[SOLVED] Am I bottlenecking or is something going wrong?

Aug 6, 2021
Specs:
GTX 3060ti
I7 8700k 4.7
16GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
Windows 11
Game in referring too: Dying light 2

so currently playing DL2, using MSI afterburners overlay. When playing at 1080p high settings with DX11, my usage is between 60-80% and my CPU 40-70%. At 1440p my usage is between 80-90 and CPU around the same. (To note if I use DX12 it’s 100% most of the time) I just don’t get why 1080p goes down to 60% sometimes that’s nearly half my performance not being utilised. My Fps for the most part is totally fine but sometimes when running about the frame time has a fair few little spikes in them (only tiny ones) but a good amount of them. I am using DSR to upscale to 1440p as my monitor is only 1080p. I also monitor my .1% and 1% lows and they always seem to be really low and the number just doesn’t change like it isn’t updating . Am I being crazy and it’s normal or is something not right?

Last edited:
Solution
I play Red Dead Redemption 2 also and my usage in that at 1080p is usually about 80% but when I go into towns it can drop down to same usage as CPU. Also on red dead my CPU depending on where I am can go a little bit over. I kinda solved that issue by running 1440p that leveled it out a fair bit.

What's annoying is I get the fps I want but It's bugging me because I think there's an issue somewhere. I did compare my fps to a youtube video (zWORMZ Gaming) he has same GPU but a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and 3200mhz of ram. He did get a few more frames than me and his seems more stable as his 1% low was usually 90fps as mine goes to 31 and just stays there.

This reply might look confusing as one of my replies are in the box at the top I do...
Aug 6, 2021
Can you please provide your PSU and also your Motherboard model?

I have a MPG Z390 Gaming Plus and 750w corsair PSU about 4 yrs old and it does make some strange noises like a clicking noise sometimes buzzing.

The problem persists in other games?

I play Red Dead Redemption 2 also and my usage in that at 1080p is usually about 80% but when I go into towns it can drop down to same usage as CPU. Also on red dead my CPU depending on where I am can go a little bit over. I kinda solved that issue by running 1440p that leveled it out a fair bit.

What's annoying is I get the fps I want but It's bugging me because I think there's an issue somewhere. I did compare my fps to a youtube video (zWORMZ Gaming) he has same GPU but a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and 3200mhz of ram. He did get a few more frames than me and his seems more stable as his 1% low was usually 90fps as mine goes to 31 and just stays there.

This reply might look confusing as one of my replies are in the box at the top I do apologies I'm new to tomshardware lol. Ive posted about this before and alot of people said "it's a bottleneck at certain points". Then others say "your GPU doesn't need to use 100% that's why it's low as 3060ti is a 1440p card".

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022

This reply might look confusing as one of my replies are in the box at the top I do apologies I'm new to tomshardware lol. Ive posted about this before and alot of people said "it's a bottleneck at certain points". Then others say "your GPU doesn't need to use 100% that's why it's low as 3060ti is a 1440p card".
No need to be sorry, it's totally fine, I get what you're trying to say. Regarding your power supply, the buzzing noise I believe is coil whine, I have it as well and I also have a corsair psu, it depends, it might be louder or quiter, and again it depends from system to system.

And now regarding your other components, are you running the latest bios version of your motherboard?

You can try to run a benchmark first, run unieninge Valley benchmark for about 15 minutes, and see what results you get.

And can you please specify your gpu bios as well?
You can find it by downloading gpu-z.

Aug 6, 2021
No need to be sorry, it's totally fine, I get what you're trying to say. Regarding your power supply, the buzzing noise I believe is coil whine, I have it as well and I also have a corsair psu, it depends, it might be louder or quiter, and again it depends from system to system.

And now regarding your other components, are you running the latest bios version of your motherboard?

You can try to run a benchmark first, run unieninge Valley benchmark for about 15 minutes, and see what results you get.

And can you please specify your gpu bios as well?
You can find it by downloading gpu-z.

I've got the latest BIOS version I just got this motherboard recently, updated MOBO then wiped so IDK if It needs updating again or will automatically. Will have to check somehow. Is that the Heaven Benchmark or is it different? When I run heaven my GPU is always at 99% until one part where it goes into the 80s. I'm taking a wild guess that GPU BIOS is the driver version if so It's up to date but I do think I'm wrong lol. Unfortunately I'm at work atm so will have to check this stuff once I'm home. I got GPU-Z installed also. i'm just in two mind sets. Am I thinking too into it. or should I be getting more usage. It's the same with the 1% lows I don't understand why its so low and rather stays the same or just doesn't update. Always at 31 FPS but my actual game 1440p high settings, fog on low I get 90-120 FPS. Btw thank you so much for the help!

