[SOLVED] Alienware laptop problems booting into any OS

shaydeeplant

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
My friend sold me an Alienware laptop for pretty cheap because it Had a problem booting into windows. I'm decent with computer softwaretroubleshooting,so I Bought it thinking it would be a simple format, reallocate to two 500gb partitions then install windows on 1 (NTFS) and Linux on the other. Well it's not. So I got a bootable windows USB install drive, booted up and it comes back with blue screen saying system needs repair.. So I got my Kali live USB drive and it boots up into that. So I need to know what to format the partitions in to for me to have a bootable version of windows installed From the Kali live i run on. I assume i just format a partition to NTFS download windows from Microsoft.com unzip and copy to separate Portable SSD than the bootable Kali im live on, shutdown pullout kali USB,leave windows in. restart and hopefully it boots up into windows setup.exe???? Any help or missing steps anyone sees here would be really appreciated. thanks!

BTW- my end goal is to not have to lug these portable Ssds around just too boot up into an OS that has persistent memory and don't have to apt-get update/upgrade everytime..

sheaa

Solution
A new install from a valid Win 10 USB does not need the drive in the system to be formatted in any particular way.
The install does all that.

Your Win 10 USB may be faulty.
Create a new one.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And then.,..

USAFRet

Titan
A new install from a valid Win 10 USB does not need the drive in the system to be formatted in any particular way.
The install does all that.

Your Win 10 USB may be faulty.
Create a new one.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And then.,..

Solution

shaydeeplant

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
good point but I wasnt sure that even the windows install would recognize anything other than Microsoft partition types. if so then thats great. I was trying to leave the partition unallocated. So how to install from the Live kali would be just download it to the desired partition. and then boot from that same partition?

USAFRet

Titan
good point but I wasnt sure that even the windows install would recognize anything other than Microsoft partition types. if so then thats great. I was trying to leave the partition unallocated. So how to install from the Live kali would be just download it to the desired partition. and then boot from that same partition?
Which do you want, Windows or Kali.
And if kali....WHY?