Advice on a high-end laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisunter

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I have the need for a desktop replacement laptop and would like some opinions on the best manufacturer. I am looking to spend around $3000 (US). The software I am using requires processing power as well as good graphics. I will be doing semi-finite element analysis simulation modeling with graphical displays. These are the spec's I am most interested in:

Windows XP OS (software still has problems with Vista)

Fast processor with 6-8 MB Cache

High end graphics card that does Open GL very well
-> GeForce cards seem to work the best

Hard drive at 7200 rpm

2-4 Gig of RAM (although I understand that only Vista will recognize the full 4 Gig?)

For these spec's it looks like a high end gaming system is what I need. The manufacturers that I have been looking at are Dell, Sager, and Sony. Are there any other (better?) manufacturers that I should be looking at for the above spec's?

My question is, what company, in your opinion, makes the best computer for the above price and specifications? I have read a number of reviews of the Dell XPS systems and some Sony reviews but have had a hard time finding Sager reviews. Are the Sager systems a good build?

Thank you,

Eric

Yes, I am running a Sager right now, specs in the sig. Excellent build quality, awesome screens and good hardware at decent prices. Your best bet would be to look at either the Sager 5792 or the 9262. These two are sold and rebranded by multiple companies like WidowPC, XoticPC (bleck) and KillerNotebooks (with some modifications). You would want something with:
Intel Core2 Penryn or Core2 desktop
4gb of RAM (either 667 or 800)
Nvidia 8800mGTX

With the Dell XPS' the only one that would fit your bill is the M1730 and it is ugly and overpriced and compared to new systems with the 8800's is outperformed.
I've never been a fan of Sony. Their unit's look nice, but they tend to be more expensive than units similarly equiped.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/category_browse.php?cid=&lcdsize=17
http://killernotebooks.com/entrance_page.aspx

Hisunter

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Thank you lostandwandering and Maziar for your responses. I think that I will go with the Sager but now I have to decide between the NP 9262 and NP 5792. The two systems offer different (great) processors, but i am not sure what the end resulting difference is between these processors:

45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.50GHz, 800MHz FSB

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6750 / 4MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB [-$105.00]

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6850 / 4MB L2 Cache, 3.0GHz, 1333MHz FSB [-$5.00]

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6600 / 8MB L2 Cache, 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6700 / 8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB

What is more important for the processor, speed or cache? I thought that cache would be the bottleneck for what I am going to be using the computer for, but I have no idea how to compare the two? Is there one that is more important or are they all good cards and I should just pick one?

Sorry for being so specific I am just trying to make the best purchase.

Thank you,

Eric

Obviously the two quads in the 9262 are going to give you the most horsepower. One thing you do need to consider though is that the 9262 is using desktop processors, so if you need any battery life at all you won't want to go that route. The rated battery life of the 9262 is something abysmal like 60 minutes, while the 5792 can get from 90-120. I don't know if style is going to affect your decision, but the 9262 is butt ugly while the 5792 is a little more sleek and streamlined.

Hisunter

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Thank you for your help. I just purchased this Sager computer:

NP5792

- Display: 17" Wide Viewing Angles WUXGA LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1200)
- Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9500 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.60GHz, 800MHz FSB
- Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Video Memory
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® XP Professional
- Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 1024MB
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 200GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive

Now it's just a waiting game...

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
It's still relatively a beast, just not the biggest one. It'll still chew up any laptop that you'll meet regularly. I know, I know, we all want the best, but that's even harder with a laptop than a desktop.

Especially since they want 600 bucks for a motherboard upgrade for the new GTX and it doesn't even fit in mine! Darn you Sager and your new chasis! [/end rant]

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Well, all the games I play (short of CoD4) can be played on max, so I'm satisfied. :p Even better now that I can coax the small fan to turn off, so it's /so/ much quieter.

Yeah COD4 is the one exception to my laptop's outstanding performance. I'm pretty sure the only reason for that is that my CPU is pretty much at the bare minimum of the recommended system requirements. If my laptop wasn't still under warranty and I had nothing to lose, I would OC the CPU, but until then it remains at stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.