[SOLVED] Adding 16gb RAM to existing 8gb RAM ?

invinci

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have 8GB(4x2) Dual Channel Already installed currently in my motherboard which has 4 memory stick slots. My query is regarding adding another 16GB Dual channel (8*2) to the remaining memory slots. Would that work? I'm a complete noob and looking to upgrade my ram as 8GB now feels sluggish under load. Would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Solution
MSI B450M Pro VDH Plus MB
8GB(4*2) GSKILL RIPJAWS 2800mhz Memory
2200G APU (Would be upgrading this in future)
500GB SSD
Theoretically yes but it's a crapshoot when mixing RAM. You shouldn't count on it working at all. Best chance if you can find exactly same RAM modules. DDR3 was quite forgiving which is not the case with DDR4.
Hello everyone,

I have 8GB(4x2) Dual Channel Already installed currently in my motherboard which has 4 memory stick slots. My query is regarding adding another 16GB Dual channel (8*2) to the remaining memory slots. Would that work? I'm a complete noob and looking to upgrade my ram as 8GB now feels sluggish under load. Would appreciate your help. Thanks.
What are your components ?

invinci

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
mixing ram sticks is always a 50/50 crap shoot. you can always try it, if it causes issues then pull the 2x4GB kit out and run the 2x8GB kit by itself.

Ohh! Would it automatically reduce the frequency? Can it permanently damage my other component? Asking it because I want to keep the machine running for now as I have kept my expenses very low in this pandemic.