[SOLVED] A couple of Question on PSU and what cable can go were

Mar 7, 2020
I'll do my best to keep this short. I just got an ASUS B550-f Wifi upgrade from my MSI B450. I have an EVGA BR 80+ semi-mod and my GPU is Gigabyte 1660 super. Also, my CPU is Ryzen 3600. I notice when i was using my old case the front 2 3.0 USBs the right one didn't seem to work. SO when I took it apart to change case I noticed a pin was busted on the 3.0 front header. My first question is would you try to put a small pin in that hole on the cable from the case and hope they connect? Otherwise, does ASUS replace mobo? It's less than 4 months old if that. 2nd question the motherboard has an additional 8+4 on the top of the board. This is in addition to the 24 pin main power pin connectors. My GPU is Semi Mod and my main power cables is the 24 pin power and anther cable with 2-4 pins. Since I didn't know where to get the addition 4 pin to complete the total 12 pins I've been just using the 8 and it seems to run fine. Can I use another cable from the GPU to add that extra 4 pins? The other issue I have with all these power connectors is my GPU requires an additional 8 pin power pin on it. I was reading a post somewhere and they said not to worry about that additional pins on the GPU. So I'm confused. Can I run it the way I have been and just not have that additional 4 pins for the power. Seemed to have no issues with it and I don't game on crazy intense power-draining games or do any graphic design. But I do want to make sure all is running at its best. Does anyone have any suggestions on either question, the pins for the power and GPU, plus the 3.0 USB front header? One other question is the extra little power adaptor for my GPU has on one end the 8 pin for the header on the GPU and the other end is duel 6 pins. The first modular Cable coming from PSU is called VGA, and the 2nd one is Prefer 1. If I could combine the Molex and the plugs between the 2 I could probably reach both spots. Is that ok to mix the cable coming out of PSU? That's where I don't have any clue. Any help would be appreciate

Solution
I'll do my best to keep this short. I just got an ASUS B550-f Wifi upgrade from my MSI B450. I have an EVGA BR 80+ semi-mod and my GPU is Gigabyte 1660 super. Also, my CPU is Ryzen 3600. I notice when i was using my old case the front 2 3.0 USBs the right one didn't seem to work. SO when I took it apart to change case I noticed a pin was busted on the 3.0 front header. My first question is would you try to put a small pin in that hole on the cable from the case and hope they connect? Otherwise, does ASUS replace mobo? It's less than 4 months old if that. 2nd question the motherboard has an additional 8+4 on the top of the board. This is in addition to the 24 pin main power pin connectors. My GPU is Semi Mod and my main power cables...
I'll do my best to keep this short. I just got an ASUS B550-f Wifi upgrade from my MSI B450. I have an EVGA BR 80+ semi-mod and my GPU is Gigabyte 1660 super. Also, my CPU is Ryzen 3600. I notice when i was using my old case the front 2 3.0 USBs the right one didn't seem to work. SO when I took it apart to change case I noticed a pin was busted on the 3.0 front header. My first question is would you try to put a small pin in that hole on the cable from the case and hope they connect? Otherwise, does ASUS replace mobo? It's less than 4 months old if that. 2nd question the motherboard has an additional 8+4 on the top of the board. This is in addition to the 24 pin main power pin connectors. My GPU is Semi Mod and my main power cables is the 24 pin power and anther cable with 2-4 pins. Since I didn't know where to get the addition 4 pin to complete the total 12 pins I've been just using the 8 and it seems to run fine. Can I use another cable from the GPU to add that extra 4 pins? The other issue I have with all these power connectors is my GPU requires an additional 8 pin power pin on it. I was reading a post somewhere and they said not to worry about that additional pins on the GPU. So I'm confused. Can I run it the way I have been and just not have that additional 4 pins for the power. Seemed to have no issues with it and I don't game on crazy intense power-draining games or do any graphic design. But I do want to make sure all is running at its best. Does anyone have any suggestions on either question, the pins for the power and GPU, plus the 3.0 USB front header? One other question is the extra little power adaptor for my GPU has on one end the 8 pin for the header on the GPU and the other end is duel 6 pins. The first modular Cable coming from PSU is called VGA, and the 2nd one is Prefer 1. If I could combine the Molex and the plugs between the 2 I could probably reach both spots. Is that ok to mix the cable coming out of PSU? That's where I don't have any clue. Any help would be appreciate

My first question is would you try to put a small pin in that hole on the cable from the case and hope they connect?
No. There should be 19 pins for the USB 3 header on the motherboard so it's not a missing pin, unless you have less than 19.

