AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 150 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

You do realise that the Jaguar in the consoles is a prototype Jaguar and far more robust than in AMD's mainline of products, Sony and MS specially ordered these cores at a much higher cost and hence they deliver much more performance.

I don't see what is so disappointing, it was comparitive with the i3 with all round lower clocks and RAM frequencies and did what was expected, opperate on low power consumption if you are expecting a supercomputer from a 15w part then you were living in la la land.

The price is always high at the start. AMD is expecting ultrathin laptops with these at the $500 mark and normal laptops at $350. Price will drop pretty fast once supply is ready I would assume.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I'm far impressed with these 15w A4's. Shoot, AMD is getting straight jiggy with intel here. People wanted lower power consumption, they're getting it!

Also, whats in the consoles are 8 core CPUs, not these little quad cores being benchmarked. I also heard they're clocked higher? There's still a lot of speculation floating around on consoles. It's almost like a totally different beast. It's lean like an Olympic runner, but I don't see it lifting heavy.

Again the consoles are custom Jaguar designs not mainstream Jaguar and hence a lot more powerful. And again the A4 5000 competes with 35w Laptops when its strength is premised for ultrathins and tablets.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I am well aware of the way the DoD apprises things...and openness of code was never a problem...security loopholes were the issues. I am not going to dive any further into that, as I can't really elaborate on the subject...

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

AT actually has 4 kabini/jaguar articles.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6976/amds-jaguar-architecture-the-cpu-powering-xbox-one-playstation-4-kabini-temash/4

The major change between AMD’s Temash/Kabini Jaguar implementations as what’s done in the consoles is really all of the unified memory addressing work and any coherency that’s supported on the platforms. Memory buses are obviously very different as well, but the CPU cores themselves are pretty much identical to what we’ve outlined here.

we have seen in bd/pd how changing a little on the outside of the core can have an impact.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6974/amd-kabini-review/3

kabini vs arm/i5. Even ARM's A15 is 40% slower than kabini at a faster clock speed. The best ARM Gpu is 50% of kabini. ARM isn't taking over DT any time soon.

The interesting matchup will be the 4W temash vs atom.

Kabini hit the power numbers easily on the cpu side, coming in at only 11.5W for total system power during the test.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6981/the-kabini-deal-can-amd-improve-the-quality-of-mainstream-pcs-with-its-latest-apu/2

and on another note, that A4 - 4000 doesn't look like richland at all ...

A4 4000 ... AD4000OKA23HL ... 7480G ... 65W ... 3.0 ghz ...

Vs official richland numbers.

url]

jdwii

Splendid

I guess so, From a performance perspective it looks like its half the performance of Trinity looking at the majority of the benchmarks since it has half the Power consumption i suppose its ok. I was just going by Toms reviewer and I would never Pay more then 400-500$ for a tablet with this in it and i wouldn't pay more then 350$ for a laptop with this in it. I still don't get this whole tablet,Ultrabook thing anyways. Me i'd rather have a A10 Richland laptop and a smartphone on the go.

Also i would LOVE to see how "supercharged" this design is for the consoles and what that actually means outside of marketing. I hope sites review that when it comes out because if it has anything short of Piledrivers IPC its going to be quite pathetic honestly from a consoles viewpoint.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

PS4 and XBO Jaguar parts are not prototypes, they are APUs with custom Sony/MS intellectual property added on.

For example, PS4 APU might have proprietary Sony Vector Units derived from what was in Cell. This was a big thing that AMD was talking about before, "offering building blocks where clients can add their own intellectual property into a final APU."

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Would have been nice to see powerconsumption. Though if it is like with the pentium, jaguar using half the power of the a8, (which I would say might be roughly the case as the a8-3500 has a tdp of 35w) It would be quite awesome. 80% of the performance using half the power.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Supercharged by having twice as many cores (8 vs 4), and 6-9 times more Graphic compute units. Kabini only has 2 CU compared to Xbox (12 CU) and PS4 (18 CU). PS4 also gets GDDR5 and Xbox One has 32mb eDRAM. The extra custom stuff is likely just for DRM but combined that easily qualifies the term supercharged.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Pretty sure no1 does right now, other then AMD. Hopefully. it is at least 15% stronger clock for clock with Piledriver (single thread) though, and even if it is only 10% stronger, I will still buy the 8 core chip because Intel's Failwell give AMD more time to catch up!

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I don't think IPC is going to be as important anymore to get your game to run and look fantastic. Now that the console coding will be PC friendly, I think the difference between an i7 and a FX 8350 are going to be minor compared to what it was. I think AMD is going to have the CPU department in the bag with steamroller. We're soon going back to the days when investing into a GPU was far important than investing into a CPU.

I'm predicting more benchmarks are going to start looking like BF3 With this 8 core support.

jdwii

Splendid

But it still has the horrible single threaded performance(60-90% of a K10 Consoles CPU is basically a 1.2Ghz 8 core Athlon II), why didn't they just go with a 4 Core Processor at a clock speed of 3.2Ghz.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
The only thing is, how long it will take games to scale better against multiple cores? Will it be 2014 or 2015? Will the new consoles even affect PC gaming? In the coming years more cores will eventually take over, but by then Piledriver and Bulldozer may be too old to benefit. I haven't even run into a game that stresses my current system out yet, but I still want to upgrade for some future proofing (and I want to be able to max Sims 4 out next year).

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Many mainstream consoles games take between 9 to 12 months to get onto shelves. We'll just assume an average of 10 months. If the PS4 and XBO launch in November 2013, excluding the release of pre-development and launch titles, a true flood of additional games will begin to arrive in September 2014. So you aren't wrong to expect this shift in game processing expectations to occur until 2014+. However, I don't anticipate Bulldozer or Piledriver 8XXX chips to be incapable of console port gaming by that time.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Yea the 8 steamroller cores should outdo a 4 core i5 with the new consoles, which means if you bought an AM3+ board, it could be the best investment of your life!

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Power consumption. The Jaguar cores are twice as efficient per watt, which leaves room for the 18 CU GPU.

You're looking at a 130 Watt GPU coupled with a 40 Watt CPU. That adds up to quite a beast in a single chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.