AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 146 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
What country and what cooler you got?
Delhi, India :D
room temperature remains between 35-40'c (yay its summer :'( (sarcasm ;) ) )

stock heatsink with side cover off of cabinet

btw cpu temperature during idle @1ghz@0.80v with 5 cores dissable and ht @200mhz and nb@1ghz@0.95v is 48'c and 49'c at load (i think it is cpu vrm temp :??: , its temp 2 reading on gigabyte board)
core 0 temp is 35'c on idle and 36.5'c during prime 95

seems like a hot pc, or maybe i am too hot :whistle:

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
(unable to edit upper post)

What is your ambient room temperature?
see in previous post :)
also lets talk about my gpu temp ;)
hd6770 idle @157/300 @0.95v
long idle minimum temp is 55'c which is 5'c down from temp just after boot

i will buy hyper 212evo but after launch of haswell i3 because then i will get free brackets for lga1150 thus saving few bucks and minimising hassle of searching parts and making sure that hyper 212evo will be fully compatible with current 1090t (in case of failwell) and with new lga1150 too

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Stock cooling for Phenom II is usually fine, if your case has enough cooling and fans, if ambient room temperatures aren't too high, and if you never intend to overclock. If you have a problem with any of those conditions the very first thing to do is upgrade the heatsink. What size and how many case fans do you have?

I hear people tell me all the time I push my Phenom II too hard and am going to burn it up. Over the winter (not too good with C, but in PA we had several weeks where the temperature was 5F) I set my vCore to 1.62V and set my overclock to an insane level, however even with that torture I never went above 61C under Prime 95. People say not possible, but they haven't seen my set up. I had the heat turned off to my gaming room, I have a mid-tower gamer case with lots of cooling, and am running 5 Delta 4000 RPM 150 CFM fans, along with 3 blue led 120 mm fans. I have 2 Deltas in a push pull on my Hyper 212 EVO, one directly over my GPU blowing air on it, one as an exhaust over my RAM, and one as an exhaust out the back near my NB, the blue led 120mm are set up as secondary exhaust out the top of the case and the other two blow air in from the front. When I stress the computer and all the fans crank up to high it is a literal wind tunnel. At stock all the Delta fans are controlled by the motherboard and are around 1000 RPM so noise isn't an issue until the computer is stressed by a demanding game (Crysis 3 ect) or Prime 95.

I would recommend the first best step you can take is go for aftermarket cooling. If your not comfortable with an air cooled set up like mine, and your case is large enough liquid cooling would require less hardware but is usually more expensive. Keep in mind that some of the cheaper liquid cooling solutions aren't as good as some air heatsinks, to get good liquid cooling you'll have to pay for it. With the right cooling Phenom IIs can be overclocked to nice levels and really aren't "hot processors".

That is why you are running hot, I stay in a country that is hot in summer but not as hot. The stock coolers are not designed to take an overclock and 500mhz OC is still a bit of an OC for a Thuban and your stock fan will not really cope well. My A10 can hit loads of 60'C on the fuddy duddy stock cooler it comes with, threw on a CM Hyper 212 Evo and the temps under load fell to 40ish max, added two high pressure fans and the temps fell from 3-5*c on top of that. I can hit a 5ghz OC with 1.465v and a graphics OC to 1050mhz on even a basic 212 EVO.

A i5 3570K with say the 1.3v at 4.5ghz with a stock fan will be dead within a month.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

there won't be an AM4. Next stop for AMD is supposed to be their unified socket (most likely FM3 if they keep the same naming scheme as excavator will have igp). The only thing AM4 would have brought is pci-e 3.0, but Asus already has that on AM3+. http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FXGEN3_R20/

8350rocks

Distinguished

AM3+ is supported for steamroller...that means your 970 series board will work...likely with a BIOS update.

8350rocks

Distinguished

The one version of this that I see gaining enough ground to become a large minority is Ubuntu. It's supported by Canonical in a similar fashion to windows, has similar features, arguably the best stability, and the UI is very similar to the Windows 7 desktop in a lot of ways. Ubuntu also has cloud service, and office programs that share file extensions with MSOffice...so you could have cross compatability. Plus, Adobe and many other companies make software for Linux, especially rendering software...dreamworks and many of the other large animation/rendering houses are already on Linux using the software to render from it.

Also, if you consider, even the US Government has conceded Linux is worthy by switching over. Many public/private sector entities are switching over because it's more efficient, and has better security than windows.

Ubuntu is the poster child for Linux getting into the mainstream. You can even "test drive" Ubuntu without having to install it, it runs off the disk they will ship you. If you don't like it you don't have to install it.

Not sure, but I think they still offer the option to install Ubuntu through windows installer as well, and you can uninstall it from your windows program manager control panel. WINE will also allow you to run any windows program in a virtual box on your machine, so if you have to have certain windows software, you can run it on Linux too.

The at large public hasn't changed over, largely because they're afraid of change...(see windows 8). Though, even I don't care for the execution of windows 8, Microsoft is trying to ram it down consumer's throats, and I think some people will get irritated and either hang on to windows 7, or search for another viable option other than MS software.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

you could always go this route, http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/hpc-3000.asp :heink:

probably should go with a more affordable one tho. http://www.amazon.com/TurquoPower-PSAC-18-Portable-Spot-Conditioner/dp/B001JTGZS2

no clocks yet. 5 billion transistors tho. Thats almost the same as tahiti + cpu.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/#hardware
A single 40-nanometer chip contains both the CPU and GPU rather than the two dedicated 90-nm chips needed in the 360. In fact, a custom SOC (system on a chip) module made by AMD contains the CPU/GPU chip, the memory, the controller logic, the DRAM, and the audio processors...

