[SOLVED] After-market RTX2080 not recognised by Alienware R6

Aug 27, 2019
Hello,

I have a problem where my brand new ASUS Strix RTX2080 (link) is not recognised by my Alienware Aurora R6, which I rehomed to a new non-Dell case to fit the card. It looks a bit like a challenge so you may enjoy it! I also opened a threat on Dell's forum over here. The two key symptoms are :

1. Dell does not seem to recognise after market GPU which leads to the BIOS shutting out, for lack of a better term, my RTX at boot. It seems to be the way non OEM are treated.
  2. Nvidia refuses to install the drivers on a fresh install as I am receiving the two following errors 1) none of these drivers are compatible with Windows and 2) there are no Nvidia graphic hardware on the system. (pic here View: https://i.imgur.com/O9PlZkX.jpg
    )

The above is further illustrated by the following:
  1. My monitor does not pick up signal from the RTX HDMI ports. I’m using the motherboard integrated graphics to use BIOS and Windows.
  2. The BIOS does not list the GPU anywhere, nor the integrated graphics for that matter.
  3. Windows Device Manager only lists the integrated graphics and not the GPU. Scanning for hardware change does not reveal my RTX. It’s not hidden either.

Now here are some more details about my setup:

Hardware
  1. Yes, it’s an Alienware computer but I moved it to a NZXT H500 case as I am really keen to fit that card, which didn’t fit in the vanilla case - the computer boots fine without the card.
  2. The GPU is on the PCI slot closest to the CPU.The GPU is firmly in place.
  3. The RTX ambient RGB LEDs are on when the computer is powered.
  4. Fans do not turn but they shouldn’t as long as the temperature is less than 55 degrees Celsius
  5. I have two 8 pins cable plugged to the two auxiliary power inputs of the RTX - I’m using a Corsair TX750M PSU - and two white LEDs are lit up above these
  6. I did not plug anything in the motherboard’s “GPU power” 8 pins socket on the motherboard, from which my previous Dell-supplied GeForce 1050 was powered

Software

1. I have windows 10 home edition, up to date as at 27 August 2019
  2. I removed all Nvidia drivers using DDU and tried to reinstall the latest ones from Asus. This failed due to the 'not compatible to your version of windows' and 'no compatible graphic hardware found' errors. (pic here View: https://i.imgur.com/O9PlZkX.jpg
    )
  3. I disabled the BIOS secure boot and enabled booting as UEFI with legacy OPROM as I thought the UEFI could be an issue as per previous posts on the Dell forum about the lack of support for non-OEM GPUs (pic here View: https://i.imgur.com/IhGnzWj.jpg
    )
  4. I updated my motherboard’s BIOS to the most recent version.

I would be eternally grateful if you could let me know what I failed to do to get the RTX to be recognised, or, alternatively, if I need to ditch the last bits of Dell hardware/software I have and go my own way.

Many thanks,

Kahss

Solution
I believe the 8pin plug on the motherboard is important but can't plug an ordinary pcie 6+2 plug into it. Need another 8pin eps cpu plug that fits but your psu has 1x 4+4 eps plug. Not sure if plugging the 4pin where it's meant to go on the white 4pin 12v plug and then an extender cable to connect the other half to the 8pin plug would work.

A second opinion is welcome on this of course. I believe the 8pin does more than just power a gpu and possibly the reason the pcie slot isn't recognising anything.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I believe the 8pin plug on the motherboard is important but can't plug an ordinary pcie 6+2 plug into it. Need another 8pin eps cpu plug that fits but your psu has 1x 4+4 eps plug. Not sure if plugging the 4pin where it's meant to go on the white 4pin 12v plug and then an extender cable to connect the other half to the 8pin plug would work.

A second opinion is welcome on this of course. I believe the 8pin does more than just power a gpu and possibly the reason the pcie slot isn't recognising anything.

Solution