Accessing Tower PC BIOS using a laptop?

Bjg13190

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
So my org received 90+ PCs which I need to pull the NMVe M.2 SDD serial numbers from via BIOS prior to their installation.

My question is simply whether or not it is possible to access the PC towers BIOS (straight out of box) using a laptop. Is it as simple as using an HDMI and using the Fn key to swap display or is there more to it than this?

TIA

Bjg13190

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
what?? do you mean using laptop as a display? very few laptop have video input. most of them are output only

I will tell you, I have no idea. I've had TWO people suggesting using my laptop (rather than a Keyboard and monitor) to access the towers' BIOS and it is literally something I've just not heard of...

USAFRet

Titan
My question is simply whether or not it is possible to access the PC towers BIOS (straight out of box) using a laptop. Is it as simple as using an HDMI and using the Fn key to swap display or is there more to it than this?
Short answer, No.

Long answer, No.

So my org received 90+ PCs which I need to pull the NMVe M.2 SDD serial numbers from via BIOS prior to their installation.
Prior to WHAT installation?

Reactions: Bjg13190

Bjg13190

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
Short answer, No.

Long answer, No.

Prior to WHAT installation?

They cannot enter the space they're destined for without each SDD being logged and signed for by security+ISSM :rolleyes:.

I didn't think so either, but wanted to verify I'm not wrong before I inform them that their solution is wrong. Thank you.