Can I run it the way I have been and just not have that additional 4 pins for the power.
Yes. It will be fine with just the 4+4 pin connected. While some motherboards are picky about it you don't need it in most cases.

Can I use another cable from the GPU to add that extra 4 pins?
No. You will fry the motherboard. The extra 4-pin is supplemental power for the CPU and in most cases is only necessary for very high powered CPU's and overclocking. You should not need it for a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.

- You didn't list the model number or wattage of your EVGA power supply so I don't know if it has the power cable you need for the graphics card. This power cable must be connected from the graphics card to the power supply. No you should not use molex cables. If your PCIe (VGA) cables are only 6-pin at the end for the graphics card you have a problem because your GTX 1660 Super needs a (6+2) 8-pin PCIe power cable. You may be able to use a dual 6-pin to single (6+2) 8-pin PCIe adapter for the graphics card but it's better to have the proper power supply for the system. List the power supply model so we can determine for sure and also to evaluate its overall quality.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 26, 2020
No. There should be 19 pins for the USB 3 header on the motherboard so it's not a missing pin, unless you have less than 19.

Yes. It will be fine with just the 4+4 pin connected. While some motherboards are picky about it you don't need it in most cases.

No. You will fry the motherboard. The extra 4-pin is supplemental power for the CPU and in most cases is only necessary for very high powered CPU's and overclocking. You should not need it for a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.

- You didn't list the model number or wattage of your EVGA power supply so I don't know if it has the power cable you need for the graphics card. This power cable must be connected from the graphics card to the power supply. No you should not use molex cables. If your PCIe (VGA) cables are only 6-pin at the end for the graphics card you have a problem because your GTX 1660 Super needs a (6+2) 8-pin PCIe power cable. You may be able to use a dual 6-pin to single (6+2) 8-pin PCIe adapter for the graphics card but it's better to have the proper power supply for the system. List the power supply model so we can determine for sure and also to evaluate its overall quality.
Sorry about that. Its a evga 600watt 80+ BR. So I should connect the 2 6 pins to the adopotor that came with graphic card?

Jun 26, 2020

There is one pin that is not there so I k iw it designed that way but there is a broken pin. What should I do?

OK thanks. What about the front USB header. What would you do?
The evga 600 BR power supply comes with 2 x 8-pin(6+2) connectors for the graphics card on one cable. You have what you need already. You don't need adapters. Connect the 6-pin to the little 2-pin if it's not already connected and plug in to the video card. There's nothing you can do with the damaged USB 3 header unless you want to RMA the motherboard but they may not replace it for a broken pin.

Mar 7, 2020
The evga 600 BR power supply comes with 2 x 8-pin(6+2) connectors for the graphics card on one cable. You have what you need already. You don't need adapters. Connect the 6-pin to the little 2-pin if it's not already connected and plug in to the video card. There's nothing you can do with the damaged USB 3 header unless you want to RMA the motherboard but they may not replace it for a broken pin.
Even with the broken pin the right side USB port still works. So I'll live with it

Mar 7, 2020
Even with the broken pin the right side USB port still works. So I'll live with it
One last question and I'll be done. So I purchased a new case. Its a Corsair 220T RGB Mid Tower. So I'm unsure about the cables it has for the front header pins. I have a POWER SW, +p LED & -p LED, RESET SW front audio and USB 3 connector. Is that correct?

One last question and I'll be done. So I purchased a new case. Its a Corsair 220T RGB Mid Tower. So I'm unsure about the cables it has for the front header pins. I have a POWER SW, +p LED & -p LED, RESET SW front audio and USB 3 connector. Is that correct?
Your motherboard manual will tell you exactly how and where to put those. Some board manufacturers use online manuals in case you didn't get a printed version. Double check all your connections before turning the system on.