Question About the Threadripper 1950X

mtyms818

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I've lately been thinking on upgrading my rather old processor from a AMD FX 9590 to the new Threadripper 1950X. My computer can handle games like Rainbow Six Siege near perfect, except for the occasional framerate drop from 60 to 40/45. It's a problem I hope this processor will fix. So, the question is, will this motherboard I have also be able to fit the Threadripper? I'm pretty sure it won't overheat because of my Corsair H60, and should have more than enough power as the wattage being used will drop by 40 watts. I'm simply uncertain of this will fry my motherboard or not fit in the first place. I'm currently not at my computer, so I'll post the model of my motherboard later.
Also, I suspect that the drop in framerate is due to this CPU being an average 6 years old now. Is this true?

mtyms818

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
It wont fit, and you wouldnt want a threadripper anyway.

If you want to upgrade, grab an R5/R7, new motherboard, and new RAM.
So, if I grabbed a Ryzen 7 2700x, would you say that's a good upgrade? Also, my ram is DDR3, is it inherently worse than DDR4 to be noticeable? Would it be an issue just to keep the same motherboard and ram? I have 16 gigs of ram, and I'm pretty sure that's average if not above average.
What motherboard would you recommend for a R7 2700x?