[SOLVED] Airflow pc, What is the best fan position

Solution
That fan is essentially useless - no, seriously.
It'll do more harm than good. I vote that you remove it and keep it as a spare instead.

There's a hive beneath the psu shroud consisting of psu cables, HDD cage, and any storage drives themselves... the fan's not going to do much at all against that much air resistance.
Plus it's just going to get in the way of the 2 fans in the front; you don't really want a 'pass interception' of air there, do you?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That fan is essentially useless - no, seriously.
It'll do more harm than good. I vote that you remove it and keep it as a spare instead.

There's a hive beneath the psu shroud consisting of psu cables, HDD cage, and any storage drives themselves... the fan's not going to do much at all against that much air resistance.
Plus it's just going to get in the way of the 2 fans in the front; you don't really want a 'pass interception' of air there, do you?

Solution

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
I agree with @Phaaze88 on this one, it doesn't look like you get much benefit from a fan in that position, I wouldn't keep it, but if you do, the air should come into the case from outside or you are pulling fresh air from the two front fans straight back out of the case and reducing the effectivity of cooling

as a general rule, intake fans on one side of the case, preferably low down, and outtake fans on the opposite side as high up as possible

Mar 1, 2021
Thanks a lot, I honestly want to keep it for design, but I don't know if it affects the airflow positively or negatively
And one more thing, the video card is an Asus Strix with 3 fans that are fixed 12 cm above the fan, will it affect the hot air from the HDD?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks a lot, I honestly want to keep it for design, but I don't know if it affects the airflow positively or negatively
I'd say neither... perhaps a slight negative?
It's like taking a healthy track and field athlete and putting them in a wheelchair(that bottom fan): their legs(fans) move, so let them move.

And one more thing, the video card is an Asus Strix with 3 fans that are fixed 12 cm above the fan, will it affect the hot air from the HDD?
It'll help with overall ventilation by moving HDD heat away - or any device below the gpu, really.

This is why I think those gpu's with 0rpm modes are completely useless. The gpu's fans do more than just cool the gpu.

Reactions: LIMITA

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what do you mean by more?
Ok, so you know there are devices above and below the gpu.
By itself, 0rpm mode doesn't look that bad. But look at the bigger picture - a-la, whole system cooling, 0rpm completely removes the gpu from the equation.

Air that comes in though the front? Those fans can grab that.
They pull air in through the rear PCIe slots.
Air gets pushed out the sides of the card and back in the chassis - some will circulate back into the fans or make it's way up and out of the chassis.

Some air is still better than no air, even if it's a little warm. The gpu's fans aid in cooling devices below and above it.

Mar 1, 2021
Ok, so you know there are devices above and below the gpu.
By itself, 0rpm mode doesn't look that bad. But look at the bigger picture - a-la, whole system cooling, 0rpm completely removes the gpu from the equation.

Air that comes in though the front? Those fans can grab that.
They pull air in through the rear PCIe slots.
Air gets pushed out the sides of the card and back in the chassis - some will circulate back into the fans or make it's way up and out of the chassis.

Some air is still better than no air, even if it's a little warm. The gpu's fans aid in cooling devices below and above it.

ok, I understand where you knock, so you say it would be better to fan stay on all the time for an optimal temperature?
And if, for example, I turn on the fan under the video card to the maximum, but also the one on the video card, is there any possibility that the airflow will collide? Considering that they are only 12 cm distance