AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 145 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
@truegenius: core i3 likely won't launch in june. iirc core i3 and pentiums come out a few months after core i5 and i7 launches.

going from 6 core to dual core (despite htt and/or bclk oc) is downgrade. i think i've said this before....
yes you said it before that i3 will launch late
but it is exciting me this much that i want to sell it now but i am controling my self :p

yes you said it before too but if we consider single core or dual core execution then it will be an upgrade and it will use less power (kind of sick of power hungry chip, glad i have phenom and not a buldozzer :p )

and the softwares i use like video conversion and 7zip compresion are able to use full 6 core of my cpu but since i convert recorded uncompresed game video to mobile format then hdd is bottleneck here and thus no need to get more cores here

in 7zip compression, i prefer maximum dictionary and higher dictionary means higher ram usage and more threads means more ram usage
but i am limited to only 8GB ram which is not sufficient to use best dictionary size and all cores

so i am forced to to use less cores (regardless of minimal benefit from larger dictionary) and thus not using full potential of 1090t

so i3 or i5 seems good for my use :D

and i have no cars :( :p

better self-control is always good. save some more money (for new hardware budget) while you're at it. :D

i'm gonna ask: does the thuban (stock vs oc) have visible effect on the monthly power bill? i don't know rates at your location.
i always discourage 'futureproofing' as it is a myth. but software is becoming multi-core friendly everyday (or year). thuban's problem is that it lacked single core prowess when it launched and now when software is becoming multicore friendly, those softwares benefit from multiple strong core performance and higher core cpus are already available. but it, by no means, is worth exchanging with a core i3. an i5, may be, if the softwares you use don't scale higher than 4 cores (most don't, yet).

iirc thubans beat lynnfield i5s and sb i5s in video conversion benches, only lost to core i7.
cpu-based video conversion likes more cpu cores (even if lower clocked) and ram. i don't think hdd is your bottleneck. do you have room to try 16gb ram? have you tried using a 'ramdisk' (if you can't get an ssd)? i don't know your full config. if you need a cpu+mobo and/or ram change, you're gonna need larger budget.
7zip is arguably the only real world, everyday-use software that utilizes as many cores as you can throw at it.

okay, if you say so... i still strongly advise you to wait. i can sense your patience is slowly running out but at least wait a little longer.
haswell launch won't be smooth like ivy bridge(there were no known hardware bugs/glitches iirc). i am more worried about pricing. since amd has nothing new to offer this year (except kaveri later, but apus don't compete against i5), intel will have no competition. no competition, shrinking market, slow roll out - mean possibly higher prices, especially in retail.
haswell platform itself has its own set of problems. first, there's the usb 3.0 glitch. then, the influence of the fully integrated vrm isn't known. intel's 3d transistors are known to ramp up heat and power use after a certain threshold despite better stock performance (seen in ivb overclocking). i read a reddit 'ama' where an alleged intel engineer claimed that 'haswell overclocking will be worth it'. since it's intel (or amd, whoever) i'll believe it when i see it, especially when it comes to overclocking. haswell's early test show that memory performance has regressed so archivning will be affected among other ram-bound programs. haswell's focus is on laptops and mobile. at least asus and gigabyte seem to be spicing up their z87 motherboards. you'll get a load of sata and usb ports. wait till mobos get new pcb revision and have their bugs worked out and drivers improved.
intel will likely supply reviewers with golden samples of 4770k for better benchmark results (benchmarketing ftw...). so until people buy and post their experiences with haswell cpus, we won't know how it fares in real world. the closest to real world may be if toms put haswell cpus in q3/q4 system builders marathons.

i really, really wish amd followed through with their roadmap and didn't delay steamroller like this. their poor execution is causing problems for amd users. it did when bd delayed, and it's happening again.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Closer to computers? The XBox was a PC. Intel Pentium III, NVidia graphics chip, running Windows based kernel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_%28console%29

Things have changed a lot since then though. From 180nm down to 28nm.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013
De5_Roy- I do apologize to you, I honestly didn't mean personal insult, and am sorry if I misjudged your comment. There are so many fan boys, on both sides to be fair, that sometimes it gets frustrating. I have seen many a post from guys trying to convince people their i3 is ten times as powerful as an 8350 for example.

