Consider that you may need to open the case to check the front jack is correctly plugged in.

Reactions: hardtrbl
Solution
The last time i looked in sound properties a windows update had altered things , where you see the speak/headphone/mic icons you may not see the option you are looking for , their is a small "scroll" bar at the right.

Since the sound layout was altered my headset will not work in a game unless i plug them in BEFORE i launch the game ????

Reactions: hardtrbl
Jan 10, 2021

Consider that you may need to open the case to check the front jack is correctly plugged in.
Thank you!

I am convinced that the issue is with the physical connection. The cabinet jack is not connected with the sound board. The problem is I don't know how to do that.

Ralston18

Titan
The starting document is the motherboard's User Manual.

I found the following link. Do verify that the linked manual is a correct match to the computer's motherboard.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-K/E9648_Z97-K_Guide_V2_web_hi-res.pdf

Reference physically numbered Pages 1-3 and 1-4 and then within those two pages the connector diagrams for Connectors 15 and 16.

Page 1-17 (Paragraph 4) provides the specific pinouts necessary to connect the front panel audio to the motherboard.

You do need to be very careful and read all fine print and details. Look for additional confirmation about the required connection.

It is often very handy to expand any connector diagram to a nicely readable size and print out the diagram as a reference. Then trace the corresponding wires and connection within your computer.

I.e, Front Case Panel to Motherboard.

If you are really fortunate, you may discover that the audio connector is simple unplugged.

However, double check before simply plugging things in.

The other result being that you can identify a specific cable with corresponding connectors that can be purchased and plugged in.

Be certain. Details matter.

TRENDING THREADS