AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 152 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

The UI of Windows 8 doesn't bother me, but it's still really buggy and unstable. It also has issues running some older games that I still play occasionally. Until Microsoft can fix this Windows 7 will be the only option for me.

Im pretty sure windows 8 and windows 7 uses the same legacy mode when running old software.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
A10-6800K-AIDA64.png

http://wccftech.com/amd-a10-6800k-richland-apu-performance-unveiled/

Anyone know what is AMD chipset K15.1? I'm not familiar with AMD chipsets outside of 990FX, 970FX, etc. And, yes, this is a leak from the upcoming launch in June.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Well, not all programs that work on Windows 7 work on Windows 8.

what kind of use does he have? If he doesn't need extreme performance, get a A10 5700 with an SSD and it will be all he will need.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I already ordered the 5800k (It was $1 more so I figure I might as well have). He's just doing basic office things, though he'll probably want it to last awhile.

should be good, reason to choose the 5700 ober the 5800k is you probably don't need OC for an office PC and lower power and lower heat is nice.

jdwii

Splendid

http://www.geek.com/news/kapersky-labs-releases-gpu-anti-virus-that-runs-360x-faster-than-on-core-2-duo-cpu-1019451/

I've only heard of it once and that is with Nvidia and that article is over 3 years old.

jdwii

Splendid

I've had issues with several programs when starting 8 that never happened when i jumped to 7 when i had vista.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I think that's the SB950 chipset on 9XX series MBs and A75/A85 FM2 MBs

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I can always downclock it if I need to, but for now it should be fine.

This is a difference between environment and kernel. Windows 7 and 8 have near identical kernels but difference environments. Programs expect certain variables, file locations, configuration information and general behavior to be a certain way when their programmed. Some programs are smart enough to detect when something is different and try to work around it, others are patched to properly detect and deal with the new environment and still others are forgotten and stay broke until someone comes up with a band-aid for it. Programmers are notorious for using "undocumented features" as short-cuts. Those are just quirks in the OS's behavior that weren't specifically designed for and because their non-standard are subject to being changed on the next major release.

If people don't have a reason to go with Windows 8 then they should stay with Windows 7. A higher number is not always the best option.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I think a large part of the criticism of Win8 are just hidden complaints over no perf improvement. Win8 would have been readily accepted (Metro et al.) IF performance would have been increased.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Lately I've been using my Core 2 Duo computer running Scientific Linux 6.

So much less stress when you don't have to ring Redmond everytime you reinstall, then sit through multiple Windows updates as you manually use installers to install your apps (solving things like missing .Net) while you also optimise your computer for SSDs.

Provided you stay in the repos, everything is sweet.

I'm a fan of CentOS myself. Gotta add a few more repo's due their policy of sticking with strict RHEL stuff. Otherwise amazing linux distro, though not for Linux newbs.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Apparently AMD is launching 28nm Desktop GPUs this year:
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-hd-8000-series-reportedly-launching-q3-2013-specifications-revealed/

I don't know if I would believe this though. The 8870 is a 7870 XT rebranded, and it cost more? I can buy dual fan model for like $240 on a good day. Also the 8950 is pretty much the same chip with more vram, but on 256-bit. This is definitely a questionable rumor.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I have no idea wether that blog is a reliable source or not. But a 30% performance improvement in highly parallel workloads doesn't seem far fetched if SR is being pictured here compared with Piledriver. We allready knew about dedicated decoders but in this shot it seems that the floating point units have been doubled up from PD!

http://i.imgur.com/b33tNAp.jpg

Perhaps Steamroller will be a hit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.