Question Am I bottlenecking my gpu? I don't know much about computers, but I would like to know if I am bottlenecking my gpu. My computer has a Intel core

Dec 9, 2019
Am I bottlenecking my gpu? I don't know much about computers, but I would like to know if I am bottlenecking my gpu. My computer has a Intel core i5-4960 CPU with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb. Should I upgrade my cpu?

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
dont think you are, but use one of those charts in games.. even if you see cpu at 100% and gpu over 90% then its really not bottle necking which needs to be fixed. you only need to fix it when one component is at 100% and other at 50-80%.
and use multiple games in your test.

So, I run an i5 4590 in my system with an RX 470, and I can tell you that I have a little headroom left for a GPU upgrade. An i5 4690 should have no problem running a GTX 1060 6GB. I can also run literally any game that I want at reasonable settings without issue and at 45 to 60 fps.

Unless you are trying to drive a 1440p monitor or go for high refresh rate gaming (144hz or 240hz), there is no reason currently to upgrade, and even if you upgraded your CPU your games won't run much faster because you're already getting the most out of your GTX 1060 with your current config.

For you an upgrade should come as a full system, or if you want to do it in stages get the CPU upgrade first, but don't expect a boost in game performance, then GPU when you can afford it, and with a GPU upgrade you should see an improvement.

For now, if you are happy, leave it and start saving up.

It all depends on the game and the resolution you are running. Assuming 1080p a 1060 6gb can achieve 60fps in all games as long as you carefully select game settings. A 4960 will struggle in some very cpu heavy games to stay above 60 FPS and will see dips into the 30’s.