[SOLVED] 4-pin PWM headers for fans without one

fccatuncan

Commendable
Aug 23, 2018
Take a look at the fan below.

Delta Sensflow EFC1212D 120mm x 120mm x 25mm Tri-Blade Server Fan DC 12V 0.75A 4-Wire 0.75A

delta-sensflow-efc1212d-120mm-x-120mm-x-25mm-tri-blade-server-fan-dc-12v-075a-4-wire-075a-5064-30636449-70ca3d69890962109f272d001c9b8a87-catalog.jpg_340x340q80.jpg_.webp

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually tried giving fans like these a 4-pin fan header. They're considerably cheaper than most case fans out here (SE Asia) and I understand that these things will squeal like pigs when directly connected to the PSU which is why I'm asking if giving them PWM headers will provide a way to control their speeds either via the motherboard (CHA_FAN headers) or a fan hub (say a DeepCool FH-10).

Solution
I could find no details on what the four wires from that fan are for. ONE web link to a seller I found said specifically it does NOT support PWM use. A user comment on one seller's page said he had not tried to connect for PWM use, but only connected +12 VDC and Ground leads from the PSU to get full speed operation.

If it does NOT operate as a computer case PWM fan, BUT you can identify the +12 VDC and Ground input wires, then you can always connect it as a 3-pin fan. The speed of such a fan can be controlled by a mobo header (whether with 3 pin or 4) that uses the older voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). That assumes that the fan design is the same as current brushless DC fans.

I was not impressed with the warranty spec on one...

fccatuncan

Commendable
Aug 23, 2018
Provided they don't have special wiring they should work.
However if they are noisey at full speed they are most likely low quality and will make noise at low speed too. Not to mention they use 3 times more amps than most other fans. (Do not connect more than 1 fan to a header until you verify header max amps.

Won't using a fan controller / hub eliminate the max amps problem since it draws power directly from the PSU and only receives PWM signals from the motherboard CHA_FAN header?

So it looks like this idea could work. I just hope these fans aren't as bad.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I could find no details on what the four wires from that fan are for. ONE web link to a seller I found said specifically it does NOT support PWM use. A user comment on one seller's page said he had not tried to connect for PWM use, but only connected +12 VDC and Ground leads from the PSU to get full speed operation.

If it does NOT operate as a computer case PWM fan, BUT you can identify the +12 VDC and Ground input wires, then you can always connect it as a 3-pin fan. The speed of such a fan can be controlled by a mobo header (whether with 3 pin or 4) that uses the older voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). That assumes that the fan design is the same as current brushless DC fans.

I was not impressed with the warranty spec on one seller's page: 1 week.

Solution

fccatuncan

Commendable
Aug 23, 2018

I was not impressed with the warranty spec on one seller's page: 1 week.

I guess I'll have to see for myself if this works. It's worth a try.