Question 4 pin jacket headset microphone doesn't work with adapter, but does work without it ?

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
Hi, I have a headset that I had to fix the middle of the jack cable, the problem is that using the 4 pins all work fine (mic and audio), but if I use the USB adapter of 4pin that my headset bring (that before the fix all worked,), the microphone is not working but other headset with microphone work fine in the adapter ?

Last edited:

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve).

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

USB:

https://www.quora.com/Audio-Equipment-What-would-a-USB-male-to-3-5mm-male-adapter-cable-be-used-for

My thought is that there is some mismatch between jacks, plugs, adapters.

Take a look at the pinouts.
is a trrs but It shouldn't be a mismatch between jacks, plugs, and adapters because is the same jack (I didn't change it, just fixed it in middle) cable and same adapter that worked before , also the adapter work with others headset with mic and work fine, and the headset work without adapter and work fine.
i joined color with a color in the cables

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
So the cable was somehow damaged in the middle so you removed the damaged section and spliced the individual wires by color.

Is my understanding correct?

How did you make the splices: solder, heat shrink tubing, even electrical tape?

How did you insulate the splices from each other?

What happened that required you to fix the cable? Could be that there is another not so obvious problem within the cable and plugs.

Or one of the splices (if there is indeed splicing) is not making full connection or perhaps shorting with one of the other splices.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

If so, then you can do voltage and continuity tests on the plugs and cable.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
"So the cable was somehow damaged in the middle so you removed the damaged section and spliced the individual wires by color? "
yes, was a little broken so I removed the damage section and spliced the individual wires by color.

"How did you make the splices: solder, heat shrink tubing, even electrical tape?"
solder each cable, then using hot melt glue for each cable, and then insulating tape

"How did you insulate the splices from each other?"
only with the glue

"What happened that required you to fix the cable? Could be that there is another not so obvious problem within the cable and plugs"
if I moved the wire on that section, sometimes the left side didn't work.

"Or one of the splices (if there is indeed splicing) is not making full connection or perhaps shorting with one of the other splices"
the strange part is working without the adapter, but the adapter works fine.

"Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does? "
yes, but I am not sure what and how should i measure in headset.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not be surprised if there is some issue occurring between cable plug and adapter.

Individually they both work fine but when connected some internal bit get pushed, pulled, twisted and thus causing a short or disconnect.

Start with individual continuity tests on the cable in question and the adapter.

Then plug the cable into the adapter and again check continuity.

It will prove helpful if you sketch out the pins beforehand just so you can methodically test and keep easy track of the results.

Gently wiggle and twist while testing.

Do you have any photographs or diagrams?

If so and if possible post them here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
I would not be surprised if there is some issue occurring between cable plug and adapter.

Individually they both work fine but when connected some internal bit get pushed, pulled, twisted and thus causing a short or disconnect.

Start with individual continuity tests on the cable in question and the adapter.

Then plug the cable into the adapter and again check continuity.

It will prove helpful if you sketch out the pins beforehand just so you can methodically test and keep easy track of the results.

Gently wiggle and twist while testing.

Do you have any photographs or diagrams?

If so and if possible post them here via imgur (www.imgur.com).
is hyperx cloud revolver s https://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/hx_revolver_s_manual.pdf
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSoiQWq9my4
video with cables color
i found a replace adapter that is the same, (new never used) and the error persists so it should be something in the headset,
how can i check continuity in this headset ?

Ralston18

Titan
You will probably need to take the headset apart.

I do not recommend that. Would likely void any remaining warranty. Or cause the headset to completely stop working.

What you can do is plug the headset into a known working audio device. Have continuous music or something playing.

While listening gently wiggle, twist, pull on the cable all along its' length and especially around the splicing and the plug.

Any interruptions to music will indicate a wiring problem.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
You will probably need to take the headset apart.

I do not recommend that. Would likely void any remaining warranty. Or cause the headset to completely stop working.

What you can do is plug the headset into a known working audio device. Have continuous music or something playing.

While listening gently wiggle, twist, pull on the cable all along its' length and especially around the splicing and the plug.

Any interruptions to music will indicate a wiring problem.
no, all work fine, tested headset again in my phone (used discord to test audio continuously and mic at the same time). also i don't a have warranty anymore, and i am not doing the video tutorial, it was just for see the color of cables

Ralston18

Titan
About all I am left with is that the USB plug is being distorted in some manner by the adapter(s).

