Question All of sudden my new i5 9600k is stuttering in games a lot

Sbsdsurendra

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
I don't know what's happening but when i was playing devil may cry 5 after 2-3 minutes it started stuttering and also the game got got frozen, it was running fine on my old CPU never really had this kinda problem, i could also hear noise in my CPU fan, then i again ran my game with MSI afterburner overlay and i saw CPU cores suddenly were at 100% and game froze again, then i opened my cpuz and saw the core speed fluctuating up to 4500mhz even on idle, i remember seeing it was at it's base speed but now is being boosted all the time, even task manager doesn't show any cpu usage, i need help here and i am not doing any overclocking.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/hY90d3j

My Config.
I5 9600k
Galax GTX 1660
Gigabyte Z390 M (rev. 1.0)
Corsair vengeance 2x8gb ram DDR4 3000mhz
Corsair VS 650w 80PLUS

Nov 18, 2019
Had the same issue. COD:MW running at 15fps. My problem is related to windows insider preview build update. Done a rollback and disabled the windows insider program and everything went back to normal in a jiffy.

Sbsdsurendra

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
You did a full reinstall of Windows and all necessary drivers, correct?

sorry for the late reply, i did everything, even updated the bios also, after doing all these i was playing star wars jedi fallen orders before playing that the temp was 33c, then i did some encoding it went to 80c, alright then temp never went down to below 40c now it's always 50c even on idle, it was 33c when i didn't do any load things, now i see temp is 50c in bios always.

View: https://imgur.com/h71ghYB

The Hyper 410R is a relative small cooler for that CPU, is not horrible, but you could really use an upgrade if your case allows it.

Since you had MSI afterburner runing, Did you saw the CPU temp before it froze ?

A 6 cores CPU pegged at 100% utilization this days is not surprising, but it could be due to secondary apps runing in the background (like other monitoring tools, RGB programs, etc, etc.)

I would really check the CPU temp while runing a game using msi afterburner (or hwinfo 64 bits portable - Sensors Only option). Also if your CPU is always above its base frecuency 3.7GHz (even at idle) check if MCE is enable in BIOS and turn it OFF !!!

Remember when using a monitoring software, only keep one open at the time to avoid conflict between them. If mroe thna one is open it can cause extra stress on your system and also errors in value readings.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and vMax
RodroX makes some good points and it is worth checking Task Manager to see what apps are using CPU cycles...Also it is worth reinstalling your Hyper 410r as the temps at idle are way too high...I would also load optimised defaults in the BIOS and of course engage XMP and see whether that gives you a better baseline.