8400 certificate of authenticity?

Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
"authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
the service tag.

Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
would I find that?

--David

Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
sent.

You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.

Tom
<David Ellis> wrote in message
> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
> the service tag.
>
> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
> would I find that?
>
> --David

If the drive has been formatted, can I boot from the Dell CD and get
XP istalled without having a product key?
--David

>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
>sent.
>
>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
>
>Tom
><David Ellis> wrote in message
>> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
>> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
>> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
>> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
>> the service tag.
>>
>> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
>> would I find that?
>>
>> --David

yes.

> If the drive has been formatted, can I boot from the Dell CD and get
> XP istalled without having a product key?
> --David
>
>>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
>>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
>>sent.
>>
>>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
>>
>>Tom
>><David Ellis> wrote in message
>>> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
>>> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
>>> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
>>> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
>>> the service tag.
>>>
>>> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
>>> would I find that?
>>>
>>> --David

Doesn't matter if the drive is formatted. You can partition and format it
during the install.

> yes.
>
> <David Ellis> wrote in message
>> If the drive has been formatted, can I boot from the Dell CD and get
>> XP istalled without having a product key?
>> --David
>>
>>>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
>>>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got
>>>one
>>>sent.
>>>
>>>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>><David Ellis> wrote in message

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:04:46 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
>sent.
>
>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
>
>Tom
><David Ellis> wrote in message
>> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
>> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
>> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
>> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
>> the service tag.
>>
>> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
>> would I find that?
>>
>> --David

Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
Sometimes they hide them there.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:42:36 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:04:46 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
>>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got one
>>sent.
>>
>>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
>>
>>Tom
>><David Ellis> wrote in message
>>> Where would I find such a certificate "that comes with your new
>>> computer," accroding to MS literature accompanying the 8400? A search
>>> of the Dimension 8400 manual provides no hit on "certificate" or
>>> "authenticity." The only sticker I see on the back of the computer is
>>> the service tag.
>>>
>>> Is a product key required to install the OEM WinXP on the 8400? Where
>>> would I find that?
>>>
>>> --David
>>
>Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
>Sometimes they hide them there.

Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:42:36 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:04:46 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Should be on the side of the case at the bottom. Pretty colorful. They do
>>>occasionally forget them (they did on my 4550), but a call to them got
>>>one
>>>sent.
>>>
>>>You will not need it to reinstall XP if you use the DELL disk.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>><David Ellis> wrote in message

>>Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
>>Sometimes they hide them there.
>
> Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
> use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)

It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.

Stew

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.

That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service Tag #
and the Express Service code #.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>
Desktop: Dimension 8400

"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>

>>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
>>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
>>
> That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service Tag
> #
> and the Express Service code #.
> --
> <<<SgtRich>>>
> Desktop: Dimension 8400
> Notebook: Dimension 8600
> Both running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

That's the same on my 4500 as well.

Stew

> "SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
>> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing
>>>the
>>>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
>>>
>> That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service
>> Tag #
>> and the Express Service code #.
>> --
>> <<<SgtRich>>>
>> Desktop: Dimension 8400
>> Notebook: Dimension 8600
>> Both running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>

> That's the same on my 4500 as well.
>

> Stew

But we're not looking for the service tag. We're looking for the XP COA.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>> That's where mine is, as well. Under the front I/O door is the Service
>>> Tag #
>>> and the Express Service code #.

>> That's the same on my 4500 as well.

>But we're not looking for the service tag. We're looking for the XP COA.

Did you get confused a bit, Tom? That's what Stew was pointing
out when he wrote:

"It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while
facing the front of the machine) on the lower rear left side
cover."

Sgt Rich then agreed with: "That's where mine is, as well.",
before going on to say that: "Under the front I/O door is the
Service and the Express Service code #."

At least that is how I read it.

I was mildly fussed when I found they moved the COA and Service
Tag #/Express Service Code # labels from the left side of the
case [on my L733r] to the back [on my D4400]. Now you guys are
telling me that they're *really* hiding them.

That's it. No more Dells for me. I can live with the long
holds, offshore support, confusing pricing schemes; but there's a
limit to things up with which I will put. Dell has gone beyond
the pale with this nefarious scheme to hide the COA and ST/ESC
labels.

[;-> for the chain pull challenged]
--
OJ III

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

><David Ellis> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:42:36 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>Did you open the door in front at the bottom where the USB ports are?
>>>Sometimes they hide them there.
>>
>> Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
>> use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)
>

>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
>

>Stew

On one of mine recently they hid it under the door where the USB port
is.

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:36:48 -0600, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>><David Ellis> wrote in message

>>> Good point. Next time I'm crawling around on the floor attempting to
>>> use the inaccessible phone jack and USB ports, I'll have a look. :=)
>>

>>It won't be under the front I/O door. It will likely be (while facing the
>>front of the machine) on the lower rear left side cover.
>>

>>Stew
>
> On one of mine recently they hid it under the door where the USB port
> is.

I've not seen a Dell with a COA anywhere but on the side panel (other than
some SFF Opti's where they are on the top).

I've only seen system service tags and express codes on stickers under the
front I/O door.

Stew