To save a lot of goggling, a drag racer is a vehicle expressly designed to go in a straight line very, very fast.
Basically think jet engine strapped to four wheels. A Mustang Cobra is an American muscle car, the fastest version of the Ford Mustang available. From personal experience they have good power to weight ratio and corner very well for a sports car. I was using the analogy because others were using car analogies... but I was pointing out that no sports car, or even stock race car, can beat a drag racer in a drag race. It is a very closed race, straight line see how fast you can go deploy parachute and stop. Quite frankly boring as heck to watch, but they do hit insane speeds. Just like in single core execution no processor can best iCore (and iCore hits insane speed with single core execution), but that is Intels "drag race" an in the box single core benchmark. When you throw in curves and turns, or in other words multi-threaded applications Intel is not in its "box" anymore, just like a drag racer is out of its environment on an oval race track.

No one is denying Intel's superiority in single core execution, they are the king of the mountain. But there is a lot more to computing than single core execution. Newer multi-threaded games are being played with higher FPS and much smoother on 8350 systems for instance. The single core execution benchmarks that Intel loves to flood the internet with are one trick ponies.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Like you said, things have changed. Back then Sony didn't have a PC chip in their console. Now both have PC (microsft hasn't officially confirmed this as far as I know but rumors seem to point there) architectures while Nintendo doesn't. Though considering that WiiU seems underpowered compared to next generation xbox/ps I'm not really seeing devs deviating from the x86 because they would be developing for three major platforms. If I recall correctly some developers have said that WiiU is insufficient for some of their latest/nextgen. game engines. Also this:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34203
"EA does not have any games currently in development on Wii U, said EA representative Jeff Brown."

2 out of 3 console players using a PC chips probably means that the third one will have to play along sooner than later or rely on developers to find their platform appealing enough (through funding perhaps) and inhouse development.

To tie this somehow to thread title (seems there's not much SR news circulating since we're wandering off topic): If Nintendo jumps on the x86 bandwagon later than MS/Sony they will have acces to better tech. Next year a custom Kavery chip with six CPU cores and 1024 shaders? Or perhaps two years from now its succesor with Excavator cores and 1536 shaders at 22nm litography. Throw in custom blocks for B-KD tree update/traversal and kiss raster engines goodbye. :)

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

My point exactly. In this last gen when games were ported from console to PC it was the Xbox 360 version they would port. The games were customized to run the very best that they could on Intel Pentium III arch. This gave an even bigger advantage to Intel in gaming as the games were already encoded to take full advantage of Intel's arch. Now the next gen consoles are slated to be even closer to modern PCs. On top of that this time around the games are going to be encoded to take advantage of AMD arch's strong points, while avoiding their weaknesses ---> no more games meant to run on a max of 3 cores where single core per core power is the most important feature, but heavily multi-threaded games.

Going along with this topic a little de5_Roy said "i really, really wish amd followed through with their roadmap and didn't delay steamroller like this. their poor execution is causing problems for amd users. it did when bd delayed, and it's happening again" I have to agree with you, as I am chomping at the bit to get ahold of Steamroller FX, and the delay is killing me!! However I wonder if AMD postponed it on purpose to launch around the same time as the next gen consoles. Both next gen consoles are running AMD arch, AMD knows they can't win the benchmark war because they are biased against them. I'm thinking they waited for two reasons 1) they can test Haswells strengths and weaknesses and tweak Steamroller a little before launch 2) The next gen of games made for the PS4 should perform better on Steamroller vs Haswell as they will be coded for AMD arch. I think that is what AMD is going to use as their "benchmark" scores, but those games have to be out on the market for them to be tested AMD vs Intel. I may be wrong, but I find it suspicious that Steamroller will be releasing end of 2013 beginning of 2014 and the next gen consoles are releasing for Christmas 2013.

no problem.
this is internet, each of us is posting and many, many people(..okay may be 2-3 people in my posts' case :p) are reading the posts, so opinions will just as varied. just don't let frustration get to you.

i only know of drag racers from tv programs such as 'world's most amazing videos' or various wipeout videos.
by my limited knowledge, even if a drag racer can't beat a mustang cobra, an stock race car or f1 racer can beat it, yes? afaik, it also depends on how the drivers are driving the cars. even though drag racers, stock cars and f1 all are typically street-illegal. again, don't think of it as comparing to cpus.

