Question Advice on minimum VR parts for PC play

Shaun_6

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
Hey everyone.

I'm looking at buying a second hand VR set. I really just wanted to sit in a chair with a keyboard and mouse, so i don't really need all the controllers and other stuff.

Just wondering what i would need? Say i was going for a HTC Vive would i just need the head set and link box?

What's i decent set that i could get that just has the base components?

Last edited:

Shaun_6

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
Yes this is possible and there are some games that support it, using a console controller or mouse and keyboard but if this is a room size issue, many of the games have sitting/standing in one in area mode. If it is possible, I highly recommend that you play with the vive controllers. But if you really just want to play with mouse and keyboard, I'm pretty sure all you would need is the vive headset and the two trackers that you hook into your wall.

Hi thanks for your effort in replying, but just a bit of advice for a new member. Most people here are after solid facts, not guesses.

After I stopped being lazy i worked out that for the Vive you need at least 1 base station, the head set and the link box.

Mar 24, 2019
I would recommend buying an used Oculus Rift because they work better with weak systems. But check if 2 Sensors are included.
To my knowledge the gtx 1060 is the weakest GPU for VR gaming.

But Oculus has an software which checks if your System is strong enough. I can highly recommend checking that out.

Shaun_6

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
I would recommend buying an used Oculus Rift because they work better with weak systems. But check if 2 Sensors are included.
To my knowledge the gtx 1060 is the weakest GPU for VR gaming.

But Oculus has an software which checks if your System is strong enough. I can highly recommend checking that out.

Sorry yeah my thread probably wasn't clear for mobile device users. If you read the thread on a PC it shows my signature which displays my PC specs.

My PC is ready. I was just wondering about the minimum VR parts, like if i could use the googles alone without any of the controllers or attachments.

Mar 24, 2019
Sorry yeah my thread probably wasn't clear for mobile device users. If you read the thread on a PC it shows my signature which displays my PC specs.

My PC is ready. I was just wondering about the minimum VR parts, like if i could use the googles alone without any of the controllers or attachments.

No you also need a sensor. If you want a good vr quality I would recommend getting 2 of them. Oculus will soon release their new headset which does not need any sensor. But it won’t be cheap (~400usd)

Mar 5, 2019
If you are getting into VR with the preface that you don't want to stand up - I might suggest something like mixed reality or even something as small as Google Cardboard.

Granted, there are some games (Demos) that allow you to sit and enjoy the show, but for the most part - even the simplest of games - should be played standing.

You're not going to have much fun when you are rocking robo recall and there are bots behind you.....

Reactions: digitalgriffin
If you are getting into VR with the preface that you don't want to stand up - I might suggest something like mixed reality or even something as small as Google Cardboard.

Granted, there are some games (Demos) that allow you to sit and enjoy the show, but for the most part - even the simplest of games - should be played standing.

You're not going to have much fun when you are rocking robo recall and there are bots behind you.....

Flight sims and car races are the only games that would work well seated with VR

That said in terms of minimal configuration i would say two light houses for head tracking with the vive are necessary. And the controllers are designed so you can quickly select atuff without fumbling around blind on a keyboard and mouse.

Sorry to say the entry price into vr is high.