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I've got the latest BIOS version I just got this motherboard recently, updated MOBO then wiped so IDK if It needs updating again or will automatically. Will have to check somehow. Is that the Heaven Benchmark or is it different? When I run heaven my GPU is always at 99% until one part where it goes into the 80s. I'm taking a wild guess that GPU BIOS is the driver version if so It's up to date but I do think I'm wrong lol. Unfortunately I'm at work atm so will have to check this stuff once I'm home. I got GPU-Z installed also. i'm just in two mind sets. Am I thinking too into it. or should I be getting more usage. It's the same with the 1% lows I don't understand why its so low and rather stays the same or just doesn't update. Always at 31 FPS but my actual game 1440p high settings, fog on low I get 90-120 FPS. Btw thank you so much for the help!
Head to your GPU Manufacturer website, and there should a support section where you could find all versions of gpu bios. It does not matter which benchmark are you using, as long as is an intensive benchmark. Gpu bios is not the same with the driver version. The gpu should not be maxed out always, but it depends on the game, for example if you play a game from 10 years ago, your gpu won't me maxed out. For example, I play Dishonored at the moment, my Gtx 970 is not even close to be maxing out, so it also depends.
Try and update your motherboard bios again, if you are running the latest bios, the setup will be very fast, if not, it will take a few minutes.

Aug 6, 2021
Head to your GPU Manufacturer website, and there should a support section where you could find all versions of gpu bios. It does not matter which benchmark are you using, as long as is an intensive benchmark. Gpu bios is not the same with the driver version. The gpu should not be maxed out always, but it depends on the game, for example if you play a game from 10 years ago, your gpu won't me maxed out. For example, I play Dishonored at the moment, my Gtx 970 is not even close to be maxing out, so it also depends.
Try and update your motherboard bios again, if you are running the latest bios, the setup will be very fast, if not, it will take a few minutes.

I've never updated my GPU BIOS never knew it was a thing! I usually use Heaven and its stable on there but Valley is abit newer so going to give that a try and will post results. How can i check if my MOBO is up-to-date? When I play a game like Rocket League I run that max setting 1080p and I get between 250-500 FPS with about 60-70% usage which makes sense as it's not demanding. But Dying Light 2 other youtubers don't get 100% with a 3060ti unless running DX12 which is the same for me. However when they're at 1080p their usage is still in the 80s as mines goes down to 60s sometimes, just depending on where I am. I finish work at 5pm so if it's okay with you when I get back I'll send SS of GPU-Z and my scores of Valley then I'll see if my MOBO is up-to-date. (It says I can check using command prompt)

Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. This can be useful at highlighting any underperformance.

My understanding is DX12 is better for utilising more cpu threads so would expect to see higher usage. However you can still be limited by a single core getting close to 100% usage.

Reactions: RodroX

The R9 5900X performs about the same as the i9 10900/11900K most times better depending on the game. And those are way newer CPUs than your current i7 8700K, which is by no means a bad/slow CPU at all! So really comparing result with a Core i7 8700K and R9 5900X does not make a lot of sense.

Now before I write anything else, I wana know whats your current GPU, brand and model, same as PSU and motherboard and case.

Did you used DDU before installign this new GPU drivers?,
Did you got the latest drivers from nvidia?,
Are you using a brand new clean install of Windows 11, or did you just stick with the horrible "update" from Widnows 10?
Are you using the highest graphic settings when runnign DL2 at 1080p ?
And also, why are you using DX11 if DX 12 is available in the game?

Solution
Aug 6, 2021
The R9 5900X performs about the same as the i9 10900/11900K most times better depending on the game. And those are way newer CPUs than your current i7 8700K, which is by no means a bad/slow CPU at all! So really comparing result with a Core i7 8700K and R9 5900X does not make a lot of sense.

Now before I write anything else, I wana know whats your current GPU, brand and model, same as PSU and motherboard and case.

Did you used DDU before installign this new GPU drivers?,
Did you got the latest drivers from nvidia?,
Are you using a brand new clean install of Windows 11, or did you just stick with the horrible "update" from Widnows 10?
Are you using the highest graphic settings when runnign DL2 at 1080p ?
And also, why are you using DX11 if DX 12 is available in the game?

Yeah tbf I should compare my PC to someone who has same specs. Just no Dying light 2 vids with my set up unfortunatel. It's a 3060ti Founders Edition, not 100% on PSU but will update, I know its a 750w Corsair one. Mother board is the Z390 Gaming Plus MSI. Not sure on the case however my temps are 60 degrees max most of the time.
  1. I didn't use DDU as I reinstalled Windows recently and have only done a few nvidia updates or should I use DDU every single time?
  2. I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA
  3. I did update to windows 11 then done a clean install after about a week of using it and it automatically installed windows 11 again so I would assume I have the proper version now, I didn't have to pay for anything thought. I really hope I don't need to install it again lol.
4.I'm not using the highest as that makes your frames go really bad as its Ray Tracing.
5. DX12 on that game is really buggy I get alot of stutters. It runs 100% usage at all times but the stutters can get very annoying.

