[SOLVED] AMD Component Compatibility

Jcharby

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2015
Hi everyone,

Had the itch to finally upgrade my desktop that has been out of commission for a while. Currently have an AMD 1600X on an ASUS ROG Strix 350b II motherboard (pretty old system haha). I've been looking to buy either a rtx 3060 or 3060ti and a 5600X. I was surprised when i plugged the new CPU and GPU into PC Part Picker and got the error that the 5600X and the ROG Strix 350b motherboard are incompatible with one another despite the chipset being AM4 on both. No other details are given other than that. This error goes away when I switch the motherboard out for the Strix 450b.

I suppose I have 2 questions

Is this error accurate? I don't see why the CPU and old motherboard are incompatible.
If they are compatible and PC Part Picker threw the error mistakenly, is there any worth in using the Strix 350, or is it so outdated I would just be opening the door for future problems?

Solution
B350 came out quite a while ago, the chipset that technically matches the 5600X is B550/X570.

This particular board did not receive BIOS updates to accommodate the latest chips. Though some 300 series boards have.

You can contact ASUS directly to see if they have future plans for this motherboard. Otherwise an upgrade is going to cost you a motherboard.

It comes down to how many CPU profiles a BIOS can store. Since AM4 lasted as long as it did, there isn't room in the BIOS memory to handle every AM4 chip. Newer boards also don't support the older processors for this same reason, and 300 and 400 series boards that are updated also lose the ability to operate the older chips.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
B350 came out quite a while ago, the chipset that technically matches the 5600X is B550/X570.

This particular board did not receive BIOS updates to accommodate the latest chips. Though some 300 series boards have.

You can contact ASUS directly to see if they have future plans for this motherboard. Otherwise an upgrade is going to cost you a motherboard.

It comes down to how many CPU profiles a BIOS can store. Since AM4 lasted as long as it did, there isn't room in the BIOS memory to handle every AM4 chip. Newer boards also don't support the older processors for this same reason, and 300 and 400 series boards that are updated also lose the ability to operate the older chips.

Solution