specs
i3-4170 3.7GHz
6GB RAM
Intel hd 4400
ms platinum 400W atx PSU

I know this PSU is crap but cant buy another one
can It handle rx460 or gt1030 somehow?

Solution
Yeah I know but if you cimbine 3.3v and 5v all togetger its 370W so idk if this means something but I think it should work. IS 12V REALLY SO IMPORTANT OVER THE 3.3V AND 5V?
Yes the 12v is the most important as it supplies the cpu & gpu. It is why a good quality psu will be able to deliver most of its power on the 12v. Adding the 3.3, 5.0 and 12v like this is a trick used by untrustworthy suppliers so they can get away with putting a label with a higher wattage on the psu to make it look better than it is.

denismihin

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
Actually I am saying no to both. Is this your psu? https://www.pc-specs.com/psu/MS_Industrial/MS_Industrial_Platinum_MS-400ATX/690

This psu only claims 14A on the 12v rail, that is 168w. A good psu should be able to deliver most of its power on the 12v rail. You would expect a real 400w psu to be 350w or greater on the 12v. This psu is at best a 200w and the 400w they put on the label.
Actually I am saying no to both. Is this your psu? https://www.pc-specs.com/psu/MS_Industrial/MS_Industrial_Platinum_MS-400ATX/690

This psu only claims 14A on the 12v rail, that is 168w. A good psu should be able to deliver most of its power on the 12v rail. You would expect a real 400w psu to be 350w or greater on the 12v. This psu is at best a 200w and the 400w they put on the label.
Yeah I know but if you cimbine 3.3v and 5v all togetger its 370W so idk if this means something but I think it should work. IS 12V REALLY SO IMPORTANT OVER THE 3.3V AND 5V?

Yes the 12v is the most important as it supplies the cpu & gpu. It is why a good quality psu will be able to deliver most of its power on the 12v. Adding the 3.3, 5.0 and 12v like this is a trick used by untrustworthy suppliers so they can get away with putting a label with a higher wattage on the psu to make it look better than it is.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Note - if you cannot afford to buy a PSU that will safely allow you to operate your components, then you cannot afford to buy a GPU. The PSU absolutely MUST come first.

Also note that there is a DDR4 variant of the GT 1030 as well as the GDDR5 variant. If you are buying a 1030, you want to make sure to get the GDDR5 version.

Reactions: denismihin

denismihin

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
Okay thanks
I can afford both PSU and GPU just needed something quick but now I see that i need to upgrade PSU and then I will probably buy rx470 or something like that and upgrade to 8gigs of RAM
thanks to all!btw what PSU is good for the money?(no overkill)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Prices are admittedly kind of high due to the combination of the tariffs and the pandemic. That said, the Corsair CX (2017*) 450W should cover your needs nicely. It wouldn't be my first pick under normal circumstances, but it'll do the job.

*The 2017 revision of the CX has a 5 year warranty.

Are you buying in the US?

denismihin

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
Prices are admittedly kind of high due to the combination of the tariffs and the pandemic. That said, the Corsair CX (2017*) 450W should cover your needs nicely. It wouldn't be my first pick under normal circumstances, but it'll do the job.

*The 2017 revision of the CX has a 5 year warranty.

Are you buying in the US?
nope im from EU

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Prices are a little crazy these days, because of the pandemic, I believe, but, judging by a quick search on de.pcpartpicker.com, I would suggest this:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-gx-550

I was surprised that there wasn't a Corsair CX or Vengeance available for less. If you find a CX for less, even a 450W should do it, but make sure it's one of the CX models from the 2017 revision - they will come with a 5 year warranty.