[SOLVED] 5800x running very hot with AIO need help

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
I recently built a new system and decided to install an AIO for the ryzen 7 5800x. Normally when im playing games like escape from takrov or resident evil 3 i get around 70-80C but when I play Ac odyessy its around 80-90. Do these temps make sense? maybe i installed the cpu cooler wrong or maybe there isnt enough airflow but the case has 3 intake and 3 exhaust + the AIO so i dont think its that. I understand that game specifically is CPU intensive but im worried about it hitting 90C.

DEEPCOOL MATREXX 50
CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x
RTX 3080
MAG Core Liquid 240R
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-A
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32 gb
SAMSUNG 980 M.2 NVMe

Last edited:
Solution
Deepcool Matrexx 50
Doesn't have the strongest argument for airflow, but it's probably not the biggest concern.

Ryzen 7 5800X
This cpu, going by other 5800X threads and videos - its out of the box settings are apparently too aggressive. The following video may help:

MAG Core Liquid 240R
All the Coreliquids adopt the pump-in-radiator design, except for the Coreliquid K models. PIR design has a telling flaw, that goes against the commonly recommended top radiator mount:
Radiator mounted at the top lends the pump to be exposed to air regularly. The pump should always be wet.
This unit should be front mounted. Top mount is less ideal here.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
You should not be getting near 90°c while gaming. Did you remove the plastic from the bottom of pump/heatsink? Where is it plugged in on motherboard? Is it set to 100% DC pump speed?
the plastic was removed from the pump head, its plugged into the AIO pump header on the mobo, and idk how to set it to 100% but when i go to bios its running around 4000-4200 rpm

The 5800x has a reputation for running hot, if you are running PBO or overclocking that will make it hotter. However a 240mm AIO is similar cooling performance to a mid-upper end air cooler. The 3080 throws out a lot of heat into the case, I know mine does. My idea is the AIO just isn’t up to cooling a hot cpu when the air through the radiator has been heated by the gpu, hence why you see such high temperature when gaming. Can you set up the radiator as an intake?

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
The 5800x has a reputation for running hot, if you are running PBO or overclocking that will make it hotter. However a 240mm AIO is similar cooling performance to a mid-upper end air cooler. The 3080 throws out a lot of heat into the case, I know mine does. My idea is the AIO just isn’t up to cooling a hot cpu when the air through the radiator has been heated by the gpu, hence why you see such high temperature when gaming.
no overclocking is being done and that makes sense do u have suggestions on how to make this better? is it okay to be hovering around 80-85 while gaming with the rare 90 spike? its not really a big deal bc its just one game for right now but hopefully in the future this doesnt happen again. Also I could prob put it as intake but its gonna be a bitch lmao.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Deepcool Matrexx 50
Doesn't have the strongest argument for airflow, but it's probably not the biggest concern.

Ryzen 7 5800X
This cpu, going by other 5800X threads and videos - its out of the box settings are apparently too aggressive. The following video may help:

MAG Core Liquid 240R
All the Coreliquids adopt the pump-in-radiator design, except for the Coreliquid K models. PIR design has a telling flaw, that goes against the commonly recommended top radiator mount:
Radiator mounted at the top lends the pump to be exposed to air regularly. The pump should always be wet.

Solution

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Deepcool Matrexx 50

Ryzen 7 5800X

MAG Core Liquid 240R
Great video and suggestion to mount the AIO on the front of the case. I was wondering if replacing the stock case fans would improve the temp? I have the RGB version of the Matrexx 50 i feel like for the price of the case the RBG fans are prob not the greatest
https://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2019-04/9_10862.shtml

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Great video and suggestion to mount the AIO on the front of the case. I was wondering if replacing the stock case fans would improve the temp? I have the RGB version of the Matrexx 50 i feel like for the price of the case the RBG fans are prob not the greatest
https://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2019-04/9_10862.shtml
Might not be worth the cost of the replacements. RGB fans are slightly weaker and slightly noisier than their non-RGB versions - if the company bothered to make both versions anyway.
Cooling efficiency is affected by what the chassis allows, and the weakest link here is not so much the stock fans, but the design of the chassis - mainly the front panel.
Air being able to go straight though obstacles with as little resistance as possible is just plain better for cooling and noise.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Might not be worth the cost of the replacements. RGB fans are slightly weaker and slightly noisier than their non-RGB versions - if the company bothered to make both versions anyway.
Cooling efficiency is affected by what the chassis allows, and the weakest link here is not so much the stock fans, but the design of the chassis - mainly the front panel.
Air being able to go straight though obstacles with as little resistance as possible is just plain better for cooling and noise.
I see what you’re saying honestly I should’ve got a better case but people told me it was good for airflow and a good case for the price but I literally spent 1500 for a graphics cards idk why I would cheap out on the case. Maybe it would be worth it just to disassemble the entire rig and start from scratch on a new case since I’m trying to switch the AIO anyway. Without caring about price do u have any suggestions for a good airflow case? I hear the lancool 2 mesh is good. Also what’s gonna be a bitch is taking out the USB 3.0 I feel like I’m gonna snap the board when I try to take it out. Also the HDMI audio pins got bent when I tried to screw the PSU in. It wasn’t too bad and I bent the pins back to place im just worried about taking it out is all.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
IMO, if I had to - I mean, HAD TO, change anything, it'd be the Coreliquid, not the chassis.
Considering the circumstances, the chassis can be worked with some, as having exhaust > intake is better overall for system-wide cooling anyways.
As I said in my first post, I didn't believe the Matrexx 50 was the most outstanding issue. No, I believed it was the cooler.
Replace it with an air cooler, or an AIO that doesn't run the flawed pump-in-radiator design, so you at least have the option to mount it at the top.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
I’ll definitely tweak the cpu and install the AIO frontal first just to see temps but even if it improves the case just
IMO, if I had to - I mean, HAD TO, change anything, it'd be the Coreliquid, not the chassis.
Considering the circumstances, the chassis can be worked with some, as having exhaust > intake is better overall for system-wide cooling anyways.
As I said in my first post, I didn't believe the Matrexx 50 was the most outstanding issue. No, I believed it was the cooler.
Replace it with an air cooler, or an AIO that doesn't run the flawed pump-in-radiator design, so you at least have the option to mount it at the top.
Okay that makes sense. Can u suggest the best AIO for top mount ? Price doesn’t really matter at this point I just want my cpu to be cool under heavy load. I’m a beginner and don’t have knowledge on AIO as you can tell but I notice a lot of people using Corsair for cooling. Before I even buy anything tho I will change the pump to intake this weekend and we’ll go from there but if I absolutely have to buy another AIO I will

