[SOLVED] After Bios Update + Cpu Upgrade, fps has dropped Significantly, even in light weight games.

Mar 19, 2022
First off here are my specs:
mobo: Asus prime x470
cpu: and Ryzen 9 5900x (old one was 7 2900x)
Gpu: gigabyte gtx 1080 G1
cooler: Corsair icue h100i elite capellix.
Memory: 48 gb ram; 2 16gb and 2 8gb Corsair vengeance DDR4.
Psu: evga super nova 850 g2, 80+ gold 850w

So I had my motherboards bios updated to accommodate my new CPU, as it was generations ahead and was required. Once it was updated, the new cpu went on. However, now i am finding that my fps in games is significantly lower. I play league of legends and my pc pushes 60+ fps almost always, but now it is hitting 30 and staying there. Not only in games, but even just on my desktop, if i move my mouse around it looks laggy and isnt smooth. If i click the windows icon, the way its brought up you can just tell its lagging and unsmooth. I tried a heavier game, sekiro shadows die twice, and it ran, but just laggy with low fps, but honestly was less noticeable than league. I've updated my gpu's bios and all drivers are updated. I'm beat and lost on what to do next.

Solution

So I had my motherboards bios updated to accommodate my new CPU, as it was generations ahead and was required. Once it was updated, the new cpu went on. However, now i am finding that my fps in games is significantly lower. I play league of legends and my pc pushes 60+ fps almost always, but now it is hitting 30 and staying there. Not only in games, but even just on my desktop, if i move my mouse around it looks laggy and isnt smooth. If i click the windows...

So I had my motherboards bios updated to accommodate my new CPU, as it was generations ahead and was required. Once it was updated, the new cpu went on. However, now i am finding that my fps in games is significantly lower. I play league of legends and my pc pushes 60+ fps almost always, but now it is hitting 30 and staying there. Not only in games, but even just on my desktop, if i move my mouse around it looks laggy and isnt smooth. If i click the windows icon, the way its brought up you can just tell its lagging and unsmooth. I tried a heavier game, sekiro shadows die twice, and it ran, but just laggy with low fps, but honestly was less noticeable than league. I've updated my gpu's bios and all drivers are updated. I'm beat and lost on what to do next.
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (no safe mode needed, clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 24 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Driver in Control Panel (skip if there is none)

• Restart the pc to bios, and downgrade the bios to the one that uses Agesa 1.2.0.3 (or the latest bios but not above 1.2.0.3, anything below AGESA 1.2.0.4, 1.2.0.5, 1.2.0.6). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver here, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (drivers, also the one on highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
my current bios right now is version 6024, what is agesa 1.2.0.3? is Agesa Asus drivers?
Nope, agesa is amd own is a procedure library developed by amd, used to perform the platform initialization. you could see the agesa version on the bios desc on the web itself, 6024 desc said it uses agesa 1.2.0.6b. Find the one that has AGESA 1.2.0.3, and downgrade to that version. I currently cant open the asus web page, my isp just went wack XD

also do the steps in order