Question Advise on Graphics Card

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

I have a quite old HP desktop computer with 4GB RAM and a Pegatron brand motherboard, model is 2A72h.
My CPU is AMD Phenom X3 8600B, 2.30 GHz.

Currently it runs on ATI Radeon 4650 1GB and I am planning to replace it with a new one, preferably with a Radeon RX 550 4GB.

Is it compitable with the motherboard or the CPU? Do you guys have any other suggestion? Should I replace the CPU too?
Or/and any other suggestions?

Thank you.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Trying to find what cards will work with legacy bios motherboard is very difficult, It depends on the Brand if they have dual bios. I lucked out and took a chance and bought a used XFX RX460 on eBay for $60 and found out it works on my 775 boards. I ended up buying two more XFX RX460's , one more for my other computer and My brothers 775 board (his is older than mine). It is even more iffy in a prebuilt like a HP or Dell. Also the power supply has to be rated for the card and have the right connectors. 450 WATTS for a rx550. A lot of people would say your wasting your money upgrading something that old. That is why I went with used on mine. Need to know the Case model of your HP not just the motherboard.

Reactions: digitalgriffin