sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Hey guys,

Bought a Modular Seasonic PSU about 3 years ago along with the rest of my system including an 8800GT video card. Not thinking much about upgrading, after completing my build, i threw away all the accessories including extra cables. DOH!!!

Well, just last week, I bought a Nvidia GTX460 which requires 2 6-pin connectors. I have been unable to find a male/male 6-pin power connector to go from my PSU to my VC. Newegg has a female/male cable. I also tried ebay but come up with mostly adapters. Before i contact Seasonic, anyone know where i can get a male/male connector?

Thanks

Hmmmmm..... unless the extra molex cable also were thrown out.

Google isn't turning up anything other than a generic 'you can make your own' suggestion.
Also a suggestion to look for 'retired' or broken modular PSUs and salvage a cable.

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I did find the 2x moles 4 pin to 6 pin adapter cable. I would need 2 4-pin mole outputs from my PSU in order to supply sufficient enough power to the 6 pin plug correct? It's been a while since i've built this computer and honestly forget alot about building in general. I always thought the 4-pin moles were reserved for lower power consumption accessories.

Spent the past 1/2 hour gutting my computer and I did manage to find a hardwired (from the PSU) 8-pin plug. I see there is an 8pin to 6-pin+2pin. I guess i can use that and leave 2-pin dangle or cut it off?

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Not knowing exactly how to tell, I would say that it is a PCI-e connector, since I have never heard of a CPU that requires 6 pins of power. Some need only 4 pins, most motherboards now use 8 pins, and the highest end i7 boards use 2x 8 pin, but I have never heard of a 6 pin to a CPU. Just a common sense answer, feel free to disregard it.

"I always thought the 4-pin moles were reserved for lower power consumption accessories."

You'd be surprised how much power a 4 pin molex can (and will) provide.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Sorry, you said the connector that you had found from the PSU was a 6+2 pin.

"I did manage to find a hardwired (from the PSU) 8-pin plug. I see there is an 8pin to 6-pin+2pin."

That sounded to me like you had found a 6+2 connector hardwired from the PSU. Now you have said that it is an "EPS 12V 8P" which is a connector type that is used to power the CPU, and connects to the motherboard.

I was just confused as to why a 6+2 would be from an EPS connector. Looking at the Newegg link I see that you have used an 8pin EPS to 6+2pin PCI-e adapter. Thanks for the clarification.

The adapter should make it perfectly safe to use with a 6pin input graphics card.

About the Molex again, you could probably plug the adapter into 2 molex connectors on the same strand and have it work properly, but I'm not sure. I have no experience in that area.

My thinking is if you already have the eight pin EPS CPU aux power plugged into your motherboard that hardwired 8-pin plug you found is going to be a PCI-e power lead.

edit;
OK, the Seasonic website clearly shows its the EPS 8pin aux power lead that is hard wired to the PSU. Which means your MB is using the ATX 4 pin.

And that EPS to PCI-e adapter is the right part.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

That's fine, just glad we got everything worked out.

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I have to give props to Seasonic. I e-mailed them explaining the situation and asked if i could purchase the 6-pin power cord. They e-mailed me back asking me for my address and shipped it to me that day free of charge.