in terms of clockrate, i don't think core i cpus can beat zambezi or piledriver. iirc bd(arch) cpus have several clockrate world records under their belts.
multithreaded - is a blanket term. for example, if a software uses 4-5 cores and no more, it's still technically multithreaded, same if one uses 3 cores. multicore performance doesn't just depend on number of cores, but depends on multiple factors. statements like '8 core fx performs better than core i5' means all other factors are eliminated(cache hit, branch mispredicts, memory perf, ipc for the particular software etc.) and mostly the integer processing performance is being considered. like it or not, this is a highly specific scenario.

i remember seeing just one game, crysis 3, on multiple tech sites showing fx8350 performing on par or better than core i5, and in some cases, same or better than core i7 cpus. then toms tested it and put load on the cpu during the bench - the fx bowed down near core i3 level. it maintained near core i5 average fps but the minimum fps showed it. i don't if crytek later released a patch or anything.
the real problem isn't with developers' bias with intel, it is with amd's execution (e.g. isv-relationship). they have started to take the right steps (finally) and i am interested to see how much they benefit.
when cpu power is demanded, fx8350 is yet to definitively beat a core i3. however, the difference is much closer in 2013, and noticeably better than 2011, where 32nm pentium dual core really embarrassed fx cpus in gaming. core i5 performs visibly better in majority of popular games that demand cpu power (dual core and higher) - numerous benchmarks show that.
people who play games (not just hardcore pc gamers) don't care what compiler it's been compiled on, they care about performance and gaming experience. in an ideal gaming scenario, a cpu shouldn't even be a factor for gaming, the gfx card should be the sole concern. but the reality is different.
in the future, higher core cpus will keep gaining favor from developers but as far as ivy bridge, zambezi and vishera are concerned, both intel and amd will have new cpus available in the future.
the new consoles might be able to change how gaming uses pc hardware, but it will take time. consoles use customized pc hardware, they haven't launched yet, their success (sales) is unknown, pc gaming keeps gaining momentum - factors like these will affect pc gaming. it is also unknown how easy the porting will be, until devs actually start. i don't know how it will change, not gonna even argue if it will favor anyone specific, without seeing any credible proof. the future, unlike in 2011/12, is very interesting and promising this time, but it is also very very blurry. we won't know until we get there.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Steam Roller is coming out in early 2014? Damn, I was planning on buying an FX 8320 soon. Do you think Steam Roller 85xx would be supported by my motherboard? It's an older 970 model, so I'm not too sure on support.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

True we're still a long ways from Linux replacing the desktop OS of choice. With a new generation growing up on Android we are getting closer to a day when it might happen. Ubuntu and Steam for Linux are helping that along.

Nvidia GPU roadmaps aren’t an improvement with Volta
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/05/20/nvidias-volta-gpu-raises-serious-red-flags-for-the-company/
part of it is covered because it is analysis. but it has some vital bits. one of which is that kaveri was supposed to come out in late 2012. another one is the gpu roadmap amd and tsmc failed to follow through(glofo's 28nm also seems to have failed)... and usual nvidia failures.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Linux will never replace Windows, mostly because there are too many variants and most OEMs won't do it anyways. Linux is a good OS, better utilizes the hardware and is built on a much better system than Windows. Sadly, it will never see it's day.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I think the latest word was that SR would be AM3+ compatible so you should be good to go. There was discussion at one point of a new chipset but I don't know if that is happening or not.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Steamroller APUs may release by the end of the year, some think so some think not, but it is a safe bet that the earliest Steamroller FX won't be around until early 2014. Totally sucks as I upgraded to Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 to get a little boost out of my old Phenom II, but in preparation for Steamroller. Kind of hoping Steamroller doesn't require a new chipset by the time it releases, but it was only a $170 gamble, and it gave my old Phenom a lot more kick and new life.

"
Linux will never replace Windows, mostly because there are too many variants and most OEMs won't do it anyways. Linux is a good OS, better utilizes the hardware and is built on a much better system than Windows. Sadly, it will never see it's day."

This is a "loaded" comment, true and untrue. I don't think Linux will ever displace Windows in PC, however keeping in mind that to the best of my knowledge all Android platforms run Linux, I would have to say that it is seeing its day. When you consider all the android platforms there are probably more devices running Linux than Windows.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Alright cool, I should be able to wait then. I thought it was going to be October 2012 or something. I was a bit surprised when PD came out, it wasn't all hyped up like Intel chips are.

Edit: October 2014 I meant

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The point was more like AMD has the technology to compete with Intel when software uses its performance. Windows software is more optimized for Intel (Windows + Intel = Wintel).