I am not sure, but isn't jaguar on a smaller node than 40nm? Also, they must be counting everything on the SOC into the transistor count, thus the reason it seems so high.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

While I don't think there will be am AM4 before Steamroller, I'm not convinced that there will never be AM4. I know that awhile back AMD announced their unified socket, more than likely FM, that will end the FX line and all AMD will be APU. That was announced back when AMD was having serious financial problems, and their financial situation has changed a little since that time. AMD has brought FX in striking distance of i5 and in some cases i7 with Piledriver, and Steamroller will close the gap even more, or may even equal or overtake iCore. All of that is a debate within itself, however I don't know if an AMD company that is not under the gun financially will kill its top end processors.

I'm sure there will be FM3, however I have yet to see an APU that can best the FX 8350. The only way I can see AMD axing the FX series is if the APUs are powerful enough to become the new flagship processors. Kaveri may showcase the very first true flagship APUs, but if Steamroller FX is still more powerful, and is on more or less equal footing with Haswell i7 then I just can't see AMD following through with the unified socket and killing its top end FX processors. If AMD decides to keep its FX line going then AM4 may have excavator cores.

jaguar should be 28nm, the gpu should be 28nm too. iirc brazos apus were 40nm.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

My thoughts were the same. That would rule out the possibility of it being Jaguar, which is what we know is going to be in the PS4. AMD never made any other cpu's on 40nm AFAIK, so it looks likely to be a custom Brazos. That would place it by far at a disadvantage to the PS4 chip, CPU and GPU.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
cowboy44, I disagree. APU doesn't mean strictly A-series (aka athlon). there will still be an (FX - excavator). You can't have full hsa without the IGP being part of the chip. HSA programming won't take off if you only sell 50% of your product supporting it.

The difference will be in the confituration. AKA phenom to athlon, fx to A-series. To what extent the differences are is an unkonwn, but both chips will fit on one motherboard.

okay... a quick little search revealed charlieD claiming that early prototypes had 32nm chips while the production version may have 28nm. apparently the pr is saying both 32 and/or 28nm. i sense a pr mess somewhere. people are saying that 5b transistors with 40nm is strange (among other adjectives). i think we should wait for a while for more correct data (when has a corporation done right kinda p.r.? :p). i was doubting a 40nm cpu (apu) scaling to 2x 4 core per module in a big chip, though.
meanwhile, most tech websites are sticking with "octocore cpu, 8gb ram". so far only wired has put an 'x'-nm on the chip. no mention of clockrate or ram type or anything else.
only kind of publicity is bad publicity, so i suspect ms is trying to generate some kind of interest unless it really is a mess. basically, a tiny but noticeable-among-the-tech-conscious error used to generate interest among tech sites to have them ask for more info and some back and forth thus generating hype (and free advertising vs the still-elusive ps4).... i might be reading too much into it....

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hopefully ASUS does release a bios update for it... They haven't released one for my board model since October 31st, 2012. If not an FX 8320 then maybe a PII. They still have 965 BE's and 1045Ts at a nearby microcenter for $80 each. If I got a 1045t, what would be the max I could OC it to in your opinions? (Yes, I know it's not unlocked)

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It is an APU, which means some rumours that AMD would be providing only the CPU are now shown to be false.

Microsoft claims 8x graphics performance over the Xbox 360. My computation is that this APU gives something as 1.9 TFLOPs.

Kubuntu (Ubuntu core plus KDE UI) looks as Windows 7 and its old desktop paradigm. Ubuntu uses the Unity UI, which is a new and fresh graphical interface. First versions were bloated, buggy and limited, but now is very mature, stable, and fastest than windows.

This new UI is called unity because is designed to be used in any computing device from a workstation to a mobile.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Not really the same. They've done shared cache for a while. The modules are really just for power/clock gating. They're not sharing an FPU or other resources like Buldozer does.

It's similar to Core 2 Duo, just more of them (up to 8) on a die instead of an MCM package.

Also, if you consider, even the US Government has conceded Linux is worthy by switching over. Many public/private sector entities are switching over because it's more efficient, and has better security than windows.

Not just no, but hell no. The US Government most certainly isn't using Linux as a desktop OS and NT (Server 2003/2008/2012) is the prevalent server OS. You only see Linux is net-app style devices (McAfee security devices, RPAs, IDS and various other utility systems) or where they deploy ESXi. For heavy processing Solaris is the preferred choice, previously on SPARC but their now using x86 due to costing. This is pretty much the same thing you see in Corporate America and for a very good reason.

Microsoft provides an extremely wide range of management services and solutions along with best practices and a very robust credentialing system. That all works to reduce man-hour requirements for administration of IT services which is the largest driver of IT cost. A handful of college students with Linux knowledge may be able to provide services for small business's but absolutely doesn't work for Corporate solutions. The predominate Linux for big corporate isn't Ubuntu but RHEL and it's twin sibling CentOS. Anyone who's planning on working Linux in big IT needs to be intimately familiar with RHEL.

jdwii

Splendid
Like i said there's no info on what GPU their using and don't forget their combining everything into ONE processor(or APU)

That is why its 5B Transistors a 8 core Jaguar i think is around 400 Million Transistors alone and then we can take a look at how much the Ram and such is going to take up space as well as other things their putting into it. Either way you look at it APU's are the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.