32 or 16 for virtual machines and things like that?

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
So I am building another computer for college and I will be going for a major in computer science. When I visited colleges they talked about doing things with virtual machines and linux and stuff like that. I was wondering if spending the extra money on 32 gb would be a good idea. Also I am trying to go for a more stylish look on this build as in really caring about what it looks like over all lol. I am going for a white build so if you could also recommend some ram ddr4. I kinda wanna get 4 sticks because it looks better, but if there is a performance difference please let me know! This is the list I have so far for my mid tower list, I also have a micro atx as I haven't decided if I really need to make a really small build or if a mid tower will work well. My budget is also $1k but going over isn't a huge problem.

Mid tower build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hJByLD
mATX build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/633svV

Always try to pick the newer platform if you are building a new PC.
In this case, the i7 7700k gets my vote.

You do not need 32GB for virtual machines but this depends on what you are doing. My siggestion, go for 16GB now and add the other 16GB later, if it is really necessary.

I would suggest getting a decent GPU along with that, so that you can also game properly with that already quite powerful rig.
Let say, RX480 or GTX1060...or even GTX1070?

BTW,
If you have issues with your budget, I did not need an i7 class performance back then in the university. I5 performance class was already sufficient.
To be honest, I just talk a bit rubbish here, P3 800 was new and already very expensive during my university time LoL. Pentium 4 was not out yet.

To be honest, I just talk a bit rubbish here, P3 800 was new and already very expensive during my university time LoL. Pentium 4 was not out yet.

P4 was out when I was in college, but I didn't have one. I took a PIII/667. I miss that computer - one of my best Intel builds.

Core 2 Duo came out a year later, and I had one in a laptop.

Yeah, I think i5 and 16 GB would be fine if you're just tinkering around with VMs and not really doing any heavy lifting inside the VM clients. If you ARE doing heavy lifting in multiple VMs at the same time, then you probably want even more than even a 4-core i7.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
I already have an i7 6700k in my computer and It's fine for me. I see no need to get a 7700k because Im not really gonna set out to try and hit 5ghz on an OC. I just like having an i7 because it can be within my budget since I probably won't need to buy another graphics card. But also everyone I talked to in the computer science departments had i7's. But dudeman, one problem that could come up with trying to add extra memory later is the memory sticks I get now could be different from the ones I get later which can lead to compatibility issues. That's just what I have read and seen on youtube and stuff. And I always forget to mention things xD I don't need another gpu because I recently upgraded my current rig from an r9 390 to a 1070. I will probably end up putting my 1070 in my new rig once I go to college then just putting my 390 back in my old one.

But dudeman, one problem that could come up with trying to add extra memory later is the memory sticks I get now could be different from the ones I get later which can lead to compatibility issues.
Shrug. It's mentioned, but I haven't had it happen. I've added memory to all of my laptops without compatibility issue, as well as my desktop (2 different sets of 2x4 sticks).

I can say that we have servers with 20+ simultaneous virtual users that rarely even come close to the 32GB RAM capacity, although our replacement machines will have 64 or 128.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I agree, I've never had compatibility issues before when adding more RAM. So long as the voltage, speed, and timings are the same, you really shouldn't have a problem. And since DDR4 just kicked off, it's going to be easy for a long, long time to get compatible RAM.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015

Then I guess i'll just get 16 for now. Thanks for the help!