Question 32gb 2×16gb ddr4 ram - 2 count (pack of 1) vs 2×16gb kit ?

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
I'm planning on buying a Corsair Vengeance LPX 2×16gb ddr4 3200mhz 16cl ram off Amazon ..however I have two options and and the kit is limited to 3600mhz and costs much more - if I buy the 2 count pack (3200mhz) and not the kit , would I lose something like XMP clocks?

Depends entirely on the platform, CPU memory controller and whether or not you get the same memory IC across the kits. Generally speaking it's better to get a kit of 2 modules because they're more stable at higher clocks. Getting two kits of two modules carries the issue of potentially less performance, but if you're not manually tuning and they turn out to be different memory IC that can cause stability or functionality issues.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
Depends entirely on the platform, CPU memory controller and whether or not you get the same memory IC across the kits. Generally speaking it's better to get a kit of 2 modules because they're more stable at higher clocks. Getting two kits of two modules carries the issue of potentially less performance, but if you're not manually tuning and they turn out to be different memory IC that can cause stability or functionality issues.
So if I got with the first option I would probably not achieve 3200mhz combined?

I'm planning on buying a Corsair Vengeance LPX 2×16gb ddr4 3200mhz 16cl ram off Amazon ..however I have two options and and the kit is limited to 3600mhz and costs much more - if I buy the 2 count pack (3200mhz) and not the kit , would I lose something like XMP clocks?
Well, first you are comparing RAM with different performance, so yeah price will be different,
What is rest of your system, CPU and MB? Some may not even work at 3600MHz.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
CPU can run 3600MHz (with OC) but BIOS, being proprietary to DELL may not allow it. Which RAM it has now?
Also find out exact model and look at Dell's site for upgrades. Otherwise everybody is just guessing,
Well xmp is turned on as my current ram - 2×8gb ddr4 runs at full speed of 2666mhz... previous pc couldn't . I will find the model of the mb once I return home . Also you meant OC of the ram or cpu as i 7 11700 can't be overclocked

Reactions: CountMike
You have to dig around the fine print to see what memory runs. What you are most interested in is what is called a QVL. This is a list of exact memory sticks..the brands and their timings matter...that they tested. This does not mean other stick will not work they just have not been tested. Many motherboard manufactures do not update these lists so newer stuff tends to not be on the list. Sometimes they are on lists the memory maker has if the motherboard is more popular.

I am not so sure I would worry a lot about the speed of the memory. Going from 16g to 32g is going to give you a large boost in performance. The speed of the memory is very hard to see in real applications. I know it does make more difference if do not have a dedicated video card and are using the one on the CPU. It is then using some of the memory for video buffers.

If that is from the motherboard maker they may have a different limit than the cpu itself. I think the 11900 is rated by intel to run 3200 and many people run it at 3600. It is complex because it is a combination of the motherboard/cpu/and the memory stick themselves.

Even if you get everything on official lists anything that requires XMP to be turned on means you are overclocking the ram. Some times you get unlucky and it still does not run above the base speed.

I have not looked lately but because 3600 is the most popular speed you many times can find it for the same price as slower units. All memory should run at the base speed without xmp. I would buy a kit to improve your chances.

To a point it depends on how much you can manually set all the different memory settings in the bios. Even on most memory there are a couple XMP combinations you can choose from.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
If that is from the motherboard maker they may have a different limit than the cpu itself. I think the 11900 is rated by intel to run 3200 and many people run it at 3600. It is complex because it is a combination of the motherboard/cpu/and the memory stick themselves.

Even if you get everything on official lists anything that requires XMP to be turned on means you are overclocking the ram. Some times you get unlucky and it still does not run above the base speed.

I have not looked lately but because 3600 is the most popular speed you many times can find it for the same price as slower units. All memory should run at the base speed without xmp. I would buy a kit to improve your chances.

To a point it depends on how much you can manually set all the different memory settings in the bios. Even on most memory there are a couple XMP combinations you can choose from.
So ....should I not risk it and buy 2933mhz instead of 3200mhz ?

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
Is the 2933 rated memory actually cheaper than 3200. What is strange is better memory can be cheaper because the manufacture make more of the more popular models.
The thing is - 2933mhz ram is very rare nowadays ...I have yet to find online 2×16gb kit ddr4 2933mhz cl16 from a well known company . I seriously don't understand why the dell xps 8940 doesn't support higher speeds