Aliens: CM One of the Worst Games of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I was really looking forward to Aliens: Colonial Marines. I watched the movie ALIENS last week to get psyched up. Yes, it is a messed up game. The A.I. NPC I was supposed to be following kept getting stuck on corners and then would mysteriously pop up once I randomly discovered where my destination was.

Yet despite all of it's flaws I still liked the bug hunt. It was dark and scary, the sound was perfect and the creepy atmosphere was pretty well done. I especially loved the motion detector. As the Aliens approach it beeps once to let you know you better turn it on.

I would not recommend that anyone buy it, but I enjoyed my brief trial.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Worst PC game of all time ? Half Life2. For setting so high benchmark that only a few games can pass.[/citation]
Your statement doesn't even begin to make sense. There are many games that have been scored the same or higher than Half Life 2. Hell, I can think of a dozen right now off the top of my head, some you've probably heard of before like Oblivion/Skyrim, Metro 2033, Starcraft II, Torchlight II, Halo (series), Far Cry (series), Crysis, and so on.. seriously I could go on you obviously have no idea

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I'm sure they will blame the poor sales on piracy. (may be hard to justify though sine hardly anyone is sharing it (the game is so bad that people don't even want it for free)

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]I'm sure they will blame the poor sales on piracy. (may be hard to justify though sine hardly anyone is sharing it (the game is so bad that people don't even want it for free)[/citation]

I'm pretty sure SEGA's going to blame the poor sales on Gearbox continually delaying this game for 6 years while focusing on making Borderlands 2 instead. And SEGA would be right to make that accusation, since that's what it seems actually happened.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Aliens: CM from all I've seen and read has decent multiplayer at least.

A real contender for worst game of all time would be Big Rigs: over the road racing

G

Here's what I don't understand. Avp 2 was fantastic. Why couldn't they just take the formula that Monolith refined over their two games and just improve on it???

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
So Sega and GearBox are to blame.

Sega kept interrupting GearBox for borderlands, and GearBox, being tired of the interuptions, had the game sub-contracted out, and..........................

***POOF***

Insta-poo....

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I really like Randy Pitchford. He's a charming and charismatic guy, one of the best video game design CEO's. But it seems he really screwed up by letting all of this go on in his studio. Why would you outsource the singleplayer, I could see outsourcing the multiplayer, but if your company is the main designer on the boxart, you should be making the singleplayer.

I just hope that Gearbox stops taking on other projects and concentrates on Borderlands, it's actually a good series and I'd hate to see their reputation tank from another Aliens or Duke Nukem Forever.

G

Great game, but certainly not in my top 20 and the demo and trailers we saw years ago were superior graphically to this. The game needs to be overhauled and redone. There is no excuse.

cewhidx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]casualcolors[/nom]It's not even close to the title of "one of the worst games of all time" on PC. It might compete for "most overhyped game of the generation" crown though.[/citation]

I disagree. Duke Nukem Forever wears that crown...

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]So Sega and GearBox are to blame.Sega kept interrupting GearBox for borderlands, and GearBox, being tired of the interuptions, had the game sub-contracted out, and..........................***POOF*** Insta-poo....[/citation]

That is literally not a description of what happened at all. SEGA gave them more than half a DECADE to finish this game. Jesus christ. This is solely Gearbox's fault.

alfaalex101

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Your statement doesn't even begin to make sense. There are many games that have been scored the same or higher than Half Life 2. Hell, I can think of a dozen right now off the top of my head, some you've probably heard of before like Oblivion/Skyrim, Metro 2033, Starcraft II, Torchlight II, Halo (series), Far Cry (series), Crysis, and so on.. seriously I could go on you obviously have no idea[/citation]

Half-Life 2 looked like it was from a CGI movie compared to games released the year earlier (Vice city, splinter cell, rainbow 6 raven, battlefield 1942, enter the matrix). The graphics, A.I., physics, animations, movie like story telling were unseen in the PC gaming industry until then. Many of my friends were blown away when they saw the level of detail on Gman's skin in the opening HL2 introduction. It was surreal being in the game with the AI interaction and physics. The engine alone was so versatile that it was used for Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Counterstrike Source and countless other mods.The same cannot be said about any of the other games you listed - no, not even Crysis which was really just a HD version of FarCry Instincts. Why you would even bring in Torchlight II (which was really just a well polished Diablo 3 clone with a few extras, let's not kid ourselves) baffles me and reduces your argument to zilch.

anham

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
All I got from this was that a RSS news feed from a TECH site has been used as a blog post for whining about how bad a game is. I get this game is really disappointing. Coincidentally, I just finished a review on it. I was still looking up reactions to this flop when the RSS feed poped up. But I don't expect this to be a news story on a tech site, particularly not handled in this way. I go to gaming sites for that, & I don't find this "news" enough for RSS. But the coincidence that I was looking for opinions on this at the time did happen to work out well for me. I'll admit that.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Nothing... nothing can beat Battlecruiser 2000's patch for a patch...

That's right, you downloaded the patch to play the broken game, but the patch was broken... so you then downloaded a patch for the patch.

acktionhank

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Aliens: CM from all I've seen and read has decent multiplayer at least.A real contender for worst game of all time would be Big Rigs: over the road racing[/citation]

Multiplayer is meh at best, and is still pretty glitchy, we got stuck on an elevator that refused to move until we all exited and got back in it 3 or 4 times.

I can't remember having as been as excited as i was for Aliens Colonial Marines in a very long time, and was really let down. I really liked the AvP game that came out in 2009-10 and while it wasn't the greatest game ever made it was extremely fun and had great multiplayer. I was looking for Colonial Marines to really polish up that AvP experience and be a groundbreaking game.

The part that really gets me though is that the game demo's they showed over a year ago look far better than what the actual release game though. While i understand that graphics are the least of this games problems the initial screens depicted a game with much more personality. It showed a game that had great set pieces, terrific atmosphere, and an overall a game that strived for a high quality experience. I feel like there was a lot that went into creating a illusion of a AAA game, which in my opinion as a customer and a gamer is rather an shady business practice.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
All these companies can point fingers at each other till they are blue in the face and sore in the butt. The fact remains that NONE of these companies publisher and producers included gave the IP half the care and love they should have given it. That is why the game sucked . THEY ARE ALL RESPONSABLE FOR THIS TURD.

and yes this game is FAR WORSE than DnF. DnF looks like the greatest game ever in comparision (though in my opinion DnF was an ok game in its own right) but this game is seriously FUBAR.

Just sad , because this IP and this idea REALLY deserved more attention and care. I hope fox never takes any other ideas to these companies ever again. Hell i hope fox takes their IP to some one else that re makes this game with real care and attention to it.

Just feeling like avoiding all games from these companies in the future since it's obvious they don't really care about making good games and are more concerned with blaming bad ones on others and pointing fingers like little bi---es.

Status
Not open for further replies.