Question 3 different PC builds and still having same issue with no POST, boot and red CPU LED

Apr 18, 2019
[watch your language]
So I'm pretty much desperate as hell at this point and after you see how far I've gone maybe you'll agree.

To start I've been trying to upgrade my old PC build for awhile. This past August and December (of 2018) I finally got the $ and the parts needed. I started with a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard, Gigabyte Nvidia 1060 (1070?), AMD Ryzen 7 1700x, and 2 sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaw V 8gb RAM. I used my old PSU: a ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W (I know, a bit excessive). That build didn't work and the red CPU LED was on for the mobo.

I tried every single possible troubleshoot method I could think and spent hours on threads trying to figure it out. Cleared CMOS, tried every combination of RAM going so far as to buy a new set of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM (16gb set) to possibly solve for any compatibility issues, tried removing GPU and/or RAM, tried putting it back together repeatedly, tried cleaning everything out with compressed air, checked for bent pins, etc. I exhausted every option and chalked it up to a bad mobo or CPU. I had to wait to find a job with the extra income to pay for it since by the time I had gotten all the parts and finally had any time to build it I couldn't return anything and Gigabyte was the single most pain in the ass company to work with and get any customer support from. I ended up putting my old build in and it had some trouble but ended up booting just fine within the day I put it back in.

Fast forward to this week. I finally get a new mobo in. Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard. The big [watch your language]mobo baby. Removed old build, put in new build. Paused for effect. Pressed power button. Red CPU LED light is on and no POST. All the fans are spinning and everything is lit up but nothing else. Troubleshooted through it again with every step known to the [watch your language]internet. No luck. Spirit damaged but not broken. Figured hell maybe it's the CPU. Best Buy had 1 AMD Ryzen 2700x CPU left and made it just in time before they closed to get it. Get home and replace it to try again. Same thing. Red light, disappointment, rage...pure rage. Decided to return mobo for refund and get away from Gigabyte. Many forums I visited had mixed opinions and went back to my old trusted friend and bought an MSI X470 Gaming Plus mobo. While I waited for this to come in put my old build in again to just make sure I wasn't crazy. Old bastard still worked like a charm. New mobo comes in today and what do you know it's the same goddamn problem again. Tried using the other Ryzen 1700x just to see. Again tried everything I could think of. Nothing worked no change at all.

Folks there's a limit to everyone's patience and I've reached mine. Turning to y'all for any help or anywhere you can direct me to possibly help. Sorry for the long post and and any grammatical errors while I'm using mobile. I thank you in advance for your time and patience. I will edit as I get help and figure out the great mystery of what the actual [watch your language]is happening. If you need any more info just let me know in comments.

TL;DR: tried 3 different PC builds and had same problem everytime with red CPU LED on and PC won't POST or boot. Tried all the usual troubleshooting and old PC build still works. Help.

Last edited by a moderator: