Question AMD build 6900 XT stuttering and screen tearing help?

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
i switched everything from intel to amd and since than on my 6900 XT i been getting nothin but sutters and screen tearing i tried changing things up in the amd settings to trying different drivers than ended up reverting back to the latest driver i even tested out my RTX 2080 TI on this mobo and everythng works fine? wish i had a freesync monitor to test this even with g sync on while testing my 2080 TI was running smooth on and off but still with 6900 XT vsync off or on it doesnt matter stutter screen tearing still happens build list is below also ill try posing a screenshot as the cpu usage dont look right to me? also i hear disabling CPPC can help? but i cant seem to find it in bios
h5mkta57203a1.png

GPU: Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming OC 16GB
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
MOBO: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
MEMORY: 32gb vengeance LPX 3000MHz
STORAGE: SSD's x3 / nvme's x2
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Been looking around a bit, seems 6900xt can throttle and cause stutters. I've seen a couple of times mentioned to install only driver, disregarding Adrenaline.

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming-discussions/the-stutter-is-real-on-the-6900xt/m-p/528138

As suggested there install only driver. First run ddu in safe mode and remove gpu related driver/software. If performance improves without Adrenaline installed then i guess it's a starting point for more vigorous investigation as to why and what setting in Adrenaline may be causing it, or it could be Adrenaline app itself.

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Been looking around a bit, seems 6900xt can throttle and cause stutters. I've seen a couple of times mentioned to install only driver, disregarding Adrenaline.

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming-discussions/the-stutter-is-real-on-the-6900xt/m-p/528138

As suggested there install only driver. First run ddu in safe mode and remove gpu related driver/software. If performance improves without Adrenaline installed then i guess it's a starting point for more vigorous investigation as to why and what setting in Adrenaline may be causing it, or it could be Adrenaline app itself.
huh i see thanks also i think i need to update DDU i attempted many uninstalls for previous nvidia drivers i was using for rtx 2080 ti and radeon also about CPPC can that option be found on my mobo? i heard it fixed someones problem and if i could i wanted to give it a try i tried lookin for it and idk if im just not seeing it in bios? i got the OC version of the card i wouldnt expect it to throttle this hard i tried setting it to atleast 1800Mz with still the same issue but ill be giving the method you mentioned a try thanks

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Not sure of that setting sorry.

Throttling may have been the wrong term used but something conflicting power states or preventing full use of the card. Good luck trying only driver.
ugghh installing only the driver didnt help i even overclocked my ram 3600 no go 2080 ti had no issues running 6900 xt is a stronger card yeah somthing in the bios maybe or im just beginning to think 850W isnt enough? idk

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt psu. That's a good unit and yes the card can spike power but so does 3080ti and that runs fine on my Corsair rmx 850w with 11700k no oc. If psu wasn't up to it youd have driver crashes and reboots/ shutdowns.

What's your cpu temps like under load?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Does this only happen in specific games? You may be testing it with different cards, but the problem may be software, i.e. driver/ game optimization. I've not used the RX 6900 XT before, but I tested both the RX 6800 XT and 6600 XT, and both works fine for me in games.

In the screen capture you shared, you probably applied V-Sync which seems to cap the FPS to 60. So the CPU and GPU usage looks reasonable to me.

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
I doubt psu. That's a good unit and yes the card can spike power but so does 3080ti and that runs fine on my Corsair rmx 850w with 11700k no oc. If psu wasn't up to it youd have driver crashes and reboots/ shutdowns.

What's your cpu temps like under load?
at 1080p 40s and my cpu is at 50-60 clocked at base clock it was hopping to 4.9 before and my ram i set it to 2666mghz and it seemed more stable i go over 3000mghz and my system bootloops i turned off SMT and saw improvements? havent tested 4k was gonna do it today and i ran into another issue my mobo's lights blink red than white and it turns on idk what the issue with that is? my cpu was seated right no bent pins and i boot up just fine so idk what the issue with that is

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Does this only happen in specific games? You may be testing it with different cards, but the problem may be software, i.e. driver/ game optimization. I've not used the RX 6900 XT before, but I tested both the RX 6800 XT and 6600 XT, and both works fine for me in games.

In the screen capture you shared, you probably applied V-Sync which seems to cap the FPS to 60. So the CPU and GPU usage looks reasonable to me.
true yeah vsync was on but the screen tearing was bad i installed the driver without adrenaline because i thought the app was the problem idk i might re install the andrenaline app so i can test out a few settings as installing only the driver didnt fix a thing

boju

Titan
Ambassador
at 1080p 40s and my cpu is at 50-60 clocked at base clock it was hopping to 4.9 before and my ram i set it to 2666mghz and it seemed more stable i go over 3000mghz and my system bootloops i turned off SMT and saw improvements? havent tested 4k was gonna do it today and i ran into another issue my mobo's lights blink red than white and it turns on idk what the issue with that is? my cpu was seated right no bent pins and i boot up just fine so idk what the issue with that is

What bios revision are you on? Depending on when it was last updated, there's quite a few fixes to compatibility, stability and performance.

Return xmp to defaults if you update.

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
What bios revision are you on? Depending on when it was last updated, there's quite a few fixes to compatibility, stability and performance.

Return xmp to defaults if you update.
4408 just updated it the other day

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok maybe there isn't anything wrong with system itself so let's focus more on monitor side of things. It's gsync right and rtx 2080 looks good on it. What refresh rate is monitor?

What confuses me is you tried vsync but that didn't help. Try; whatever refresh rate your monitor is, cap fps 1 lower than that (using fps limiter in Adrenaline when you reinstall) and turn on vsync.

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Ok maybe there isn't anything wrong with system itself so let's focus more on monitor side of things. It's gsync right and rtx 2080 looks good on it. What refresh rate is monitor?

What confuses me is you tried vsync but that didn't help. Try; whatever refresh rate your monitor is, cap fps 1 lower than that (using fps limiter in Adrenaline when you reinstall) and turn on vsync.
rx 6900 xt stutter galore on guardians of the galaxy yeah i went back to my other card the 2080 ti i got a gsync monitor ran perfect its a 144mghz but i capped it at 60 ran good no issues with it off though just gsync i had to change a few things on evil west i had to go from full screen to borderless window it ran good than i ran guardians of the galaxy on the xbox app with gsync still got stutters until i saw a video showing how to fix the stutter by disabling all the cores for the xbox app accept 1 did all the same steps again on 6900XT didnt fix a thing maybe i need a free sync monitor to fix the issue oh borderlands 3 still get screen tearing even with vsync on and i capped the frames 1 below the refresh rate maybe its my ram idk i see the red light on my mobo blink red but it posts just fine im at my ends to messing up my hair line maybe these games are just badly optimized and i need to test others

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Here's a thought. Go back to Intel 😁

Not sure what the red light is about. Maybe mobo is faulty.
i went back to intel same thing happen with the red light no idea what that is but i know the issue is with the GPU now idk if its a driver related issue i tried the rec driver and optional i'll need to test previous drivers hopefully it works out