[SOLVED] All of my USB ports stopped working

Mar 2, 2020
Hi, long time listener, first time caller.

All of the USB ports on my computer recently stopped working, it will still boot but the keyboard/mouse/modem won't work. It happened in the middle of a session, my son rebooted and hoped that would fix it but no luck.

Nothing connected to any of the USB ports works, either from the motherboard or the front of the case. I was able to plug in a PS2 keyboard but still can't open the bios to actually see if the USB drivers are working because I need a mouse and I don't have a PS2 mouse connection. I reset the CMOS ( via the button on back of motherboard) and still no luck.

Is there any way to check the bios or the drivers without a mouse? Since it's ALL of the USB ports, how likely is it that I just need a new motherboard? Any help is appreciated, my son's and my gaming lives are on hold!

Thanks,
EVK4

Specs:
---------------
CPU: Intel I7-8700K
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming M5
Ram: Patriot 16GB (2x8gb) DDR
SSD/HDD: WD Blue 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB
GPU: MSI RTX 2070
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 80+ 600W
Chassis: CyberpowerPC

Solution
Check every USB port to see if any of them are damaged. If any of the pins are mashed, touching each other, or grounding out on the USB port housing the motherboard may be disabling all USB ports to protect itself. Some motherboards will continue to work when this happens, other will give a BIOS power failure warning and refuse to boot.
If you have a mashed USB port unplug the system power and physically straighten out the pins so that they aren't touching each other or the casing and see if the OTHER USB ports start working. If they do you are all good - you just can never use the mashed port again. If the messed up port is on your computer case, you may be able to get a replacement one.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the PSU? Computer mainly used for gaming - correct?

If the current USB peripherals are proven to work on other known working computers then I would first suspect a loose power connection within the computer.

Are you able to unplug the computer, open the case, and check that all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly seated? Clean out dust and debris, clear airflow paths, etc..

If no problems are found, the next/second suspect is the PSU.

Mar 2, 2020
The PSU is the original and is about 2.5 years old; we updated the motherboard, CPU, Graphics card, RAM et al a year ago without updating the PSU. It is 100% used for gaming.

I just checked the peripherals with another computer and they work. I then cleaned all of the dust out, checked the connections and all of it seems good.

I have a feeling you're right based on the age of the PSU and the fact that we upgraded the heck out of the computer from the original and I'm sure it's sucking more power.

I really appreciate the help and will update the thread if the PSU fixes it.

How old is the PSU? Computer mainly used for gaming - correct?

If the current USB peripherals are proven to work on other known working computers then I would first suspect a loose power connection within the computer.

Are you able to unplug the computer, open the case, and check that all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly seated? Clean out dust and debris, clear airflow paths, etc..

If no problems are found, the next/second suspect is the PSU.

Mar 2, 2020
I put in a new PSU (750w instead of the old 600w), plugged everything back in and we're still not getting power to the USB ports. To recap, I have reset the BIOS with the CMOS reset button, cleaned the ports, checked all the connections, and put in a new PSU.

Is the next possibility the motherboard itself? Or something less expensive and easier to change?!?

I really appreciate the help!

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or have a knowledgeable family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test per se as the PSU is not under load.

However an out of spec voltage reading may reveal some PSU problem(s).

Ralston18

Titan
No start up beep codes, no diagnostic LED's?

Still booting : are you able to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events.

For example - any such entries that relate to USB devices.

Inspect all around the USB ports - look for some signs of a short.

Try stripping down the system to as basic a hardware configuration as possible

Does the following link show your motherboard?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Z370-GAMING-Motherboard-Refurbished/dp/B07F2J4SZ6

Try booting without the GPU, use the onboard port.

If you only have USB keyboards and mice, try USB to PS2 adapter.

Then use a known working keyboard and F2, F10, etc. as applicable to get into BIOS. Hopefully the directional keys will function and allow navigation within BIOS.

Check every USB port to see if any of them are damaged. If any of the pins are mashed, touching each other, or grounding out on the USB port housing the motherboard may be disabling all USB ports to protect itself. Some motherboards will continue to work when this happens, other will give a BIOS power failure warning and refuse to boot.
If you have a mashed USB port unplug the system power and physically straighten out the pins so that they aren't touching each other or the casing and see if the OTHER USB ports start working. If they do you are all good - you just can never use the mashed port again. If the messed up port is on your computer case, you may be able to get a replacement one.

Solution
Mar 2, 2020
After going through every single option posted on here, I finally bought a new motherboard and, BOOM, it works. I had dug as deep into the bios as I could without having a mouse, inspected everything I could but found nothing. Having no way to update the bios (which is what I concluded it must be), I figured a new motherboard comes with bios and it worked.