You are right that someone running Windows does not care about how a FX-8350 is able to perform up to a 42% faster than an i7-3770k under linux. But at the same time, someone who runs linux, does not care about windows benchmarks.

AMD already released compiler optimizations for Steamroller, therefore when Steamroller was released compliers will be able to extract the performance, at least under linux with the bdver3 flag.

Think also that linux has about the same share market than Windows 8 on the desktop.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

My last news are that Kaveri (steamroller cores) is scheduled for this year.

Yes linux has twice the share of windows when you count also mobile/tablet. Toms has a nice article about that

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/linux-windows-microsoft-android-ios,20220.html

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

I knew that Kaveri is scheduled for release Q4 of this year, I was under the impression that the APUs would release first and the FX series wouldn't release until Q1 2014. Not complaining if the Steamroller FX releases this year, can't wait to get one and see what my rig can really do:D

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

I suspect that they might go for AM4 with AM3+ backwards compatibility.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
i'm gonna ask: does the thuban (stock vs oc) have visible effect on the monthly power bill?
electricity bill is not a problem because i my mobile offloaded some work of my comouter like internet, games, music, videos etc

main problem is summer
at stock clock and voltage, my cpu can go over 80'c in few minutes of prime95

currently i am using my cpu at 3.6ghz@1.275v with 2 cores dissables and it hit 70'c in few minutes of prime

in winter i ran it at 3.6ghz@1.3v on all cores and it remained near 60'c during prime95

due to this much heat, my room feels more hot (in winter, this extra heat was a plus point :D )

even my hd6770 cross 100'c in few minutes of furrmark extreme burn test @1080p with a clock rate of 960gpu/1360mem
but in winter it remained below 80'c even at 1000gpu/1400mem clock rate

i always keep side cover off of my cabinet :p

a new heatsink wiol help but will make my room hotter :p , so summer is causing problems, that is why lower tdp i3 or i5 (with bclk overclock) are looking good for me

and yes i will wait for reviews of i3/5 haswell and price drops :) and will also keep an eye on steamroller ;) (steamroller in summer :whistle: )

What country and what cooler you got?

AMD must have something up their sleeve if they're recruiting many high status people, maybe it's the consoles, excellent new hardware designs, or both.

Its all in all the big picture, AMD are not focused on a singular design at a time and Rory Reed often will get painted with the wrong brush but compared to Hector Ruiz, Reed actually has a sound business plan and AMD are heading the right way now. Reed has always been serious about getting AMD right and all the hard decisions that had to be made were done in the interest of the company's long term.

if heat(temperature) is this much of a problem, i don't think overclocked haswell is gonna change that. i am just speculating btw, based on how ivy bridge behaved. but you might get more performance under similar thermal limits with appropriate cpus. possibly one of the best thing you might get with the new cpus (from intel/amd) is turbo - you might be able to set turbo limits instead of having to disable cores to keep things cool at less load and full throttle at high load.

when i finally got rid of my prescott(or was it northwood? i [strike]blocked out[/strike] forgot), i realized how much cooler my room became. the silence was golden, due to the absence of the cooling fans working overtime to keep things cool (despite regular cleaning). the heat that near-instantly dehydrated (and may be caused premature balding(!)...?) me after gaming, was replaced by usual cool ambient.....hot ol' days..... ;)

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Wow, and I thought I liked to push the thermal limits of the Phenom II:pt1cable:

What is your ambient room temperature?

I know that this isn't a Phenom II thread, but those temperatures are just way too high. Most overclockers wont push a Phenom II past 55C and if they hit 60C (during Prime 95) they will reduce the clock speed. I know in your situation your not overclocking and running at stock, but you have a serious heat problem. Disabling a couple of cores may not be enough, you should really consider underclocking your enabled cores and really should get a good or better aftermarket cooler. In my opinion the best air cooler would be the Hyper 212 EVO, and I would highly recommend replacing the stock fan (that comes with the Hyper 212) with 2 of these fans in a push pull configuration: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706032

I have the Hyper 212 EVO with 2 of those fans in a push, pull and in my opinion it is almost as effective as water cooling, better than some water coolers. If you need further cooling for your GPU and motherboard I would recommend replacing a couple of your case fans with these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213001
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706022

Using the Hyper 212 EVO and Delta fans I have hit some amazing overclocks with minimal heat, at least a lot less than what you are experiencing at stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.