If I run a benchmark and I get a decent score comparing it to others and my usage is always at 100% while running the bench mark does that mean my PC is working fine?

Aug 6, 2021
Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. This can be useful at highlighting any underperformance.

My understanding is DX12 is better for utilising more cpu threads so would expect to see higher usage. However you can still be limited by a single core getting close to 100% usage.
I'll give it a run howevr last time I did it it said "no GPU detected" which worried me. I do need to check how all my single cores run individually as one could be at 100% and I just aint seeing it. DX12 is just bad on Dying Light 2, makes my usage 100% and great FPS just jittery at times

Yeah tbf I should compare my PC to someone who has same specs. Just no Dying light 2 vids with my set up unfortunatel. It's a 3060ti Founders Edition, not 100% on PSU but will update, I know its a 750w Corsair one. Mother board is the Z390 Gaming Plus MSI. Not sure on the case however my temps are 60 degrees max most of the time.
  1. I didn't use DDU as I reinstalled Windows recently and have only done a few nvidia updates or should I use DDU every single time?
  2. I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA
  3. I did update to windows 11 then done a clean install after about a week of using it and it automatically installed windows 11 again so I would assume I have the proper version now, I didn't have to pay for anything thought. I really hope I don't need to install it again lol.
4.I'm not using the highest as that makes your frames go really bad as its Ray Tracing.
5. DX12 on that game is really buggy I get alot of stutters. It runs 100% usage at all times but the stutters can get very annoying.

If I run a benchmark and I get a decent score comparing it to others and my usage is always at 100% while running the bench mark does that mean my PC is working fine?

Thank you for answering the questions. DL2 is really a very new game (less than a week?), and it will have bugs and other issues including performance ones that will need updates and patches to fix. Perhaps is not the best game to measure your GPU/CPU performance for now.
Also since RDR2 seems to be working fine I would not worry too much yet.
A game I like to use to test gaming PC is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, not only because it works really great (and I won all the game and DLCs lol) but also because it can really push the CPUs.
I would really try what sizzling wrote and run userbenchmark, posting the full result link here.

Last edited:

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I've never updated my GPU BIOS never knew it was a thing! I usually use Heaven and its stable on there but Valley is abit newer so going to give that a try and will post results. How can i check if my MOBO is up-to-date? When I play a game like Rocket League I run that max setting 1080p and I get between 250-500 FPS with about 60-70% usage which makes sense as it's not demanding. But Dying Light 2 other youtubers don't get 100% with a 3060ti unless running DX12 which is the same for me. However when they're at 1080p their usage is still in the 80s as mines goes down to 60s sometimes, just depending on where I am. I finish work at 5pm so if it's okay with you when I get back I'll send SS of GPU-Z and my scores of Valley then I'll see if my MOBO is up-to-date. (It says I can check using command prompt)
It's pretty simple to update the gpu bios, is just a quick setup, just to make some things clear, you won't flash a custom bios, but a certified one. To check your motherboard current bios just go to Run > RAGEDIT > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE > HARDWARE > DESCRIPTION > System > BIOS > BIOSVersion (right side)

It's ok for me, I am always free. :)

Reactions: Why_Me
Aug 6, 2021
Thank you for answering the questions. DL2 is really a very new game (less than a week?), and it will have bugs and other issues including performance ones that will need updates and patches to fix. Perhaps is not the best game to measure your GPU/CPU performance for now.
Also since RDR2 seems to be working fine I would not worry too much yet.
A game I like to use to test gaming PC is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, not only because it works really great (and I won all the game and DLCs lol) but also because it can really push the CPUs.
I would really try what sizzling wrote and run userbenchmark, posting the full result link here.
Will run Userbench mark as soon as I'm home just last time I done it it said 'No GPU detected'. And yeah everyone says shadow of tomb raider benchmark is really good so I'm going to have to give that a go!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021
It's pretty simple to update the gpu bios, is just a quick setup, just to make some things clear, you won't flash a custom bios, but a certified one. To check your motherboard current bios just go to Run > RAGEDIT > HK_LOCAL_MACHINE > HARDWARE > DESCRIPTION > System > BIOS > BIOSVersion (right side)

I got a screenshot of GPUZ but not too sure how to post a picture. My driver version is 94.04.3A.40.A7 on bus interface the left side says PCIE x16 4.0 and right side the same thing but 3.0 I’m guessing that’s my PCIE slots would the 4.0 be my first slot? So looked on MSI site at my mobo and it looks like it's gen 3 not gen 4 but I don't know if that affects performance much

Last edited:
Since your performance is good or at least acceptable, do not worry.

