Question Acer Laptop won't boot from second ssd

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
A few weeks ago I bought a new Acer Nitro 5 and promptly put a second ssd from my old laptop into it. I left the old system partition in case I didn't like Windows 11. The system sees the drive, can interact and transfer files, and also sees the system partition in diskpart

Welp, as it turns out, I have had nothing but issue with Windows 11, from drivers not installing properly, to audio cutting out from multiple sources when i raise or lower the audio(perma-freezes videos), to FPS problems in games where it just goes down by 1 every second until its unplayable.

So I decided I would like to use my old windows 10 drive as my boot drive, and tried to go into the BIOS to change the boot device. I set the admin password, did all the other bollocks, but my second ssd refuses to be seen as a bootable drive. I know its a bootable drive, I booted from it 2 weeks ago and haven't changed the system partition in any way. The BIOS did see a removable drive as a boot drive, but not the now integrated one. The only option I have is Windows Boot Manager.

I just want to boot to my old system and pretend that Windows 11 doesn't exist until they have fixed the non-stop unexplained bugs. I don't have access to fresh boot media at the moment, and I don't want to reinstall windows anyway because I know I have a working version, I just need the masters at Tom's Hardware to save me.

Thank you for your time and help.

USAFRet

Titan
I just want to boot to my old system and pretend that Windows 11 doesn't exist until they have fixed the non-stop unexplained bugs. I don't have access to fresh boot media at the moment, and I don't want to reinstall windows anyway because I know I have a working version, I just need the masters at Tom's Hardware to save me.
You're trying to use the drive from your old system, with its already installed Win 10, in a whole different laptop?

Yeah, that's highly likely to fail. As you are seeing.

A Windows install is not modular like that.

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
You're trying to use the drive from your old system, with its already installed Win 10, in a whole different laptop?

Yeah, that's highly likely to fail. As you are seeing.

A Windows install is not modular like that.
Of course it takes a bit of work to get it perfectly fleshed out with all the drivers it needs to function, but I have always been able to boot the OS of another laptop hard drive on my laptops, no matter how many issues it gave.

Usually I would just reinstall and be done with it, but I am on a long term trip at the moment and don't have the usb drives/hard drives to be able to save all my files from both drives. I don't even have a usb I could format into a bootable atm so I'm trying to finagle as best I can.

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Image both systems, reimage W10 to the boot-able (new) SSD. Keep a copy of both.

Also, what's the status of MBR or (if UEFI) boot records on old SSD?
Reimaging could solve this problem.
I think that's a pretty solid idea, maybe if I can buy an extra external drive, I could reimage the drives, but at the moment I don't have anything with enough space for two drives. I'm in a foreign country and have limited resources at the moment.

Well command sees the old system but gives an error when prompted to add the system to boot selection.