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Best AIO? It would've been a 280mm, but since the Matrexx 50 supports at most 240mm at the top, oh well...
-Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, an ARGB version launched recently
-EK AIO 240 D-RGB, or Basic 240
-Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 240
One of those 5. The AIO market has really stagnated; many models out there are much of the same, save for the fans and some stylish pump/cpu blocks.

Corsair? UGH.
I personally don't like Corsair nor NZXT AIOs because of the mandatory software required to run them.
The fewer software apps we users have to run, the more smoothly our systems will run. I try to get by using as few of them as possible.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Best AIO? It would've been a 280mm, but since the Matrexx 50 supports at most 240mm at the top, oh well...
One of those 5. The AIO market has really stagnated; many models out there are much of the same, save for the fans and some stylish pump/cpu blocks.

Corsair? UGH.
I personally don't like Corsair nor NZXT AIOs because of the mandatory software required to run them.
The fewer software apps we users have to run, the more smoothly our systems will run. I try to get by using as few of them as possible.
I’ll keep that in mind thank you for your time and input i appreciate it. We’ll see how the temps are when I move around the AIO although it’s gonna be tough considering my Aorus 3080 is thicker than two bricks put together and I need to orientate the radiator in a way that the pump is coming from the bottom of the case and not the top but hopefully everything will go well

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

Corsair? UGH.
Also maybe I could do a 280 AIO as frontal intake? Maybe even 360 if it fits but I dont think so

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, Matrexx 50 has a VGA clearance of 370mm.
You said you have an Aorus 3080? Both Aorus Extreme and Master are the same length, at 319mm.
That leaves 51mm of space for a front mounted AIO... unless the radiator is 26mm thick or less, then it probably won't fit.[Fans are normally 25mm thick.]

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
You said you have an Aorus 3080? Both Aorus Extreme and Master are the same length, at 319mm.
That leaves 51mm of space for a front mounted AIO... unless the radiator is 26mm thick or less, then it probably won't fit.[Fans are normally 25mm thick.]
The radiator thickness is 27mm😂

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
This kinda sucks bc the guy who works at Canada computers told me I could install this as a frontal intake if I wanted to:/ I guess I could’ve made sure myself but I’m so bad with AIOs I have no idea what’s good and what’s not and I just assumed the guy would’ve checked the dimensions Guess I’ll have to buy a different AIO so I can mount it on the top

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They just said you could do front mount without checking the dimensions themselves? Well, that's a bit irresponsible.
They also didn't appear to know about the pump-in-radiator model and treated it like any other AIO.

It might not change anything, but you should file a complaint with management, if at least on the part about the radiator not fitting at the front as previously mentioned.
Because right now, you have an AIO that you can't get optimal performance out of unless it's mounted at the front. Top mount doesn't work well in part due to where the pump is located.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
They just said you could do front mount without checking the dimensions themselves? Well, that's a bit irresponsible.
They also didn't appear to know about the pump-in-radiator model and treated it like any other AIO.

It might not change anything, but you should file a complaint with management, if at least on the part about the radiator not fitting at the front as previously mentioned.
Because right now, you have an AIO that you can't get optimal performance out of unless it's mounted at the front. Top mount doesn't work well in part due to where the pump is located.
So they basically gave me thermal paste and said to reapply the thermal paste + change the top exhaust to intake so all I did was redo the thermal paste and my AC Odyssey temps are way better ! im at around 75 stable and it jumps to 85 sometimes but very rare. Also sometimes I gets under 70 so that's perfect !

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Might want to re-evaluate that across other titles. Ones that are gpu heavy may show less favorable results.
If I remember correctly, AC: Odyssey leans more towards the cpu side of things.
I tried escape from tarkov, and rogue company and both are around 60-65. AC is indeed very cpu intensive so it’s usually 10 degrees higher. I still haven’t even used that video you sent to tweak the cpu.
update: I just tried back4blood and it was a solid 80

Last edited:

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Might want to re-evaluate that across other titles. Ones that are gpu heavy may show less favorable results.
If I remember correctly, AC: Odyssey leans more towards the CPU side of things.
So I used that youtube video you sent me and changed the settings and AC Odyessy runs ALOT smoother and gets around 68-75 hovering. My idle temps are around 40 and 50 while discord/browsers are open which isnt too bad bc before it was 30-35 idle but honestly man I think im just gonna get a new case and rebuild the PC. I think I settled for the Lian Li Lancool 2 mesh RBG it just makes sense to have a mesh in the front of a case to get as much airflow as possible. I was thinking about getting the performance version (140mm fans intake) but if im using the 240r I would have 120mm fans in the front anyway. Now I guess I have to decide if I should replace both the AIO and get performance or keep AIO and get the RBG version.