8 GB installed, 4 GB available

supplecoder

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
A while back I built my own computer and I have this problem where all of the memory is detected as installed but only half of it is usable. The bios shows 2 GB installed in every slot but only slots 1 and 2 show 2 GB under enabled memory, slots 3 and 4 are blank. I have tried shuffling the sticks between slots, I have tried reseating the cpu, I have looked for bent pins and not found any, I even tried reinstalling the OS but nothing seems to work. Please help, I want my 8 gigs :'(

Motherboard: GIGABYTE P55A-UD4P (rev 2.0)
CPU: Intel Core i7 860
Memory: 4x2GB G.Skill 1600

I'd start with a Clear CMOS, the Jumper method is the best; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

If the sets are different then the BIOS might be turning-off the second set in the channels. There's no option for 'Memory Remapping -> Enabled' for 64-bit. There are rare instances of multiple, one being 32-bit, of disabling the RAM >4GB. Also, if you have an aftermarket HSF and if there's any metal to MOBO contact the DIMM slots could be shorted, and same for a rogue standoff. Therefore, use the stock HSF and the easiest - unscrew the standoffs and PCIe screws, dangle MOBO supported by a towel away from anything conductive and boot.

Q - What EXACT RAM Kit(s)? ; provide link(s)