[SOLVED] 3700x Temperature Spikes

sidekick99

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
So when gaming my cpu temperature would average around 60° but occasionally ramps up to 70° and quickly goes back to 60°.
I included a quick graph with my cpu temperature while playing watch dogs legion.
Are these spikes anything to worry about? or is this normal? I don't know a lot about cpu's therefore my question.

View: https://imgur.com/a/O1zVx34

PC specs:
cpu: AMD ryzen 7 3700X
gpu: 3070
ram: 2x16gb

Solution
Sounds normal

I got a 3900x that does the same thing where it'll jump 10 to 20c then quickly goes back down. It does this during idle as well. It'll sit at ~40c then suddenly decide to bolt to ~50c, sometimes even 60c

But under load it never seems to go past about 70c. Ryzen can be weird like that

As long as the highest temperature its reaching is safe then its fine. In your case 70c is nothing to worry about. I'd only start being concerned if it starts hitting into the high 80's, but if that happens its just a case of needing a better cooler or the current cooler your using may have an issue of some sort.

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
I have a r7 3700x too and it does the same thing (I'm using the stock cooler). It just likes to run hot and spike, there's not much you can do about it. Unfortunately yes it is normal but it shouldn't affect performance because I'm pretty sure it only starts to throttle when it gets to 85 degrees. Just look up "ryzen temperature spikes" and you'll see that alot of people have the same issue.

Furzumz

Reputable
Sounds normal

I got a 3900x that does the same thing where it'll jump 10 to 20c then quickly goes back down. It does this during idle as well. It'll sit at ~40c then suddenly decide to bolt to ~50c, sometimes even 60c

But under load it never seems to go past about 70c. Ryzen can be weird like that

As long as the highest temperature its reaching is safe then its fine. In your case 70c is nothing to worry about. I'd only start being concerned if it starts hitting into the high 80's, but if that happens its just a case of needing a better cooler or the current cooler your using may have an issue of some sort.

Reactions: sidekick99
Solution