Question AMD: Black Screen Crash & DRAM light when playing games

Oct 27, 2024
I built a PC in September and when playing games I have been getting inconsistent random black screen crashes with a DRAM light on the mother board.

After building it I have had no issues when testing with Prime95 and FurMark 2 concurrently. Mundane tasks like watching TV have no issues.

When playing Black Myth Wukong after the initial build it would crash randomly but there were no issues playing COD. I double checked my driver updates and then updated my BIOS. That did not fix the issue. I opened the case, reseated the CPU and cooler, removed and reseated the RAM as well as the graphics card. The computer continues crashes to a black screen with the DRAM light. The PC Lights and case fans stay on and after about 15 seconds I can hear the windows boot sound, but the screen remains black. The crashes used to be more frequent, but I adjusted the RAM speed to 5200 mt/s and turned off EXPO based on AMD CPU & RAMM recommendations, because EXPO is overclocking and can cause instability. I was able to play Black Myth and a few other games in my library like Dead Cells and Kingdom Come. Once I got my old computer set up for my wife, we started playing It Takes Two and I started experiencing crashes again! I thought it would be tied to heavy workload games, but it is still inconsistent. Now that the new COD is out, I cannot get through one match before it crashes. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, and the report came black clean. After searching the forums, this seems to be a common issue with MSI motherboards but no one has a consistent answer. My next step will be to reset the BIOS to factory settings, test and if it still fails I will run with a single stick of RAM and see where that gets me. This is a frustrating as ii just want to be able to consistently play games with my friends.

I have searched the forums and found answers but have had no luck:
Drivers/BIOS - Updated a few times over the two months

EXPO/XMP Memory profiles - disabled

CPU voltages (auto vs manual) - I adjusted

Undersized PSU – I have a 1000w PSU, shouldn’t be a factor. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...dram-error-light-on-what-should-i-do.3707429/

AMD Audio Driver - I switched to HD Audio driver, and it had no effect. https://reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/iehbf9/amd_games_black_screen_fix/

AMD adaptive Sync (free sync) – off

Capacitor overheating / AOI touching capacitor – Corsair AOI not touching and I checked all capacitors. www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXbQ_kyebw&ab_channel=Zach%27sTechTurf

Some additional info:
I am using a triple monitor set up now, but I was still crashing on a single monitor and dual. I have two monitors on display port and a TV on HDMI plugged into the integrated graphics slot.

The two sticks of RAM are in the correct slots per the MSI manual.

HWInfo does not show any weird thermals or voltages.

I have no popup or error messages that lead me to believe that it is a specific issue.

Specs Below:
AMD Ryzen 5 7600x
AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Gigabyte
MSI MAG B650 Mortar WIFI
Corsair VENGEANCE 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30 - CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30
Corsair r1000e PSU
Crucial P3 Plus 4TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Ralston18

Titan
Did you use only the cables that came with the installed PSU?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Have you checked that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place?

I would also look for possible shorts via stand-offs and around the I/O panel and other ports.

Are there any error codes, warnings, or even informational events being captured by Reliability History/Monitor and/or Event Viewer?

Oct 27, 2024
Did you use only the cables that came with the installed PSU?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Have you checked that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place?

I would also look for possible shorts via stand-offs and around the I/O panel and other ports.

Are there any error codes, warnings, or even informational events being captured by Reliability History/Monitor and/or Event Viewer?
Thank you for the Quick Reply Ralston18. I just updated the BIOS, reset the BIOS settings* and played COD until it crashed.

All cords are manufacture provided.

2 m.2 SSDs

Crucial P3 Plus 4TB 50% Full
Crucial T500 2TB 10% Full

I have checked all off the connections, I will revisit them again if it continues to persist. I have not removed the motherboard to check for shorts, but i will inspect later.

The Reliability Monitor says "Windows was not shut down properly" across the 7 crashes today. Additionally I am getting fails with Razer "Game Manager Services.exe". I have disabled it and have yet to retry.

Event Viewer in the last hour has 1 Critical event, 19 errors and 45 warnings in the last hour.
C. Event 41 Kernel-Power - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
E. Kernel-EventTracing - Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001
E. Application Error - Faulting application name: GameManagerService3.exe, version: 3.5.0.370, time stamp: 0x622f7973
E. Service Control Manager - The AMDRyzenMasterDriverV27 service failed to start due to the following error: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
W.DistributedCOM - DCOM got error "1115" attempting to start the service SecurityHealthService with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server: {470B9B9B-0E95-4963-B265-5D58E5808C3D}
W. LSA (LsaSrv) - LSA package is not signed as expected. This can cause unexpected behavior with Credential Guard. PackageName: msv1_0

I would post screenshots if i knew how too.

Ralston18

Titan
Screenshots can be posted here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Look for Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer entries that precede the "Windows was not shut down properly" entries.

An unexpected shutdown can and does corrupt files. Then that corruption causes even more problems.

Run "dism" and "sfc /scannow" to find and fix any corrupted files.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Also look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

Oct 27, 2024
Screenshots can be posted here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Look for Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer entries that precede the "Windows was not shut down properly" entries.

An unexpected shutdown can and does corrupt files. Then that corruption causes even more problems.

Run "dism" and "sfc /scannow" to find and fix any corrupted files.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Also look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.
SFC came back clean. I have ran it a few times

I'll read the article and figure out how to run DISM properly