Try putting a USB extension cable in between headset and adapter..

Test the headset and USB extension cable combination first to ensure that the combination works.

Then try the headset, extension cable, plus the adapter(s) to determine if that makes a difference.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
About all I am left with is that the USB plug is being distorted in some manner by the adapter(s).

Try putting a USB extension cable in between headset and adapter..

Test the headset and USB extension cable combination first to ensure that the combination works.

Then try the headset, extension cable, plus the adapter(s) to determine if that makes a difference.
I don't have a USB extension cable, also how can i test the headset and USB extension cable if the headset have jack cable ? i tried adapter in different usb port and computers and same error

Ralston18

Titan
Verify:

Make and model headset.

Make and model adapter?

Any product website links?

= = = =

The important thing is to methodically change only one thing at a time.

If the headset works everywhere on its own and if the adapter works everywhere it is used (without the headset) then the problem must be the headset/adapter connection.

So

Headset -----cable -----=== splice ==== -------cable ------> TRRS(?) plug (1/8 inch, 3.5mm) into [TRRS port] ADAPTER [????] to ____?

Feel free to edit and correct the above line diagram.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
Verify:

Make and model headset.

Make and model adapter?

Any product website links?

= = = =

The important thing is to methodically change only one thing at a time.

If the headset works everywhere on its own and if the adapter works everywhere it is used (without the headset) then the problem must be the headset/adapter connection.

So

Headset -----cable -----=== splice ==== -------cable ------> TRRS(?) plug (1/8 inch, 3.5mm) into [TRRS port] ADAPTER [????] to ____?

Feel free to edit and correct the above line diagram.
same model and make (and all worked before fixed the jack)
manual of my headset https://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/hx_revolver_s_manual.pdf
the problem is headset/adapter connection
Headset -----cable -----=== splice ==== -------cable ------> TRRS plug (1/8 inch, 3.5mm) into [TRRS port] ADAPTER (with control volume and mic) ------ to USB ------> into PC USB port

Ralston18

Titan
So the adapter is actually the Control box that came with the headsets?

And you connect it as shown on Page 7 of 19 in the Hx_Revolver Manual?

"Usage with USB Audio Control Box (PC/Mac)
To use the headset to your computer, connect the headset’s 3.5mm plug to the female 3.5mm
jack on the USB Audio Control Box, then plug the USB cable into your computer. "

Was the Control Box connected when whatever happened to damage the headset cable occurred?

However, you mentioned in Post #5 that the adapter/Control Box works fine? How was that determined?

Do other USB devices of any sort work in the pc's USB port where the Control Box was plugged in?

Do the headsets with and without the Control Box work on any other computers?

Starting to think "Gremlins". :)

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020

To use the headset to your computer, connect the headset’s 3.5mm plug to the female 3.5mm
jack on the USB Audio Control Box, then plug the USB cable into your computer. "

Was the Control Box connected when whatever happened to damage the headset cable occurred?

However, you mentioned in Post #5 that the adapter/Control Box works fine? How was that determined?

Do other USB devices of any sort work in the pc's USB port where the Control Box was plugged in?

yes

yes

not really sure but probably yes

testing with other headsets with microphone (all works), and testing with an identical control box replacement and i have the same error only with the headset

yes (also tried others USB ports same), and other headsets with mic work in the control box too

no with the control box, tried control box in other computer, same error, without control box all works fine

me too hahah so strange, and not rlly sure what could be

Last edited:
Hi, I have a headset that I had to fix the middle of the jack cable, the problem is that using the 4 pins all work fine (mic and audio), but if I use the USB adapter of 4pin that my headset bring (that before the fix all worked,), the microphone is not working but other headset with microphone work fine in the adapter ?

If it worked before you did the fix, there was an issue with how the fix was done. Something is not making proper contact even if it works with the phone as you tested. There is simply no other explanation. Now what exactly you need to do in order to fix it, I would start with re-wiring the fix again.

Pachi_Mc

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
If it worked before you did the fix, there was an issue with how the fix was done. Something is not making proper contact even if it works with the phone as you tested. There is simply no other explanation. Now what exactly you need to do in order to fix it, I would start with re-wiring the fix again.
exactly my thought, but i already re-wired and the same error, it should be the ground cable or positive mic cable right?