It would not be a good thing to see either cpu not gpu utilization at 100%

If any resource is running at 100%, it can not respond to a temporary increase in demand, and a delay will result.
For games, your performance will be limited either by cpu or gpu. Rarely by lack of processing threads.
As a game progresses, cpu or gpu will be the limiting factor and it will switch back and forth.

Aug 6, 2021
Since your performance is good or at least acceptable, do not worry.

It would not be a good thing to see either cpu not gpu utilization at 100%

If any resource is running at 100%, it can not respond to a temporary increase in demand, and a delay will result.
For games, your performance will be limited either by cpu or gpu. Rarely by lack of processing threads.
As a game progresses, cpu or gpu will be the limiting factor and it will switch back and forth.
Thank you for the help btw. I'm now pretty certain my GPU is running fine as when i run DX12 is used 100% of it it's DX11 where it used 80-90% which when watching other people benchmark the game it's the same. I was comparing to zWORMz however he has a much better CPU more RAM and my MOBO is gen 3 PCie not gen 4 apparently. It's when my settings are turned down the usage seems to drop. (Depending on the setting) but as said performance is still really good I use MSI overlay and monitor most things. I'm gonna put all my CPU usages on to see if any of them are hitting 100% then would kinda know what the issue is. Going to run Valley and User benchmark when I'm home but in my previous comments I mention User benchmark doesn't detect my GPU however the last time I ran it was a while ago before I wiped my PC. Windows 11 wouldn't be affecting my performance would it? because a lot of people are sticking with Windows 10 and say 11 is crappy. Personally I think I've thought too into it, like you said if the perfomance is fine then there shouldn't be an issue. The guy I compared too only gets a few more frames unless he runs 1080p his usage stays high as mine going into 60/70%. (Sorry for long post)

Specs:
GTX 3060ti
I7 8700k 4.7
16GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
Windows 11
Game in referring too: Dying light 2

so currently playing DL2, using MSI afterburners overlay. When playing at 1080p high settings with DX11, my usage is between 60-80% and my CPU 40-70%. At 1440p my usage is between 80-90 and CPU around the same. (To note if I use DX12 it’s 100% most of the time) I just don’t get why 1080p goes down to 60% sometimes that’s nearly half my performance not being utilised. My Fps for the most part is totally fine but sometimes when running about the frame time has a fair few little spikes in them (only tiny ones) but a good amount of them. I am using DSR to upscale to 1440p as my monitor is only 1080p. I also monitor my .1% and 1% lows and they always seem to be really low and the number just doesn’t change like it isn’t updating . Am I being crazy and it’s normal or is something not right?
Sounds like CPU bottleneck, what refresh rate are you running at?

144 and would the I7 bottlneck a 3060ti? I thought a bottleneck is if the CPU or GPU is slammed at 100%
I would say the 8700K is still a very capable gaming CPU but yes it can still bottleneck a 3060 Ti at 144hz, it would however depend on the game. You will always have a bottleneck of some description, for you to be GPU bound the GPU would need to be at 100%. However it is not the case that the CPU needs to be at 100% to have a CPU bottleneck because games don't thread perfectly in the same way something like Cinebench would.

Normally DirectX12 is better, when you were using it you didn't have ray tracing enabled by any chance? DSR might be the cause of your problem though, if you run at 1080p native do your frame time spikes go away? I know you've been monitoring things, but are you actually noticing any unsatisfactory performance during game play such as stuttering?

Reactions: Why_Me
Aug 6, 2021
I would say the 8700K is still a very capable gaming CPU but yes it can still bottleneck a 3060 Ti at 144hz, it would however depend on the game. You will always have a bottleneck of some description, for you to be GPU bound the GPU would need to be at 100%. However it is not the case that the CPU needs to be at 100% to have a CPU bottleneck because games don't thread perfectly in the same way something like Cinebench would.

Normally DirectX12 is better, when you were using it you didn't have ray tracing enabled by any chance? DSR might be the cause of your problem though, if you run at 1080p native do your frame time spikes go away? I know you've been monitoring things, but are you actually noticing any unsatisfactory performance during game play such as stuttering?
When I first load up and look around I get a fair few. Then it stops and if I load a new part a little one will happen. I didn't have RT enabled when playing. I do use Freesync with a NVIDIA gpu so IDK if that's the case. I'll run 1080p see if its actually smoother and update you I just ran a userbenchmark test here a my results. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50581244

Aug 6, 2021

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50581244 theres my results

First of all, free up at least 24GB (total) of space on the Kinston A400, that disk is way too full for an SSD.

SSD needs to have at least 10% of the total space free, in fact I would make it 30GB of free space.

This may or not improve your gaming, but nevertless is a must for all current SSD, no matter what type is.

Check your game again after this, and re-run userbenchmark.

Reactions: Vic 40